Forums Latest Members
  1. Cooper 009 Aug 23, 2017

Hi All,

My dad recently passed away and he left me his Longines which he loved.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the original strap would have been like as he had an after market on in the end.

I've been told it's serial number is 17'465'752 with a mechanical movement caliber 805.

I'm not looking to get it restored or anything but may need the glass replaced as it's quite scratched. Apparently it's acrilic rather than glass, would anyone know what the cost of a replacement would be?

Lastly, what would an approximate cost be for a service for this?

Sorry for all the questions, and any information would be brilliant, here are some photos of the watch

20170802_182729.jpg 20170802_181340.jpg 20170802_181146.jpg 20170803_183944.jpg
  2. billythekid Aug 23, 2017

a restoration, would exceed its value.....

3. Yuriae Aug 23, 2017

Come on... That's not what he has asked for.

This watch has an inestimable sentimental value, due to its provenance.

I don't know if you will be able to find a replacement crystal or if you will have to get one custom made. Regarding the movement, every watchmaker will be able to service it. The dial... Hmmm... I personnaly would leave it as it is now, since it will be very hard to find someone who will be able to restore/refinish it properly.

I hope this has helped,

Yuriae

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 23, 2017

Order some poly watch from Amazon. $200 for a service and a black matte Gator strap and you are good to go.

Fritz likes this.
  5. Cooper 009 Aug 23, 2017

Thanks guys, like I said, I'm not looking to get it restored, if I did, it wouldn't be the same watch.

Any thoughts on the strap as the one that's on is too big for me, but would like one as close to the original as possible,

Chris

6. Cooper 009 Aug 23, 2017

Great, thanks Larry S

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 23, 2017

Sorry for your loss. You will need to get it serviced if you intend to wear it regularly. I wonder whether the grey stuff on the dial is just dirt which could be removed, but in any event you should only let a good watchmaker touch the watch.
    Best regards

Fritz likes this.
  8. Davidt Aug 23, 2017

I second getting polywatch and a bit of elbow grease for the crystal.

I also wouldn't worry too much about the strap. Put on what you like (I also agree black gator would look good).

Syrte likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 23, 2017

Best bit of advice yet.

Come on guys first bit of advice should be find a reputable watchmaker to a post like this. (As @Archer mentioned the other day hard to quote a service price without seeing the movement apart )

Syrte likes this.
  10. argonbeam Aug 24, 2017

You have a 5601 movement. Longines 5601 movement is a later variation of the original 410, originally designed primarily for ladies watches and without a seconds hand due to its compact size. The 5601's variations made it better suited to a more water-resistant case. The movement serial number dates this to the mid-70's, which seems right given the case and dial design of your watch. The dial and crystal may not be perfect, but the movement looks to be in great shape. In-house design and manufacture, and well-suited to a narrow tank case like your watch. Love the blue dial and the fact that you want to take care of something your father obviously cared about.

A dark blue shell cordovan strap, not tapered, with gold buckle, would like great, imho. I've found through trial and many cheap errors that splurging a bit on a nice strap is well worth it. Totally agree with service by a competent watchmaker. Would set me back ~100 USD with my watchmaker, but rates obviously vary. These movements were very well built and can last a very long time with competent service every 5-10 years or so.

Edited Aug 24, 2017
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 24, 2017

Whoever services the watch can polish the crystal for you.

I don't think anyone can tell what the original Longines strap might have looked like on this particular watch but I agree any strap you like will be fine. Navy shell cordovan sounds like it would look very good, burgundy color would also go well with blue and gold.
    If for any reason you want a Longines strap, there are a number of sellers on Ebay who currently have NOS (new old stock) Longines straps but they might be narrower than what you need.

12. Cooper 009 Aug 24, 2017

Thanks for your input everyone, much appreciated,

Chris