Forums Latest Members

Independent service recommendation for SF Bay Area? -- My Ed White needs some love

1. themattedial Jun 2, 2016

Hi folks,

I have a nice example of a 64 Ed White. I don't wear it often, but I've recently started getting far too much resistance when winding the watch (I've had a number of 321-based pieces and this is definitely not within normal range). I'm also getting the same resistance when setting the time (not a good sign).

I think it's time for a trip to the spa. Anyone have recommendations for a great watchmaker in the bay area? (very careful with hands, etc). I haven't had to service a piece here yet.

Any thoughts on the symptoms?

Here's a photo of Mr Ed:

ed.png

Edited Jun 2, 2016
    Davidt, gminnj, oddboy and 1 other person like this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 2, 2016

up in Seattle, Nesbitt's? I've not used them, but may be worth talking to them.

be sure to try a search too, lots of threads asking.

themattedial likes this.
  3. Atalien2005 Jun 2, 2016

I just picked up a 145.012 from Nesbit's on Tuesday and they did a very good job. It was in service with them just shy of 2 months.

themattedial likes this.
  4. micampe Jun 2, 2016

See PM.

Also, we should get beer.

5. themattedial Jun 2, 2016

Beers after WWDC!

6. themattedial Jun 2, 2016

Thank you -- will definitely give them a buzz

7. West Slope Jun 3, 2016

I have used Precious Gems jeweler's in Folsom, CA on three different watches and was pleased with the results every time.

themattedial likes this.
  8. ibis888 Jun 3, 2016

Nesbitt's has an Omega parts account I believe...

You may run into issues using a repair shop without an account if the movement needs parts.

9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 3, 2016

Glad to hear some positive words about Nesbitt's. When I sent a cal. 1861 Speedy to them, they failed to repair it three times, then told me to send it to Secaucus (Swatch Group United States) who "only" took two more tries before getting it right. I would shy away from both for such a treasure, but I frankly have no idea who would be qualified in the Bay Area. My Sacramento guy failed to address the hour register "creep" on my 105.012-66 CB, so I wouldn't recommend him for this. There is a certified watchmaker in Walnut Creek (Watch Zone) that I would be inclined to hire if I were still involved with vintage.
    Hoping others chime in, in case I get bitten by the vintage bug again...