Forums Latest Members
  1. yahamshari Aug 3, 2013

No longer applicable.

Edited Jan 12, 2022
  2. Hijak Aug 3, 2013

You have a nice watch there...this is a front loader, meaning you access the movement through the crystal. These pictures aren't the best but from what can be seen the dial looks to be in very nice condition. Other more experienced forum members will chime in shortly...but how did you come to the $1700...did you see auctions at that or sold pieces at that?

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 3, 2013

Looks like it is engraved, That will drop the price a little.

4. Hijak Aug 3, 2013

I'm certainly no expert as far as this forum goes but to an experienced collector IMHO this is not in the US $1200 range. "Asking prices" is the key phrase here. Other information that would be handy would be a movement shot showing the serial # and the cal. #, not so easy to do with this type of case.

5. Hijak Aug 3, 2013

:unsure: This is your dads watch wouldn't you consider keeping it, its a beautiful heirloom piece! Have it serviced and wear it with pride...buffing the watch like that will also decrease the value, I wouldn't do it even if the engraving is shallow, buffed watch worth less than engraved watch. :(

6. Hijak Aug 3, 2013

That must have been painful...and I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If you get two people or more on ebay who want your Omega who knows whats possible, it may be worth a shot...it is a very nice watch.

7. Hijak Aug 3, 2013

I am not an expert on appraising the watches, however I have brought and sold several vintage watches. I currently own a Seamaster De Ville with the same case as yours but in stainless steel and I paid no where near the prices your quoting. However having said all of this I have seen stupid money paid on ebay for horrible watches that were shiny!

As far as the serial # and cal. # go, yes they are both on the movement of the watch. depending on what your watch guy would charge you it may be worth getting a picture of the movement, it will help sell the watch. many of these front loaders on ebay don't include a movement shot and you would be setting your watch apart with one. On top of that you would be able to identify the movement type (cal. #) and the serial # would identify the date of manufacture to others.

As far as the engraving on the back...I,m not sure it will cost you $200 off of the price but I would mention that it has a very light inscription and show pictures of the back. Of all your pics I think you can only see it in two, it is very light. And I would definitely not buff the back!

I hope this helps you in some small way, good luck with your sale.

Ed

8. seamonster Respectable Member Aug 3, 2013

Respectable Member yahamshari

eBay are trying to impose all sorts of new measures, hoping to stamp-out unethical practices. As a result of which, an innocent party like you, really in need of funds and had to sacrifice your beloved pieces, got caught in the net.

I know how you feel. Hopefully, your misfortune will be over, soon.

As with regard to your Omega, it is a beautiful watch and hopefully, it will find a good home.

Thank-you.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 3, 2013

To the OP.

You've limited your bidder pool in the first two auctions buy restricting bidders to those residing in the CONUS.
    Some people see this and think "OK, you don't want me to bid, then keep the fkn thing"

I'm sure there are bidders in the rest of the world who could be interested and therefore increase the chances of a proper auction.
    The more bidders you have the better your chances of realising reasonable market value.
    Postage out of the US isn't that expensive and you can limit your risk by excluding postage to countries like anything ending in "*stan" for example.

If you check some other ebay listings from professional sellers you'll get my meaning.

Good luck with your auction and good fortune ahead for you.

10. ulackfocus Aug 3, 2013

Just because the buyers are asking more money doesn't mean somebody will pay them that much. You ran your IWC on an open auction and the market determined what it was worth. Looked like it sold for a pretty fair price IMO. And don't complain about the price you got for your DateJust - it was a few hundred above market from what I've seen lately.

The 21 day hold SUCKS. It's not fair to an honest seller, and I got trapped in it to - AFTER I was an eBay member with 100% perfect track record for 4 years. I hadn't sold anything in over 12 months though so somebody arbitrarily selected my account for a 21 day hold once.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 3, 2013

I've seen watches like this sell in the $200 to $500 range. Due to the engraving, yours is probably on the lower end of this range.

Here are a few recent closed sales.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scarce-Vintage-Omega-Meister-Seamaster-Automatic-Caliber-552-Extra-Clean-/111121036653?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Omega-Seamaster-Automatic-Stainless-Steel-Cal-552-No-Reserve-/290952956001?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A115-Vintage-Mens-Omega-Seamaster-Automatic-Caliber-552-Gold-Plated-165-002-/171042158251?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The problem you have with trying to remove the engraving is that first, it's going to cost you something, which you may or may not recover in the sales price. Second, any polishing of the case will hurt the value as well. My feeling is that it's going to be a wash at best, so you may be better off leaving it alone and let the buyer decide what to do.

Good luck with the sale. At least if you list it here, you can set a price and see how you do. You can always go back to eBay.
    gatorcpa

12. ulackfocus Aug 3, 2013

Excellent idea since it's an heirloom. :thumbsup:

citizenrich and yahamshari like this.
  13. Hijak Aug 3, 2013

When your current situation is a distant memorie I think you'll be glad you did!

