Forums Latest Members
  1. smorrisonmd Feb 3, 2017

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 3, 2017

I was following that listing. The case is in bad shape and the gold fill is totally worn off at the high spots. Similar watches (but without the broad arrow hands) in that condition have sold below the 400$ range in the last few months. I assumed that the closing price was influenced by the hands.

ConElPueblo and oddboy like this.
  3. ajg1960 Feb 3, 2017

What a buzzkill.

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 3, 2017

Sorry for providing a few factual observations and expressing my honest opinion.

5. ajg1960 Feb 3, 2017

Apology accepted.

6. smorrisonmd Feb 4, 2017

Not sure how you define "similar" documented sales, but I can only find one of a Seamaster 2990, aka the Seachero. That was on this forum, for $1020, twice. And it did not have the Broad Arrow hand nor the nice patina to the dial, both of which are a huge part of the appeal to most collectors.
    There may be others, but I doubt many, as it is a fairly unusual piece. But hey, I have been wrong before....:)

7. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 4, 2017

Putting an exact value on a vintage watch is difficult, but you can look at similar sales.
    For example, here is a stainless steel 2990 with an asking price of 875$ While it does not have broad arrow hands (which could add a significant boost to the price), it is stainless steel and in excellent condition:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/1960s-omega-seamaster-cal-267-ref-2990.41149/

Here is another one, although the listing is a bit older. This one does not have the broad arrow hands, but the watch is in much better condition.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-2990-1-cal-268.26270/

In addition, I am basing my assessment on the purchase of 3 different ref 2990 in the past 12 months. These were purchased through BIN deals with eBAY sellers. 2 of these 3 did not have the broad arrow hands but the cases were all in good shape.

Like I said in my original post, I think the broad arrow hands add value. Whether this value is as much as the difference in price for refs 2990 I have seen/bought over the past several months can only be speculated upon.

8. smorrisonmd Feb 4, 2017

The second piece referenced above does not, I don't think, have the correct movement (for a Ranchero). The first was posted 8 months ago for $875. These would not IMHO qualify as "similar watches" that have sold "in the last few months" for under $400.
    I of course do not know about the three you purchased. But if they all correct, and you got them for less than $400, congrats to you on a great deal.