Forums Latest Members
  1. jonathon r. law Nov 8, 2012

Omega.JPG Omega (2).JPG Omega (3).JPG Please help me decide whether to purchase this vintage Omega serial number 15112936. there is also a number on the inside of the case - 14363. It is an Omega Seamaster 500 Automatic. I may buy it from a local watch repairman. He repairs vintage watches and is a certified Rolex repairman. He has serviced my Rolexs for years and does good work. He wants $350 for the watch and $200 to service it and put a new crown on it (it does not appear to be the original crown anyway). Condition is less than fair. Plese let me know your thoughts (I know nothing about vintage Omegas). Is the price fair is what I really want to know. Thanks! Here are some pics:

2. ulackfocus Nov 8, 2012

The reference number is 14.363 and the serial number of 15,112,936 means it was made in 1956. The movement looks good, but we can't tell how good or bad the dial is behind that crystal. If it's in good shape he's giving you a fair price. Poor shape and I'd pass.

3. jonathon r. law Nov 8, 2012

Thanks for your quick reply! The dial itself shows some yellowing but the hands, lettering and numbers look good. I dont really know what all effects the value with respect to the dial, but the aged yellow look to the dial does not really bother me, as it gives it that vintage look. I think i am going to offer him $50 less. Thanks!

4. pknopp Nov 8, 2012

Dennis is far more the expert on valuation here, I'm just stating what I would want to see if I was to buy it. I would ask him to take it apart so I could get a good look at the face. It sounds like he is perfectly capable of handling the rest.

Aged is absolutely fine for me. I would hope the Seamaster looked a lot better with the crystal off than it does with it on.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 8, 2012

I think it is a very fair price if it includes the correct OEM crystal and crown. That's going to run $50 to $75 for the parts. Just don't let him heavily polish the case. I think some of the gold-capping on the corners is getting a bit thin.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa