Forums Latest Members
  1. JWGill Dec 26, 2018

I am interested in any information anyone can provide on my grandfather's watch (various photos hopefully enclosed). First a little background. My grandfather fought in both wars, first serving in the Royal Flying Corps, then reaching the rank of Squadron Leader in WW2. Post war he was a Political Agent for the Conservative party, his MP was Selwyn Lloyd, who was Foreign Secretary during the Suez Crisis, and was given an MBE in1955. He died in 1960, 9 years before I was born.

After he died my Dad wore the watch every day, never had it serviced, and to my recollection always had that flex steel strap (the strap has no omega logo). I inherited the watch in January when my Dad passed away, and want to return the watch to as close to its original condition as possible whilst preserving it as mu h as possible. To this end I sent it to Omega for a service and applied for the watch history from Omega but sadly they had no information for that serial number. For the minute I have put on a generic black leather strap and was in the process of ordering an Omega leather strap when I discovered Omega branded flex straps on similar watches on the net, so now I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do. I planto wear the watch everyday and am amazed it is still working so well after at least about 60 years!

Having had the back off at a jewellers, the markings on the movement and back are :
    Serial number = 11811638
    Back plate = I 3322 Denisteel 3261
    Cal 265, 15 Jewels

Any ideas on date of manufacture, whether the strap should be leather or steel or any other useful observations would be great fully received.

Regards

Jonathan.

DSC_0265.JPG DSC_0262.JPG DSC_0089.JPG DSC_0088.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG
  2. JWGill Dec 26, 2018

Oops, ignore the photo of the accurist, no idea how that got in there!

3. Dan S Dec 26, 2018

Late 1940s, leather. Looks great!