Forums Latest Members
  1. griffiths Jan 5, 2014

I bought this as a project with a 591 auto movement, can anyone tell me anything about it, first part will be cleaning the dial and movement and changing the crystal... Anyone know what crystal I will need ? or have one ? Thanks

image.jpg
  2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 5, 2014

If the movement is a 591 then this might be a 14704, however it is difficult to say without more information. Once you get the watch opened, have the number inside the case back recorded. This along with the movement model and serial number are important clues.

3. griffiths Jan 5, 2014

Right the info I have at hand is as follows
    591 20 jewels on movement
    inside back case shows 166.002 and 725 on the bracelet. Wonder it this information will help?

4. ulackfocus Jan 5, 2014

If it's a caliber 591, it shouldn't be in a 6 digit reference number case. The 591 was made for only a year or so around 1960, and the 6 digit reference numbers didn't start until 1962 or 1963.

Joe is correct - that dial does match what was usually on a 591 (the shape of the S in Seamaster is the giveaway) and inside a 14.70x, but the dial & movement might have been mated to a later case so it's probably a franken.

5. griffiths Jan 5, 2014

ah right you learn as you go along. The s does seem like it's been done with a rough hand ? Ah so the case is a later piece off a different movement ? I spotted It on ebay an thought needs work I will bid didn't realise it was such a Frankenstein

6. griffiths Jan 6, 2014

Also being this is a franken does it mean its worth hardly nothing ?

7. John R Smith Jan 6, 2014

Not worth a great deal, unless someone needs a 591 movement. You should note that the hands are wrong for the dial, as well.

8. griffiths Jan 6, 2014

Ah so it's a total Frankenstein then, not desirable at all. What's a parts watch worth then?

9. John R Smith Jan 6, 2014

What you have is a real bitsa, as we used to say about motorbikes (and being from the UK you will probably know what I mean - remember Tribsas and Tritons?). Even the tension ring for the crystal is gold instead of silver, as it should be for a stainless case. So it looks as though someone has built this up from parts that they had in their spares box, all of which are genuine Omega but none of which belong together. If what you want is just a watch to wear, you could give it a service and a new crystal, clean it up and you will have a perfectly usable wristwatch. As it is an Omega it will probably give you years of good service. If on the other hand you were intending to collect genuine vintage Omegas then you have made a bad start, sadly, and you might be best advised to split it up into movement, dial, hands and case and sell them separately at eBay auctions where they will find their own value.