Forums Latest Members

Incoming traded Rolex + Omega for a Rolex

1. larryganz The cable guy Jun 15, 2018

I gave up this (never peeled the stickers off)...
    IMG_3575.jpg

And this, with a little cash and the extra bracelet...
    IMG_2403.jpg

For this NIB, incoming today...
    IMG_3642.jpg

IMG_3651.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

But, how is it better than this, my Omega Ti Planet Ocean 8500?
    IMG_3506.jpg

Only time will tell...

I bought my first Hulk 3 years ago and passed it on after 3 weeks, because I wanted a Grey Side of the Moon more. I've occasionally thought about replacing it though. I really didn't wear my SMPc much, which feels a little thin and insubstantial on my wrist vs my Planet Oceans. And the 5 digit Rolex watches also tend to wear small on my wrists. Over the past year I've sold off a 40mm Polar Exp II and black Exp II, a TT Blue Sub, and a GMT II Coke, but I still have my 6 digit GMT II BLNR.

I really admired the 42mm Polar Explorer II, but the SS bezel sometimes made the white dial feel huge (and the 40mm Polar wore too small on me). I also didn't really wear the Explorer II as I kept it immaculate as a safe queen in stickers. Dumb.

Failing to find a decent trade of my SMPc and Tudor BBR for a SubC No Date, I went for this Hulk deal. I came out a little on the short side of the trade, after all was said and done, but he saved me the trouble of having to find a buyer for these and risk being scammed. I feel like I overpaid about $500 and he thinks I underpaid him about $300, so in my eyes he still came out ahead.

vbrad26, rominvicta, Baz9614 and 16 others like this.
  2. Dan S Jun 16, 2018

Sorry to side-track this thread, but I noticed something in your photo that I often see in the background of my own. :D

dog.jpg

av8ffej, vbrad26, Dero13 and 21 others like this.
  3. Don Bocadillo Jun 16, 2018

Congrats!! Wear it in good health!!

larryganz likes this.
  4. larryganz The cable guy Jun 16, 2018

Yeah, I've purposefully been putting the new puppers into my watch wrist shots since we got her 2 weeks ago.

But in this shot I was waiting for her to bring the ball back - see the green tennis ball between her front paws?

red crowned and Dan S like this.
  5. Dan S Jun 16, 2018

I did see it, and she knows exactly what you are waiting for. You're just not fully trained yet, but eventually she will train you to walk over, pick up the ball, and throw it. :D

BatDad, connieseamaster, flw and 4 others like this.
  6. RRMagyar Jun 16, 2018

I think you did well! Enjoy the new watch!!

larryganz likes this.
  7. larryganz The cable guy Jun 18, 2018

Does anyone think that Rolex changed the Hulk's green ceramic bezel finish over the past few years, to make them more reflective than they used to be?

8. astrand Jun 18, 2018

Pretty watch! Just curious - does the Rolex feel more substantial than the Seamaster? I had read an old thread about the typical "Seamaster or Speedy" debate and his mind was made up when the AD had him try on a Submariner... saying that if you want an omega, get a speedy and if you want a luxury diver - save for the rolex.

Flatfoot likes this.
  9. larryganz The cable guy Jun 18, 2018

Not really, but it depends on what you mean by substantial. The SMPc feels pretty solid and well made. But it's a little thinner than the Rolex, and on my wrist the SMPc feels like it's got more dial than bezel. Although the Rolex feels like the dial is slightly smaller, the rest of the watch "seems bigger" to me. In that sense, the Rolex feels more substantial.

Basically, the Rolex wears bigger on my wrist, despite the smaller side to side diameter. I also like the beefier crown protectors on the Rolex a little more too. In general, I just like the Planet Ocean watches more than the SMPc or the older Rolex divers. But the newer Rolex divers seem to wear bigger than the older ones, especially on a larger wrist, and I would say they feel similar on my larger wrist to my Planet Oceans.

I liked the 1610/930 bracelet from the SMP 2254.50 on my SMPc (photo 1st post) because it allowed the watch head to seem bigger or more "substantial" than when using the Bond style bracelet where the Bond bracelet seems to steal all the attention.

I do think that Omega is best represented by the Speedmaster Pro, and Rolex is well represented by the Submariner. But Rolex also has a hit with it's Sea Dweller and GMT II watches, and the Explorer I as well. And Omega Planet Ocean is a very desirable watch too, although I hate the dotted line around the bezel which I believe they only added to distinguish the steel blue Planet Ocean from the Ti blue Planet Ocean 8500.

EdtheAussie, blubarb and astrand like this.
  10. astrand Jun 18, 2018

Thanks Larry! I've had a couple chances to handle a SMPc but never a submariner, but I understand your point about bracelets. The SMPc style bracelet is comfortable but they are a bit chunky looking. The taper on your new Rolex bracelet is verý nice - allows you to focus on the head of the watch :thumbsup:

larryganz likes this.
  11. larryganz The cable guy Jun 18, 2018

PS: I also really like my blue wave dial SMP Bond Quartz and never felt the need to change the bracelet (comfy), but that may be because the wave dial changes the appearance enough to bring your attention back to the watch head and dial.

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 18, 2018

Does it need to be better? Can it just be different?

Great watches!

larryganz and Tiny Iota like this.
  13. larryganz The cable guy Jun 18, 2018

I ask that question because people are clamoring for the Hulk, and on waiting lists for ages, and yet I don't see all that much interest in an equally nice diver from Omega that could have been a cult classic if they weren't changing the appearance so often.

[edit fix typo]

Edited Jun 18, 2018
  14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 18, 2018

Ah...my wife likes the Hulk, like really likes it

larryganz likes this.
  15. blubarb Jun 23, 2018

You did well. I love the Hulk - the dial is so interesting under different lighting conditions - under ambient lighting it can moderate between looking black to a deep jade. Well done!

larryganz likes this.
  16. repoman Jun 23, 2018

Great trade, I lust after the Hulk!!

larryganz likes this.
  17. larryganz The cable guy Jun 24, 2018

Yeah, it's grown on me. I think it will be staying. When I first got it I was thinking I might flip it someday for a new SubC No Date and some cash, but it would be my Sub placeholder until then.

But with this one I have a green Rolex diver, an orange Omega diver, 4 blue Omega divers, 3 black Omega divers, a white Grand Seiko diver, a yellow DOXA diver, and a red Tudor diver. All I'm missing are a couple more colors of the rainbow, but who wants pink and purple divers anyway?

Plus I have several of those colors in lesser name brand divers as well - red Victorinox and Seiko, white Luminox, blue NTH, black Seiko NTH and Orthos, pepsi Seiko, green and blue lagoon Seiko, sold the orange Monster).

Castle4444 and blubarb like this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 24, 2018

Your lucky my GF wants a Kermit...

Nobel Prize and larryganz like this.
  19. stevec14 Jun 24, 2018

I think you’ve done ok there. Sounds like a reasonable deal and very true about the convenience and risk free nature of the trade (I have never sold a watch privately).

Enjoy that hulk. Fits nicely into your collection.

larryganz and blubarb like this.
  20. blubarb Jun 24, 2018

Got enough divers. Larry?

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.56.49 PM.jpg

larryganz likes this.