Forums Latest Members
  1. Txsportsman Sep 6, 2018

Hello everyone! I just had my account approved and have been anxiously waiting to be able to make this post so I apologize in advance for being long winded. I am not an Omega or watch collector (yet) but after reading through a lot of this website I have become very intrigued by these vintage watches. Thanks for all of the information I have already learned from being able to browse around here.

This Seamaster De Ville has been engraved which obviously holds a lot of sentimental value to me but I am sure greatly decreases the "value" though that isn't a concern to me. I am looking for as much information as possible at this point until I am able to get it to a profession to open the thing up. I'll point out a few things that I have noticed after a good amount of research on this forum and let the professionals go from there. I also have a few questions.

- This is a Day Date watch which I am having a little difficult finding any similar to
    - The "De Ville" is in the same cursive font as "Seamaster"
    - It holds time well but not the Day Date
    - Where the lugs meet the case it shows signs of tarnish

Is this something I should be wearing right now or should I wait until I have had it serviced?
    Any ballpark value?
    Of course I am curious about its condition/originality?
    The engraving says my grandfathers employment from 1961-1981 - is there a way to give an estimate on the era of this watch without opening it up? It looks like a 60's era watch which would give it some extra history if it was not gifted until 1981 but I am a complete rookie so that is just speculation.
    I have no idea about the authenticity of the band.

What can I anticipate a service to cost?
    The crystal is scratched up so I would love to get that fixed up but should I be concerned about polishing the case at all?

Thank you all SO much for any help. I have attached some pictures but please let me know if any others are required other then opening it up as I don't want to attempt that.

.jpg IMG_4808.jpg IMG_4809.jpg IMG_4810.jpg IMG_4811.jpg IMG_4812.jpg
  2. Txsportsman Sep 6, 2018

A few more reference pictures

IMG_4825.jpg IMG_4828.jpg
  3. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Sep 6, 2018

Without opening the watch, there isn’t much to tell. Both the reference number, and the movement serial number are inside the watch. Do you see any gold hallmark anywhere; If there isn’t any, then it’s probably gold plated. And judging by the pictures you provided I am pretty sure that the dial has been refinished. That hurts almost certainly the value of this watch. Hope that you found the information useful;)

4. Txsportsman Sep 6, 2018

Thank you for the reply. As I’m new and trying to learn, what are the indicators of a refinished dial?

5. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Sep 6, 2018

Check this Seamaster de ville with an original dial
    [​IMG]
    See the differences in the word “de ville” for instance

Uniqez likes this.
  6. Txsportsman Sep 6, 2018

Yes I noted that in my original post. Thanks

Vaylalo and nickgr like this.
  7. Noddyman Sep 6, 2018

Gonna stick my neck out and say that watch is all original.
    14k solid gold US market. Cal 1020 movement. Mid 1970’s.

ChrisN likes this.
  8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 6, 2018

And I'm going to agree with you. Most likely ref C6865.

Should be marked between the bottom lugs, either 14K GOLD or 14K GOLD FILLED.

9. Txsportsman Sep 6, 2018

Thank you. I originally looked for a marking between the lugs but didn’t see anything. Apparently it is much smaller then I expected. I’m not ready to pull the band off yet but I was able to take this picture which shows a pretty much unlegible marking below the bottom lug but something is definitely there. Looking forward to getting this into a watch smith to get some more information.

DB82FDBD-3241-4C8E-B75D-2BB8058D8568.jpeg
  10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 6, 2018

Txsportsman likes this.
  11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 6, 2018

It is in fact marked 14K gold.

Txsportsman likes this.
  12. guaranteed.rohu Sep 6, 2018

very cool! particularly the texture/colour of the dial

Txsportsman likes this.
  13. Txsportsman Sep 7, 2018

That's great info @Noddyman @efauser and @X350 XJR I really appreciate y'all taking the time to check this out.

I am going to take the watch in to open it and get some pictures taken / replace the band.

Should I get the crystal completely replaced with an original or buff it? Additionally I am concerned to "over buff" the case - is there a small amount that can be applied but still keep the integrity of the original finish?

14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 7, 2018

Tell the watchmaker not to polish the case.

Txsportsman and X350 XJR like this.
  15. Noddyman Sep 7, 2018

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 7, 2018

Just get it serviced so you can wear it.
    That entails a clean/lubricate/adjustment of the movement with replacement of any worn or broken parts (day/date bits?).

Do NOT let the case be polished at all! The tarnish is a patina that some collectors like.
    If it bothers you, some gentle wiping with a jewellery cleaning cloth will remove it but only use the lightest touch and don't round off edges.

Make sure the watchmaker you choose knows what they're doing, try and find out if they have reviews/feedback and have they worked on vintage watches.

Good luck with your project.

connieseamaster and Txsportsman like this.
  17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 7, 2018

Here’s a blow-up of the hallmark between the lugs.

8FF96E55-6CC9-4148-AD2E-821372C46456.jpeg

Looks like 14Kt Gold to me!
    gatorcpa

Txsportsman likes this.
  18. Txsportsman Sep 8, 2018

Thanks everyone for the help!

Going to try cleaning up the Crystal today @Noddyman since it will be a little bit before I can get the watch into get worked on. I'll take y'alls advice on what TO have done to it and what NOT to have done. @JimInOz I actually like the patina myself so I am going to leave it as is. I am really looking forward to getting the movement serviced and putting a new band on it - going to be tricky picking the correct band!

edit- I found another 70's vintage De Ville online with the same cursive writing yesterday

Great forum here and am happy to be part of it. This watch has taken me to a whole new realm and it will be my first piece in my collection. :D

murph likes this.
  19. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 8, 2018

felsby and Txsportsman like this.
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 8, 2018

I think dial is original also. Presentation date is 1981, very late in the lifecycle for this model.

By that time, the SSIH group that owned Omega and Tissot was bankrupt and by 1985 it had totally reorganized to become part of Swatch Group. Omega did not use its own movements again in watches until the late 1990’s.

You might have one of the very last of the older Omega in-house movements inside that watch.
    gatorcpa

murph and Txsportsman like this.