14. Sherbie Aug 4, 2013

Once your situation recovers ( and it will), you'll always be able to buy other IWCs and Rolex's - but you'll never be able to buy your dad's Omega again

keep it, service it, treasure it and wear it

15. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Aug 8, 2013

Hi, I would probably insure it for a little more, maybe $700. Nice originals will get harder to find and I think the prices will rise because lots of people are looking at these as a birth year vintage purchase. We get lots of questions from first time buyers about these De Villes. The service price range you have quoted is about right if you take it to a watch maker rather than an AD. If you are going to wear it daily 5yr intervals should be fine. If you only wear it occasionally then you can probably get away with longer intervals. Glad to hear you have decided to keep it and all the best for the future.

citizenrich likes this.
  16. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 8, 2013

I hate ebay. Not dislike but rather a visceral primeval screaming hate which boarders on pathological.

to the OP: for what it's worth you received a fair gross price for that particular rolex watch. For your future consideration never sell a rolex on ebay. You don't need ebay for that since theyre super liquid and so easy to sell.

I hope you have the opportunity to sell lots more Rolex watches in the future as you seem like a pretty nice guy. btw - Where did you work - BOFA?

if you don't mind I'm going to offer the buyer of your IWC 4100 bucks off ebay. If he's as weasely as you...imply, then he'll probably look to flip it quickly.

If I get the watch you're welcome to buy it back from me for whatever I pay for it. Hopefully I'll be around on this forum for a while. Keep in touch if you care.

-Rich

pS - like others wrote I'm glad you're keeping your dad's watch. Especially since your mom agrees! Mom is always right.

Central Scrutinizer and JimInOz like this.
  17. yahamshari Aug 8, 2013

Rich,

I will do all I can to never deal with eBay or PaylPal in the future. Their entire business model is not customer friendly. A $250 eBay fee plus $74.50 PayPal fee for the sale of a $2,500 watch?!!! Obviously these two monster sister companies are so big that they truly believe that they can charge their customers whatever they feel like it and people will still accept it. Shame on me if I do it again after this week. Then they hold the seller's money for "up to" 21 days before they release the funds, which then takes an additional 3 business days to be deposited into the seller's bank account! I thought we, the WallStreet investment bankers (legacy Wachovia = Wells Fargo), were the slick ones. I guess eBay and PayPal are slicker.

I suggest you contact Boris in Scottsdale, AZ but please don't mention we had this discussion. Keep your knowledge about the watch discreet. Boris is a cool guy and knowledgable about watches. He initially considered advertising the IWC watch for $5,200 and net $4,900 after eBay and PayPal grab their fees but it seems he felt $5,000 is a better Buy It Now asking price. I seriously doubt he will accept $4,100 or less than $4,700 outside of eBay. It would not hurt to make a fair $4,400 offer though. You would be getting a great running watch as I purchased it new, took very good care of it, and wore it only to weddings and funerals. If you buy this watch, I hope you enjoy it and take good care of it as well. You will get so many compliments on it.

Best,

- yahamshari

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 8, 2013

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I have to disagree with both of you. Go to any major auction house and you'll see a lot bigger and more expensive shenanigans than what you both described. Let's see, less than 15% overall commission on an auction sale? That's about half of what AQ or Sotheby's will charge you. Oh yes, and they charge the buyer a similar fee. So that's even less for you.

Yes, it can be frustrating dealing with a "customer service" rep in India, reading from a script. Been there too. Better to sell your watch here at a 0% commission.

However, as good as the people here are, there's a very limited number. On eBay, you're paying for the eyes. Thousands of people will be seeing your listings there as opposed to hundreds here. For an easy to sell watch like a pie-pan, you're definitely better off here. For something more obscure that isn't worth a small fortune, wouldn't know where else to go.

eBay knows this also.
    gatorcpa

Hijak likes this.
  19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 8, 2013

You're 100% right on that. There were also other online auction venues back then. eBay has bought most of them out. PayPal used to be independent also.

I can't speak for other people, but on eBay I always use a sniper (Gixen) with a single bid price. I'm not above bumping that up with a few minutes to go if I think I may have a chance, but most of the time my bid never goes in. I call that shill protection.

Generally this is true, but I've heard of many problems there too.

gatorcpa

20. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 8, 2013

You will end up netting 50-60% of the final selling price of a watch sold at AQ, Sothebys or Christies. You will net ~85% with eBay. The high end auction houses will at least give you nice pictures, a standardized description (though not always accurate), access to buyers with deep pockets and the opportunity to handle the watch(es) you are interested in. eBay for the lower cut provides you with much less.

I think this is a set-up that is ripe for the disruption brought about by high technology - provide eBay margins with the service level typically offered by the high end auctions.

yahamshari likes this.