Forums Latest Members

Indecisive on which Vintage Pie-Pan Connie to Pick up, please help me choose!

1. Anj Mar 10, 2018

I have a couple of odd options, and I'll put the images of each watch gonna list out my thoughts of each one and the price. Please help me figure out if what I'm getting is worth it! I absolutely adore pie pan connies, I would buy every single one if I had the means. However, I'm only starting with one for now and I need your help as I'm sure there are pie-pan aficionados here that have seen these flourish through the years and could really help me out!

Please let me know if there are any red flags or the sort, I really appreciate it.

It's my first post on these forums, I've recently found the beauty and the value of vintage connies and here I am!

My preference are arrow dials, but I can't find any sub 2k gold ones.

Here's 4 offers and options that I have:

1st one - the cheapest, worn $900
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My thoughts on this one: Everything is great except for the dial, there are a couple of markings near 3 o'clock that are missing due to age I'm guessing? I like the dog legs on this one. I think 900 is a steal right?

2nd one - Decent quality $1200
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My thoughts on this one: I was actually leaning towards this one. Everything looks good except I don't really prefer the straight lugs, and in this version's case the crown doesn't protrude like the others. The dial is quite good and movement on this one looks pristine.

3rd one - Good quality $2000
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My thoughts on this one: I love the style of this one. Possibly my favourite of the bunch. However, I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the star has been moved. It seems closer to the text and it's not straight. Plus, is it worth twice the amount of the first watch? I'm not sure. I adore the design of this one though with the Arrow dial and the dog leg lugs. This comes serviced with a 2 year warranty.

4th one - Solid gold, pricey good quality $2850
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My thoughts on this one: It's an absolute beauty. Same style as the previous one which I love minus the date. Older, 505 movement. The dial isn't as sharp, age seems to have dulled it. Recently serviced. I'm still thinking whether I can justify paying 4k canadian dollars after import taxes on it even though it is solid gold.

Please let me know of your thoughts! I would really appreciate it. I've been thinking about this for days and it's killing me how indecisive I am!

Cheers.

Edited Mar 10, 2018
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 10, 2018

#1 has long hands.
    #3 has wrong hands and a repainted dial.
    #4 has a repainted dial, too.
    #2 is a correct one.

cicindela, Noddyman, TNTwatch and 3 others like this.
  3. Anj Mar 10, 2018

Amazing, thank you my friend. Would you consider #2 a good price?

Are long hands considered worst off?

What are the indications of a repainted dial for 3 and 4? I'm very curious and want to learn to distinguish.

I'm really appreciative of your help!

Edited Mar 10, 2018
  4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 10, 2018

In general, minute and second hands should reach the minute markers, if they go farther they are too long.
    How to tell a redial and an original? Stay in this forum for 5 more years, I guess.

5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 10, 2018

Welcome @Anj
    Hoi has summed up the watches succinctly but there are other problems with the ones you've showed too.
    In particular the fact that the cases are all polished to a greater or lesser extent.
    The .004 case is the best but the corrosion inside the case would make me think twice.

Your enthusiasm is to be lauded but you need to slow down and get to know Constellations.

Rather than wait 5 years, study Desmond’s blog and the show and tell thread on Connies to get a feel for what the cases and dials (and crowns) should look like.
    BTW - you refer to doglegs but haven’t included any in your post. (QED)

Hope that helps.

Noddyman, ConElPueblo and Anj like this.
  6. Anj Mar 10, 2018

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I've went through a couple pages on there, it's a great site! I shall keep learning.

Good point on the dog legs, I assumed they were dog legs since it looks like them but I didn't know they weren't actually.

I'll go with #2 for my first connie and wait for more opportunities to buy another stellar example.

I also have a question, is the long hands in the connies I linked the original arms? Or are those frankenwatches?

Great help!

Edited Mar 10, 2018
  7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 10, 2018

Frankenwatches usually refers to something that has been put together. I.e wrong movement or dial in a case.
    The wrong hands or crown doesn’t constitute Franken but should make you look more closely at the watch for other signs of non-originality.
    Some Connies do have long hands but not on the pie pans.

If you are looking to buy the .004 you should ask for better pictures first.
    And if you do buy it the first thing you have to do is get it to a watchmaker for some tlc.

Anj likes this.
  8. Anj Mar 10, 2018

Well noted, thank you.

9. harrymai86 Mar 10, 2018

Connies pop up in private sakes corner here quite often. I think you should wait for one for sale by a member here and be quick.

10. Anj Mar 10, 2018

Ah I'd love to, I had trouble offering on another site since I had not a lot of posts since I was new. Guessing it may be the same here. Also I live in Canada, so that's also a barrier to entry. My best bet as a new poster is probably getting lucky off Ebay for the next stellar example.

Those private sale connies look amazing though with a fair price.

If anyone wants to skip the private sale forum and come straight to me, I'd appreciate it! Haha.

11. omegastar Mar 11, 2018

ryanbk, Peemacgee, cicindela and 4 others like this.
  12. Edward53 Mar 11, 2018

What's going on with that first watch? It's got a Seamaster crown in the first 3 photos and a Constellation crown in the others.

As for the one in the post above this - Wow.

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 11, 2018

felsby and ConElPueblo like this.
  14. ConElPueblo Mar 11, 2018

Now that's the kind of Constellation we'd like to see...

15. Pahawi Mar 11, 2018

16. Screwbacks Mar 11, 2018

sharing my pie

IMG_20180311_194023.jpg
    Vulffi likes this.
  17. omegastar Mar 11, 2018

It is here with me in Belgium and I am thinking about selling it for I don’t wear it...

18. Anj Mar 11, 2018

That's beautiful, I'd love to buy it.

The stars would have aligned for that constellation in this post, haha.

Please let me know!

19. SteveZ28 Mar 11, 2018

20. Anj Mar 11, 2018