Forums Latest Members
  1. Mike S Oct 13, 2021

So I need to rant. Last week I won a ebay auction listing from a seller by the name of it_ossa. Listing as follows.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/274960061420Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Auction was listed as a no reserve and it looked like a nice example of a tricompax. I proceed to wake up at 3 am and got the winning bid at what I feel was a reasonable price considering the market these days. (4k Euro) I proceed to try and pay for the watch and keep getting a error message only to find that the seller has cancelled the listing.

So I proceed to message the seller asking for clarification and get no reply back. I immediately suspected that this guy was unhappy with sale price and was playing games. Fortunately, to ebays credit you can leave negative feedback for cancelled items.

It was only after the negative feedback was applied to his account, the seller reachers out with this message

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 9.01.57 am.png

So I leave it as a sour ebay experience and think I should move on but not one week later, I see the same watch listed again by the same seller at a price 2k euro more than my winning bid.

New listing at

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274982606153Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Just a warning to be cautious with this seller.

jjen, bardamu, Magnix and 3 others like this.
  2. Dan S Oct 13, 2021

Yeah, this happens all the time and there aren't really any consequences. Sellers use an auction to gauge interest, cancel the sale, and re-list; saying that they are re-listing due to a non-paying bidder. ::facepalm2::

3. Charlemagne1333 Oct 13, 2021

Thanks for naming :thumbsup:

Now I know which tossa to avoid…

4. JwRosenthal Oct 13, 2021

Yup, had that happen to me, except I had paid and then he relisted at 4x the price and never canceled the previous auction so my money was in limbo. It took eBay about 3 weeks to get me my money back (they tried contacting him apparently), but they did it forcefully in the end by taking it from him and refunding my payment. And I left negative feedback, not that it would ever matter.

connieseamaster likes this.
  5. redpcar Oct 13, 2021

You could have left a little more strongly worded negative feedback. "Liar" comes to mind.

Mark020 likes this.
  6. Mike S Oct 13, 2021

So grateful that I didnt have any money left in limbo. To be honest, at that stage when I left the feedback, I didnt have proof he was a liar. I did keep track of his listings and when I saw that he had listed the watch again, it confirmed my suspicions. The goal was to warn the community about this seller and thats why I left the feedback. I have screenshotted the listings and reported it to ebay as a violation of their policies. Pretty sure nothing will come of this but I've done my part.

MtV likes this.
  7. wsfarrell Oct 13, 2021

I won a bidding war for a hyper-rare Gillette bottom-dial razor. I paid, and the next day the seller refunded my money. I figured he would re-list at twice the final price, but the razor never showed up again. When I looked at his other listings, there was only one: a "previously unseen" original signed Picasso for $900. People are strange.

watchyouwant likes this.
  8. machamp6650 Oct 14, 2021

I'm glad you did and I think it matters. For example, the ebay seller from the OP seems to have had a few shady dealings over the years and is now sitting at 95.8% (partly thanks to @Mike S ). That's enough to make me pause and do some extra due diligence before I would commit to dealing with this seller. Although I do agree that it's a shame this kind of behaviour is allowed to proliferate on ebay in the first place.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  9. tad Oct 14, 2021

Happened to me with a vintage Heuer Monaco. The seller was fairly blunt and stated that he couldn’t afford to sell it at that price. No idea why he didn’t set a reserve price. I did consider taking legal action but just couldn’t be bothered. Not even sure I would’ve have had any grounds to pursue this or that it would’ve been cost effective. Left him plenty of feedback.

10. imagwai Oct 14, 2021

Very annoying and the seller is likely being conservative with the truth, but I think it's always a good idea to discuss things with a seller prior to leaving any feedback. Given he has now issued a threat to leave negative feedback for you when you sell, I would make sure you block him as a buyer (you probably have done already).

11. vujen Oct 14, 2021

Yes, he's an idiot.

12. 166026 Oct 14, 2021

Some times they will sell the item outside of ebay , that's why you won't see it listed again.

13. Oku Oct 14, 2021

Lucky you! You should thank the seller!
    Imho, the watch is put together. For example, the dial is not consistent with the movement. Hands are relumed, date hand is wrong.
    That watch is listed for months now and does not sell...

But if you still want the watch and want to annoy the seller a bit, you can sue him to sell you the watch. According to ebay rules and european laws, you have a valid contract. He obviously still owns the watch and is obliged to fulfill the contract.

rosspo likes this.
  14. rosspo Oct 15, 2021

I came in second place to your bid - I agree with Oku that the watch has been put together (movement showing a lot of wear compared to dial, a few non original parts) but the dial and lugs are appealing.

I asked the seller if I could buy the relisted watch since I came in second and he said only for >6k euro!

15. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 15, 2021

Movement is most likely matching

16. mikeo1 Oct 16, 2021

How are some deciding the movement does not match the case? Does anyone actually have a list that ties the movement serial numbers to year of manufacture? I know there's lots of info on case serials but have never seen or found a list of movement serial numbers to year?

17. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 17, 2021

Well: I do have a list :D

18. bardamu Oct 17, 2021

Exactly the reason why I don't participate in ebay auctions.

19. mikeo1 Oct 17, 2021

Sharable??

20. rolokr Oct 17, 2021

Its a service dial, looks nice and very rare case. 5K reasonable 7K a bit high.

rosspo likes this.