Forums Latest Members

Information about my grandfather Longines

1. federicoangeloni Jun 30, 2018

Hi! Thanks for the add in this great forum, that i'm reading from some month!
    I've just obtained a Longines as present, that was the watch of my grandfather. I'd like to have more information about it, since i've not found anything on internet. I've added a photo of this watch:
    It's a Longines probably from 70's and in the bottom of the dial there is "729 swisse 4829" that i think that is the model. It has also an engraving under the watchstrap that says that is Gold Plated 20 (i've read that it means that is plated with a 20 micron technology). Can you give me more information about it, in particular the year of production and the approximate value? Thanks a lot!
    9c8678a7-69af-4ab1-8e63-56915bf39ee1.jpg

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 30, 2018

Most information is inside the case, would say 70s is about right. Being a Quartz it's not super valuable besides the sentimental aspect which makes it priceless
    Quartz are not that collectable unlike automatic and manual wind watches.
    Still a nice watch :)

3. ulackfocus Jun 30, 2018

I believe the 729 is the Longines caliber number (a rebadged ETA 940.111) and the case reference number is 4829. It's from the mid-70's maybe to the late 80's or early 90's, most likely in the first half of that window. As STANDY says, the inside of the caseback and on the movement is where we'd find the most data.

4. federicoangeloni Jul 2, 2018

Thank you very much! I don't know how to open it and i don't want to make issues, then i'll take other information from inside the caseback when i'll bring it back to a professionist. I've seen that unfortunately it have a problem. The date indicator don't slide alone when the 24 hours are passed....if you set the data with the crown there are no problem but it seems that it isn't able to slide the data indipendently. I must show it to someone skilled.