Forums Latest Members

Info needed with identification on F300 electronic chronometer

1. ErikB Sep 11, 2015

My grandfather Carl Brooks gave me this watch 25 years ago. He was a jeweler, engraver, and watch repairman for more than fourty years. This was given to him as a retirement gift from a jewelry store in downtown Princeton N.J named Lavake, if I remember correctly. I've only worn it a handful of times and had forgotten about it until just recently. I was concerned that the battery may have leaked because I hadn't ever changed it, but to my surprise when I had a jeweler open it, the battery was fine. He did put a fresh battery in but it doesn't work. Can someone please tell me if its valuable and worth fixing? I've seen similar ones in lesser condition and without the metal band, but none quite th same.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. italy1861 Sep 11, 2015

Nice example, I'd get it fixed if I were you.

3. lillatroll Sep 11, 2015

Well it does not have much resell value even if it did work but surely the fact that it belongs to your grandfather means it is worth fixing? I could not imagine parting with it.

4. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Sep 11, 2015

It looks similar to the one I just sent off to @rogart. He apparently knows of someone who repairs f300's in the UK. Yours is in great shape! I personally think that Grandfather's watches are meant to be kept original, running, and in the family. image.jpg

rogart likes this.
  5. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 11, 2015

Contact Paul wirdnam (electric watches) or Keith Tilley (I can PM details) if you want to get it working again? If not I would be interested in saving it if you want to sell?

Thanks Tom

rogart and Giff2577 like this.
  6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 11, 2015

Definitely worth fixing.

Tom

7. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 11, 2015

Agreed

It's a reasonably rare model in two tone and looks in good condition. The value is neither here nor there in any vintage watch, the true value is in what it means to you!

When new this watch was considerably more expensive than a Speedmaster, is it right that the speedy is worth 5 times more now than the F300 chronometer?? No, but it is what it is

This is a very well made, no expense spared chronometer which is in superb cosmetic condition and is (as others have said) well worth saving

8. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 11, 2015

Absolutely the right choice to keep the watch, contact Paul or Keith and get it repaired and enjoy wearing it! A beautiful piece and in years to come something that will not only have sentimental but also considerable monetary value too

9. ErikB Sep 11, 2015

Thank you for the responses. I've never had any intention on selling the watch and only needed some insight on if it was valuable and worth fixing. I do know that parts and labor on a vintage watch can be expensive and difficult to find, but I will get an estimate for the repair.

10. ErikB Sep 11, 2015

Thank you for the pic and response :) I couldn't agree more

Giff2577 likes this.
  11. ErikB Sep 11, 2015

Thanks for responding Tom.. Since you're familiar with this watch, could you tell me anything more about it? I've tried the Omega database but when I enter the search it tells me "not enough filters." My grandfather removed the original back because it was engraved with his name, so I don't know how to get the reference numbers which are supposed to be on the inside of the original.

12. ErikB Sep 11, 2015

Thanks for your response "VetPsychWars

13. ErikB Sep 11, 2015

Thanks for responding lillatroll. I would never part with it..

14. ErikB Sep 11, 2015

Thanks "italy1861

15. ErikB Sep 11, 2015

Thanks for your response "VetPsychWars

16. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 12, 2015

Looks to me like a ref 198.001, which would have a cal. 1250 movement. I love these watches, although finding someone to work on them can be a challenge.

ErikB and rogart like this.
  17. rogart ray it again, Ram. Sep 12, 2015

I have sent it to Paul in UK. Should take about three weeks he said. He had much to do. Hopefully he will get it back in working order again .Looked like the coils where ok when i checked ? So it's probably something else cheaper that needs replacing . Fingers crossed :)

ErikB and Giff2577 like this.
  18. ErikB Sep 13, 2015

Thanks for the info! I will check on the database