Forums Latest Members
  1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 17, 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day to those who celebrate!

On my return to the office today, I had two boxes waiting for me!

The first was my Patek Philippe 3710 Jumbo Nautilus "Comet" that I sent to PP/Stern Agency NY in July 2013. Freshly polished and serviced, and sealed on a pillow with a hang tag.

The second was an old cal. 342 bumper auto Omega Seamaster from my buddy Dave The Bigwatch Guy.

Here's what I strapped on:

[​IMG]

I waited so long for the Nautilus that I have completely lost interest in it. Still sealed, it is back in the box waiting to go home, and waiting on a decision whether to keep or sell...

2. mac_omega Mar 17, 2014

Sell the Nautilus as it is an ugly watch - never understood that somebody spends so much money for this - you can buy MAAAANY beautiful Omegas for that amount! ;)

3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 17, 2014

Well...
    I admit I actually like the Nautilus now. Hated it in the 80's-90's, then slowly....
    I really desire (not need) one superb example of a timepiece. I still love the Nautilus chrono, and love some Calatrava models (5296 comes to mind). I'm also a big fan of Rolex (am I allowed to say that here?:)) So I was also thinking Day-Date II or gold Daytona (but I had a steel one I couldn't read).
    This may rub some Omega folks the wrong way, but I have always considered vintage Omega (and Longines) as the best "bang for the buck" watches, but not among the best. And for the record I don't consider Rolex among the best but I have had fantastic experiences with 20- or so different examples.
    I'm at a crossroads at the moment. Still head over heals in love with vintage (cal. 321) Speedys, but I don't see shelling out $20-$30k for a 2915 (if one can even be had for that).
    And considering my Patek service experience for a relatively simple movement (how complicated is a power reserve really?), I'm not sure I want to spend $40k + on a 5980 Nautilus chrono.