Forums Latest Members
  1. dabu22 Jun 3, 2017

Hi all, I inherited an Omega Speedmaster some 28 years ago and I've just recently started to become interested in the history and ultimate value of the watch. I know that the watch was purchased in Bermuda between 1967-1970 (the years change with each version of the story) but other than the obvious I'm very much clueless about the watch. Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

IMG_20170603_213852.jpg IMG_20170603_213911.jpg
    vienna likes this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 4, 2017

Hi, welcome.

What have you learned so far?

Check out www.speedmaster101.com, look at the 105.003 reference.

You will want to see inside, but let an experienced watch maker do that (not the guy at the mall who swaps batteries).

It's a valuable watch, though it is missing one key part. The bezel. On the other hand, it looks like it has a valuable bracelet and proper endlinks... more / better pics would help.

Good luck in your quest!

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 4, 2017

When did you have it serviced and do you still have the original bezel?

It also looks like it needs another service based on the Chrono hour hand.

4. Motman Jun 4, 2017

Forgive my ignorance but what is the bezel? I thought it was that ring on the outside with the numbers on.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 4, 2017

Yes that is the bezel yours, dates 69 to mid to late 80's most likely replaced during service. Your watch dates earlier production then that bezel. But could have been sold later. You should have what's called a DON or dot over 90. It has a dot next to 90 aka DNN which was used on versions made after yours.

nonuffinkbloke and watch3s like this.
  6. Wryfox Jun 4, 2017

Despite the changes ....nice looking piece. How is it running?

7. noiseboyuk Jun 4, 2017

Agreed, looks like a very nice early (without 'PROFESSIONAL' on the dial) example.
    A DON bezel would certainly aid the 'correctness' for the year. However DON bezels have become very sought after and consequently very expensive.

nonuffinkbloke and watch3s like this.
  8. dabu22 Jun 4, 2017

Thanks for the information guys.
    Foo2rama - I have never had the watch serviced. I have never even worn the watch. It was my fathers and I've only wound it once to ensure it worked but it hasn't seen regular use in probably 30 years. I do not have any other parts, bezel or otherwise.

9. sky21 Jun 4, 2017

The watch as depicted is very valuable, not quite as valuable as if it had the correct bezel, but still valuable. If you plan to wear it you should have it serviced by a qualified independent watchmaker who will show it the care it deserves as a vintage piece.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 4, 2017

When you do have it serviced there are some very specific things that need to be done if you want to retain value, and it definitely needs one if it's going to be wound. As for the bezel there is no question it's not original and was changed later. @oddboy gave you a great reference to find out about your watch and that site even gives you a range for what it's worth.

11. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 4, 2017

Lovely watch and lovely flat link bracelet.

The 19mm no6 end link is a clue to thinking the bracelet is an original 1501/6 (possibly 7912/6 difficult to see from your photos???) which would be correct for a 105.003. If that's the case, the bracelet on it's own is reasonably valuable. Check this out by comparing the numbers on the clasp and the end link with 'Mstanga's chart'. You can search for that on this Web site using the search icon at the top right of this page.

This watch will (should) have a vintage Omega 321 movement and should only be serviced by a watchmaker that has access to the parts that it may need. The scratch on the case back suggests that someone inexperienced has tried to open it. Any further damage needs to be avoided as it will effect the value of your watch.

After 30 years the extent to which the case is watertight and the condition of the movement is unknown, so keep it dry and don't wind it until it has been serviced.

Don't send it to Omega for a service. You may think Omega would be your first choice for service, but they may change some of the original parts that make this watch desirable and valuable. If you let the forum know which country you live in a local expert can assist you with a recommendation for a good place to get it serviced sympathetically in line with it's vintage.

As @oddboy and @Foo2rama suggested, do your research as this is a valuable watch.

The sections on Speedmaster101 you need to study first are: Overview, Assessment guide and Price chart.

You then need to study the section: 'Base500 bezels as fitted to 1960's Speedmasters' in order to understand the issue with your service bezel and get an idea of what you need to look for (should your choose to replace it with a correct bezel).

Later, when your watch has been opened (by an expert):eek:... you can check the reference and year (stamped in the case back) and check the 321 movement serial number (stamped on the movement) by studying the section 'Serial Quick Reference to -78' to see if it falls into the 'known range'.

With correct parts, no damage and a service, Speedmaster101 places a watch as 'Good'. It is a bit of a shame about the scratch on the case back but not 'the end of the world'. A 105.003 in 'good' condition has a (Speedmaster101) estimated value of up to $15,000. You would have to invest some money in it to get it to that 'Good' condition and, as others have mentioned, your main issue is getting hold of the correct (Dot over 90) DON bezel. Depending on condition they are trading for as much as $5,000 for a top quality example. (They are available for less but, unfortunately, not what you would call 'cheap')

I am not an expert on watches, but I own a vintage Speedmaster and have been guided through this process by experts on this forum. I now have a beautifully serviced vintage watch that runs well and has retained it's value. (Your watch is an, earlier, more valuable reference than mine so tread carefully) I am simply passing on information given to me by expert collectors and watchmakers on this forum. It has worked very well for me and I hope it benefits you as well.:thumbsup:

If I've missed anything others will be along soon to add or correct my post, so rest assured you will be pointed in the right direction by experts on this forum.

Good luck mate!

Jonathan.

Edited Jun 4, 2017
    Nathan1967 likes this.