Forums Latest Members
  1. Carlosleigh Jul 3, 2016

Dear Sirs:

My name is CarIo, I am 66 years old, I live in Mexico City and I am very happy to have one of my Grand Father's Pocket Watches! It Is an Omega open face Grand Prix Paris 1900 Gold or Gold plated watch.

The Back Cover shows the Case Serial Number: 5150940, it also has a 0,585 number marking whitch I believe relates to the Gold Plating indication. It shows the Omega Logo and Crown.

The Mechanism Cover has the Grand Prix Paris 1900 egraiving.

The Mechanism shows the Serial Number: 4173062.

I would Very Gladly appreciate if you would help me geting as much information as posible about the watch. Such as:

When was it made?
    What kínd of Mechanism it has?
    What Caliber of Mechanism it has?
    Whah Size is the Watch?
    If posible:
    Who retaild the Watch?
    And What was the retailing price of the Watch when it was soled?

And any other information I could get about this Watch

My Best Regards to You All:
    Carlos

2. alam Jul 3, 2016

Carlos bienvenido! I'm sure the smart folks on the forum will be able to answer many of of your questions - in the meantime, can you post some pictures of your watch? Many around here can't think very well without pictures! ;)

3. tdn-dk Jul 3, 2016

4. Hijak Jul 3, 2016

The 0.585 number denotes 14K gold, no gold plating on this watch.:thumbsup: And the movement serial number puts this roughly at 1912, 1914 ish.

5. Carlosleigh Jul 3, 2016

Thank you very much for this information, I apreciate your help!

6. Hijak Jul 3, 2016

Glad I could be of assistance, posting some pictures might be even more helpful...we do like photos of watches around here!:cool:

7. Carlosleigh Jul 3, 2016

Of course I'll posta somos pictures, just let me get them and I send them and Tank you for the Wellcom "Bienvenido!"

chronos and alam like this.
  8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 3, 2016

Excellent and welcome, and as a new member with an avatar you are especially welcome :thumbsup:

Come on the rest of you especially those who have been around a while follow the lead of @Carlosleigh

9. Carlosleigh Jul 3, 2016

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    pian, ahartfie, redpcar and 4 others like this.
  10. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 3, 2016

I am no expert on these pieces but to me that is in stunning condition :thumbsup:

11. Carlosleigh Jul 3, 2016

Thank you so much! This Is a very good help!!! I just posted some Photos I hope you like. The Mechanism Is in a great condition for a Watch that age?

12. cwindham Jul 3, 2016

Wow, that dial is flawless and looks brand new. Your grandfather took excellent care of it! I am unsure of value but it is a BEAUTIFUL piece!

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 3, 2016

The "0,585" means that the case is solid 14K gold, not plated.

Omega won a Grand Prix award at the Paris World Fair in 1900. This has nothing to do with the date of manufacture. Omega kept reference to this award on new watches up until the 1920's at least.

Here is the "official" Omega serial number and case serial number chart:

[​IMG]
    Based on both serial numbers, I would say that the watch was made around 1915 to 1916.

Now that you've posted some pictures, there are a few members here that might have a period correct advertisement for your watch. Probably the best place to go for answers would be to Omega itself:

https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/extract-of-the-archives/?no_cache=1

The cost is about US$120 (at current rates).

Omega made many similar movements and cases in those days. It takes a real expert to know the information as most watches were classified by size, which of course, it is difficult to ascertain from a photograph. Omega can match the serial numbers directly to their records. Here is an ad with a very similar watch, but I don't know if it really the same one:

[​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Publicite-Montre-OMEGA-KIRBY-BEARD-1921-advert/191426118622Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Bienvenidos, and I hope this helps.
    gatorcpa

14. Hijak Jul 3, 2016

15. Carlosleigh Jul 3, 2016

Thank You so much! All this helps me put My Grand Father and his watch together!!!

16. François Pépin Jul 3, 2016

Very nice watch!

It seems to be a version of the caliber 19'´. But without the size if the movement, impossible to guess which one.

17. Carlosleigh Jul 3, 2016

18. Carlosleigh Jul 3, 2016

Thank You All So Much for all the help you have given me! I will later try to contact the Omega si te and see if they can give me the Movement Size...

Thís has been a grat pleasure for me! I have been able to get My Grand Father and his old Watch together!
    I know the Watch works but I have and will not make it run until I have it cheked and oiled by My Expert Watch Man here in My City!

I will let you know how it goes!
    Be Well

19. Carlosleigh Jul 4, 2016

Would it be Of any help if I mensure the Warch with a Caliper in all directions and give you the meashurments to find Out whitch one it Is?
    Thank You Francois!

20. alam Jul 4, 2016

for sure @gatorcpa earned the badge of Senior Master Omega InvestiGator! :thumbsup:

Jonatan likes this.