Forums Latest Members
  1. roscoe Oct 16, 2014

Good evening from Scotland, gentlemen, and ladies of course. I'm a retired cabinet maker. I was asked to do a small repair job for an elderly lady. To cut a long story short, I didn't charge her anything, so she insisted I take a small antique box which needed repair. On opening the box there was a small mannilla envelop with a watch in it. Her husband was a watch maker and this was something she said she did not know it was there, so was told to keep it as it doesn't work. Unfortunately I don't have the means to photograph it or open it at the moment. Inside the envelope was a piece of paper with the following written on it. Omega automatic Geneve, (which is also on the watch face).Dimensions 034.5mm. reference ST 165.0041. International collection 1968. movement. type, automatic(mechanical). caliber number 552. created in 1958, 24 jewels, central sweep second hand, Case stainless steel, case back ,screw in, dial metal with luminous"index" hour markers and luminous "stick" hands, crystal, armoured glass, bracelet leather, water resistance 30 meters. A footnote says, inside back FAB SUISSE, SWISS MADE CARRURE LUNETTE, plaque or G, 20 microns,( doesn't state what carat gold), fond acier inoxydable 165. 041. I Am no watch connoisseur by any manner of means, but i'm sure you experts here can help me out. It says that the case is stainless steel, but this one is Gold plated, Crystal is said to be armoured glass, but this face has an acrylic or some type of plastic cover, Movement number is 28269775. According to the little red book which came with it it says metal.... MD 165 041. The winder has an omega logo on it and it appears to be quite stiff to turn. Would this time piece be worth getting cleaned, and a new strap. OH!! nearly forgot There's a couple of scratches on the glass? and acouple on the steel back. Also the little red book say it was purchased in 1971. Any thoughts??,and I hope I have not confused you too much.
    Thank you for any help.
    Roscoe.

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 16, 2014

Hi Roscoe and welcome to the forum!

You have most of the info that we would give you, so I would ask...... 1, if you like the watch and 2, would you be willing to spend 100 Quid (minimum) to get it serviced for wearing?
    These vintage mechanical watches require periodic servicing and yours is definitely due, please don't wind it or wear it until then as damage may occur.

It can be a nice watch but we can't tell much without clear, close-up pictures of the dial, the movement and the inside of the caseback.
    We'd also love to see the box, booklet and anything else you may have.

Let us know how we may be of help.

Slainte'

roscoe likes this.
  3. roscoe Oct 16, 2014

And Slainte to you Sir, for your prompt reply and suggestions. I shall now go and " borrow" my camera back from my son and get some picrures. Ill also try to get a tool to open up the back and see what delights, or otherwise, are inside.
    Thanks again UncleBuck and thanks for the welcome.
    Roscoe.

UncleBuck likes this.
  4. Mothra Oct 16, 2014

Roscoe, I suspect it looks a lot like this one:
    http://watchguy.co.uk/service-omega-geneve-165-041-calibre-552/
    That's a uk based watchmaker servicing the same model and should give you an impression of what yours could look like. Its a nice watch with a truly classic movement in it.

As buck says, we need photos to be able to give you anything other than approx. Value, but sorting it out will probably cost you £120 ish for a service (don't wear it until it is) and around £15 for a strap, or fling it on ebay and let it find its own value (which is likely to be between £150 and £300)

Either way, a nice piece of history and financially worth acquiring.

roscoe likes this.
  5. Mothra Oct 16, 2014

Oh, the screwback case - don't try to remove that yourself as one slip and the case back could be ruined. Get a local watchmaker to do it for you.

roscoe and UncleBuck like this.
  6. roscoe Oct 16, 2014

Thank you Mothra, for your reply, and a superb sequence of photographs. What an amazing piece of "miniature engineering", hope this old thing I have turns out as good as your one. The face on my one is more silvery than the one in the picture and I have a sneaky suspicion that someone has already tried to open the back as there are some scratches around the recesses where the special tool fits. Could these be polished out ?? I will post some pics once I get the camera back.
    As far as watches are concerned, I am of the same opinion as an old car salesman I used to know, who always told punters when they asked technical questions, "I know how to work them, but I don't know how they work". That's me with watches LOL.
    Thank you once again for all the information and your time. Take care.
    Roscoe.

7. roscoe Oct 17, 2014

Thank you again Mothra and everyone for taking the time and trouble to educate this old fart. These pictures may not be the best you've seen, but I had to use the wife's point and shoot camera, so here goes. Oh, the box mentioned was NOT the box for the watch. It was an ancient wooden box in need of restoration. Hope the pictures help.Take care.
    Roscoe. DSCN1581.JPG DSCN1582.JPG DSCN1583.JPG DSCN1584.JPG RSCN1587.JPG RSCN1589.JPG DSCN1586.JPG DSCN1591.JPG DSCN1592.JPG DSCN1593.JPG

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 17, 2014

It is in good shape. I notice the original yellow gasket is still there. The movement is still very good! The papers also make it more valuable (by not much, though)
    If you like it and want to keep it, I think a journey to watchmaker for servicing will give you a 5 years enjoyment and totally worth it.
    If you want to sell it, you do not have to service it. Let the new owner service it as they wish.

The scratch in crystal is easy to be removed and the scratch in caseback is not too bad.

roscoe likes this.
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 17, 2014

Roscoe,
    That is a nice watch, it should clean up well !
    We have a fine gentleman here, Alpha, that resides in Scotland and if you sent him a message Alpha, I bet he could help in recommending an appropriate place to get it serviced.
    As a collector's forum, we recommend only a clean, oil and adjust, a crystal if needed and any movement parts that need replacement.
    Please, no heavy polishing or changing of the hands or dial if you wish to retain the original look, which we favor.

Pick out a nice strap (go to the WRUW post under "Open Discussion" for ideas) and wear it for the next 43 years! (with periodic service)

It's cool you have the paper work, I'd be sure to keep it.

roscoe likes this.
  10. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Oct 17, 2014

Did someone call ????

Happy to help in any way possible.

roscoe likes this.