Forums Latest Members
  1. Pakiwi Jul 15, 2016

I am new around here. Have visited this site many times through my career as I was looking for an Omega to wear on a regular basis but things got in the way of a purchase (kids, kids and stuff). My father had an Omega 166.118 that he wore every day and I admired the preciseness of the design and always desired an Omega. So after my father passed away I got his watch, his fathers watch and his grandfathers pocket watch. All still working and in wearable condition with paperwork for all but the pocket watch.

So for my next watch I am going to look at a watch I can pass down to my family. But really have no idea where to start. Its not to make money on, its to wear and maybe have a few stories about and a few photos to pass on. I purchased a used 3523.30 as a watch I can wear on a daily basis. Wanted something that is waterproof, fancy enough that I can wear with a suit, but not ostentatious that calls attention to you, yet subtle enough that anybody that knows watches may ask for a closer look. I like this watch, but its not the watch that I am looking at. I will buy either new or a birth year watch.
    I would like to keep it Omega. It has to be waterproof because I wear it and forget to take it off when I am in the shower or while I am cycling. I was going to seriously look at the Moonwatch, but having a requirement for waterproof makes this a non starter.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Also can I authenticate the one I did purchase with somebody that has access a database.

Really enjoyed my reading and overwhelmed with info.
    Allan

watchbmw.jpg
  2. dx009 Jul 15, 2016

Are you thinking of a certain style of watch ? Dressy/sportsy ? Leather or metallic bracelet ? What approximate budget would you have ? Mechanical only ?
    How about a Seamaster 300 ? It works well with both leather, nato and metallic bracelet... Not too big and not too small... It gives off both a vintage and a modern vibe...
    [​IMG]

Edited Jul 15, 2016
    Pakiwi and tpatta like this.
  3. Pakiwi Jul 15, 2016

I really haven't settled on a style. As much as I like the dressy, the Planet Ocean Chrono 2218.50 is something that stands out to me as well but will look dated where as the classic and simple look of a moonwatch will no doubt last. It needs to be waterproof to some degree, not be easily damaged. (At the moment Ceramics scare me a little). Budget is secondary and honestly haven't looked at anything other than Mechanical.

4. Pakiwi Jul 15, 2016

Yes I like that. Classy but simple. Thank you.

5. demollo Jul 15, 2016

I like the Globemaster. Looks good on a bracelet and on a strap and has a clean dial.

[​IMG]

Seamaster 300 is also a great option.

Pakiwi and dx009 like this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 15, 2016

So if I'm right, and your father's watch is a 166.0188 you have a "dress" watch. You also have a chrono as pictured. In my opinion, perhaps consider a "dive" style watch next. From the modern range perhaps the 300 above or an Aqua Terra if the overt dive style does not appeal. Or of you don't mind going back a bit, a 2254.50 or 2255.80 sword hands/wave dial Seamaster.

But, above all, what you buy next should be what sings to you, not what other people tell you you should like.

Pakiwi likes this.
  7. Pakiwi Jul 15, 2016

Its information like this that is going to help. I really have no idea what to take a look at. I know what I don't want and anything else I am willing to take a look at. Thanks.

8. Donn Chambers Jul 15, 2016

This requirement:
    "It has to be waterproof because I wear it and forget to take it off when I am in the shower or while I am cycling."

IMO, limits you to either the Seamaster, Planet Ocean, or Aqua Terra line. The Seamaster 300 is a beautiful watch, and as others have said, looks good on a strap. I've seen lots of people wearing it with a suit. In fact, when I was in Austria, I saw one very well dressed gentleman of an advanced age wearing a nice pinstripe suit, tie, etc -- and a Seamaster 300 on one of the new Omega nylon NATO straps.

Really, in our modern world, there are no "rules" about what you can wear or not wear with a suit. It's more about personal style. Some my scoff, but if you look at the most stylish gentlemen in the world, they do whatever they damn well please. No socks with their shoes - check. Sneakers with a suit - check. No tie with a suit - check. A dive watch on a colorful nylon strap - check and check.

Nitzbar, flw, Pakiwi and 2 others like this.
  9. flw history nerd Jul 15, 2016

Not to throw a proverbial wrench into the works here (full disclosure: I have a Seamaster 300 and love it), but it may be worth remembering that the Speedmaster Moonwatch has a rated water resistance of 100 meters. In practical terms, you could probably wear it in the shower, or even swim (not dive!) in it recreationally, without an issue. (Just don't try to use the chronograph functions in water!)

That said, if you're worried at all about it, a Seamaster 300 (or an Aqua Terra) would be a great choice.

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 15, 2016

Hera are three classic options. a PO XL(Orange numerals) a PO 42mm or an Aqua terra. I grant you the PO's are larger but depending on your wrist they may still work. as you can see the 45.5 looks fine on my wrist which is slightly above 7.25

If you go for a PO I'd recommend the 2500d calibers over the 8500 for thickness.

Aqua Terra is always easy.

IMG_1040.JPG IMG_0757.JPG IMG_0509.JPG
    Pakiwi likes this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 15, 2016

Does it have to be new, there are still some of these around.

RMCU.jpg

TedG954 and Pakiwi like this.
  12. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 15, 2016

so let me get this straight, you show up here, talk about being left Dad's watch and Grandad's watch.... all very nice.....

and there's no pictures!

completely unreasonable! Pictures are required......

especially pocketwatches! Its like... a rule or something!

Sheeesh!

Perseus, trama, jud and 1 other person like this.
  13. Pakiwi Jul 15, 2016

OK I learned something. For some reason I thought the Moondance was not waterproof. I thought I read a comment that Moonwatch G's and heat but not moisture. Thankyou for that correction.

14. Pakiwi Jul 15, 2016

I will have to dig up the Pocket watch. These are my grandfather's and fathers.
    My grandfather worked and retired from British Leyland and it's always good to wear when I take my MG Midget out.

IMAG0396.jpg IMAG0395.jpg IMAG0394.jpg IMAG0393.jpg IMAG0385.jpg
    Foo2rama, ahartfie and Fritz like this.
  15. Pakiwi Jul 15, 2016

No it doesn't. Can you provide some more info.

16. Pakiwi Jul 15, 2016

I never saw myself with a watch that had any orange in it. I'm pretty standard and conservative but that orange looks great on the PO.

17. Pakiwi Jul 15, 2016

Very interesting. Just reading a very long review on this watch. Thankyou for sharing.

18. trama Jul 15, 2016

Aqua Terra is a perfect watch. Bracelet to start, play with various straps, go NATO style for your big bike rides. What a fun thread.

19. ConElPueblo Jul 16, 2016

...Which modern Omegas aren't waterproof enough for that? The DeVille Orbis? A Speedmaster, for instance, would be just as suited for that job... Could even be used for timing while cycling. In fact, I have just worn my own Speedmaster for a week-long cycling holiday, wearing it in the shower at least twice.

20. Donn Chambers Jul 16, 2016

I'm sure the Speedmaster Pro could survive a shower or two if necessary, but I wouldn't want to take one into a shower on a regular basis as I interpreted the OP's original statement, unless I had pressure test done annually. Even then, I would hesitate. But that's me. Cheers.