Forums Latest Members

Informations about UG compax 885108

1. Aopa765 May 10, 2016

Hi all,

I need Help !

Can i have informations for this model UG ?

I don't know If all original so If You know something PLS Help Me ...

Many Thanks

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. Diabolik May 10, 2016

lovely example, very rare and correct (apart crown), probably a bespoke build;) ...

3. gop76 May 10, 2016

Isn't the center second hand lumed on this model? Are both, lumed and unlumed, correct?

4. bazamu wincer, not a bidder May 10, 2016

I've seen chrono hands like that before, but I've never really known if they're service hands or originals. The chrono hand on both of my Compaxes looks much more...to scale...than those larger ones. It's almost like they were taken from Space Compaxes or something. Truly conjecture on my part though - I don't confess to know if they were ever OEM/standard.

IMG_9585.JPG

5. Diabolik May 10, 2016

It is a very rare late sixties very early seventies watch. Things changed at UG around that time. Very little documentation available but in my eyes, it is right (even the box). Late space compax references have a similar hand set.

6. zr4484 May 10, 2016

first time i've seen pulsations on a black nina dial. but i have seen them on ninas so would say it is possible

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 10, 2016

It is possible
    DSC_0132.JPG

micampe, tcs, littlesheep81 and 4 others like this.
  8. Diabolik May 11, 2016

Wow Lou's ... Where were you hiding that one ?

littlesheep81 likes this.
  9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 11, 2016

It was my first UG, actually. Sold the bracelet unfortunately...a few years ago, before the UG mania exploded, for a pittance....:(

10. Aopa765 May 11, 2016

Many Thanks for your Help !

I have have one Space compax too(Thanks to DIABOLIK again for Your excellent work..)
    Is someone know this model with little hands to subdials ?

image.jpeg
    Gavin, littlesheep81 and ELV web like this.
  11. Diabolik May 11, 2016

As far as I know, and info is a little sketchy but the last runs of the space (which that one looks like) did have stick hands. I have seen one other with a similar configuration. This also seems to co-incide with nina's which in late sixties had stick hands (similar to your space).

upload_2016-5-11_13-14-11.png

upload_2016-5-11_13-17-8.png

Weird, as UG seems to have adopted stick hands with many of the 22xxx reference in the late 50s and 88xxxx at end of 60's (did they do a full circle or was it Bulova influences as seen in bulova moon watch)

upload_2016-5-11_13-8-11.png

ELV web likes this.
  12. JORBAR May 18, 2016

I wonder if These Evil Nina with Painted Logo on Dial shouldn't have the thick small hands on sub-dials ?
    Also center Red seconds hand shouldn't have center lumed ?
    Thanks for teaching me

13. Diabolik May 19, 2016

I am no more of a teacher than you are Grasshopper. What I know is that there is no set standard with hands and dials as UG references are not specific to a design. You will find many different combinations of dial and hands. The reference quoted for the compax you see is also used on the rarer exotic. What do you base your observations on ? Please elucidate ...:rolleyes:

14. JORBAR May 19, 2016

Hi Diabolik,
    Many thanks for your post reply to my question.
    I think I have not insulted you so don't understand you call me a Grasshoper...maybe it's your style !!!
    Again, like your picture posted above from a 'Nina Rindt', I don't succeed to find a 'Nina' or 'Evil Nina' with painted Logo on dial without thick small hands !?!?!
    I just really want to learn and take these doubts from my head because intend to buy an 'Evil Nina' that's all.

Maybe I do not know to make a correct search !?!?!
    If you can be kind enough to help thank you in advance if it bothers you as it seems let it go mate !

15. Diabolik May 19, 2016

Grasshopper is not a derogatory term and no offence meant! You are obviously very young and have never watched "Kung Fu"

With regards to thin and thick hands, the internet is not the beginning or the end of Universal Geneve knowledge. The 60s and 70s are not very well documented but there are plenty of examples that have thin hands with a printed "U". The link below is a good reference on the subject but there is more.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/thin-vs-thick-needles-of-the-later-compax.10805/

If you want a master po to quote on the subject, probably best to ask Lous or Jordn.

16. JORBAR May 19, 2016

Hi again Diabolik
    Too young...hehehehehe...yes at 64 I saw very few Kung-Fu indeed but even so don't see the liaison with that name "Grashopes" ?!?!?!
    Thanks for your help but I confirm what I said previously and on your link there is NOT a single 'Nina' or 'Evil Nina' with painted Logo on dial and thin subdial hands as I said !
    Only on Blue dial I don't know why !!!
    Ok that's enough I think and thanks again for trying to help me but my doubts are the same

17. Diabolik May 20, 2016

Your initial doubt was the existence of stick register hands with the printed "U" logo; clearly UG used stick register hands from the late 50s (as seen on early transitional compax reference 22706) through out the 60s and early seventies as seen on 885108 references as well as the late second gen space compax. I have no reason to doubt either of those references and believe they are 100% genuine :)

Actually, should the owner ever want to thin down his collection, i am dibs on both !