Forums Latest Members
  1. Racer-X Feb 17, 2016

We're going through my father in law's estate and we came across this watch. From what I have learned in the last 15 minutes of web search is that it's an Omega Seamaster Deville Automatic with a 14k gold filled case (that's written between the lugs - I took the band off to get a look at it IMG_20160217_185140.jpg IMG_20160217_185200.jpg ). I get the impression there are a lot of fakes out there, but I have no doubts of this one's authenticity. The wife remembers her father wearing it since at least the 70's.

So, to the questions since we intend on selling it because it appears to have some value.
    Is the only way to authenticate it and get info on the year and movement number to remove the face and look at the inside of the back?
    Should that be done to get the highest price?
    Is there anything else I need to indicate on the auction that Omega collectors would want to know?

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 17, 2016

Lets try a new approach:

Watch is in pretty rough shape with scuffs and dings. The crystal is scratched and the original band is missing.
    To get the highest price, you would need to get an extract of records from Omega, which would prove it is authentic. Without this, I would estimate the watch at less than 100$

3. redpcar Feb 17, 2016

I think a little more than that. If it is a smaller case (32mm), probably $150 on ebay as is. Bigger case (34mm) $200. Of course, this is just a guess. Sorry, no holy grail. Pretty common.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 17, 2016

The watch looks like it would clean up nicely. A good starter watch for a beginning collector.

Only negative I can see is that it is a front-loading case. This means that in order to see the movement, you need to take it to a watchmaker to take out the crystal and stem. Not having good movement pictures will hold down the price at auction.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

5. Racer-X Feb 17, 2016

The case is 34mm.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 17, 2016

7. Racer-X Feb 17, 2016

Thanks for the input everyone. For that price, maybe it stays in the family for a while.

8. justbrian55 Feb 18, 2016

Gold Filled vs 14k gold and date is only different. From what I've seen after seeing hundreds, its quite the rare indexes/numbers layout with four bars at four points, two bars at the others. My mom bought it in 1969.

Clean it up, and it sparkles quite nicely to wear ~ I had a silly Speidel on mine too. I bent my others fingers back and got a 50.00 lighter brown with gold coloured Omega stylze buckle for it. I love it.

9. theridewill Like your watch? Then don't listen to my advice. Feb 18, 2016

gold filleds/plated not so desirable...they age badly after the plating wears off...

justbrian55 likes this.