Forums Latest Members

Incoming - this will never get to show off it’s full potential...

1. larryganz The cable guy Sep 23, 2020

So, I’ve added another Rolex to my current collection of SS Pepsi GMT II ceramic Mark II, Hulk, and Sea Dweller 43 Mark II.

I’d sold several of my Rolex over the years, such as three 40mm Explorer II, a 42mm Explorer II, my Coke GMT II and newer GMT II BLNR, Sub 16800, TT Sub Bluesy, No Date ceramic Sub, and Yachmaster.

The older watches were often sold because they felt too small on my larger wrists. The BLNR and Yachtmaster helped me buy the Pepsi in 2018, the Explorer II helped me buy the Hulk around the same time, and the Sub No Date helped me buy the SD43 last year. I really liked the larger size on my 7.5” wrist.

I only regret selling the Coke GMT II which my son loved, and someday I’d like to replace the 42mm polar Explorer II for myself. The only other Rolex on my radar right now is a white dial ceramic Daytona and/or a new 41mm 116610LV, but I don’t have the funds right now.

To buy the new Rolex I sold 3 watches that I have not worn in at least 2 years - my 1976 Speedy 145.022-74, my POLMLE, and my Ti Planet Ocean 8500. The Ti 8500 was actually the hardest to part with. I last wore the vintage Speedy when I bought my speedmaster 3570.50 two years ago, even though I got it serviced 12 months ago. I never wore the POLMLE even though Omega serviced it in May 2018 - it was a safe queen. The Ti 8500 was last worn on a vacation summer 2018, because I wear the larger Ti 9300 more.

Meet Deep Blue 126660 - it’s the perfect size for me, and I love the gradient dial.

FA08CF09-F2E9-4451-BDA0-6D0BCF10E404.jpeg
    25D50A31-06EB-4C0D-BD7C-A3611588E9BB.jpeg
    6079B5FB-10B7-41E6-A396-8E4B0EAE8FD0.jpeg
    247898ED-CBF5-41E5-B479-F113BF5D4EE7.jpeg

The sad thing is that almost all of the Rolex watches that I have sold were ones that I had bought used in good but not perfect condition, so I wore them regularly without anxiety. But when I bought these newer ones in perfect condition I got scared to wear some of them outside of the house. I usually wear my titanium Planet Ocean 9300 daily because I can be hard on it and it doesn’t pick up any deep marks like my BLNR did (deep ding on 11 o’clock lug).

I’m hoping that I have the courage to wear this beautiful new watch and not be afraid to scratch it, because my Hulk and my SD43 have both been safe queens. I have vinyl Zagg screen protector material on the lugs and clasp of my Pepsi GMT II, which I have worn often. So I’m thinking I might have to buy similar stickers for my other Rolex watches if I’m going to wear them without fear.

With the adjustable glide lock clasp on the 2nd to smallest setting, I have left the dive extension installed and only removed one full-size link from the 12 o’clock side. I have plenty of room for expansion and I t should fit me fine in the winter with the clasp on the smallest setting - worst case I have to remove a half link in winter and leave it off.

As for comfort, it’s slightly heavier than my Ti Planet Ocean 9300, but not terribly. It seems to wear about the same size, despite 1.5mm smaller, although I think it doesn’t wear as tall as the 9300. So it’s extra weight doesn’t make it top heavy when wearing it because the weight is spread out more and lower to the wrist.

It’s definitely not as comfortable as the Ti Planet Ocean 8500 that I gave up. I hope I don’t regret that, because the Ti 8500 felt better on the wrist than even my lower profile but heavier POLMLE.

2. Bauhaus Sep 23, 2020

Congratulations! Beautiful piece. Especially the dial.

I do hope you will wear it and not make this another safe queen, they aren’t produced to sleep...

larryganz likes this.
  3. OmeGez Sep 23, 2020

These new Rolex posts pain me - they’ve just become investment pieces that cause anxiety to the owners..

Just wear it. I understand the first few days with any watch is that anxious/excited phase that you just want it pristine. But I truly believe the sooner you get over the scratching phase, the better - I love wearing my 16570 daily.

Alphasports, Davidt, watch3s and 3 others like this.
  4. larryganz The cable guy Sep 23, 2020

I do want to wear them, and certainly don’t buy any watches with the idea that they would appreciate in value if I don’t wear them - it’s more of thinking about that first scratch (same with a new car). I fear dents more than scratches. Been there done that.

But it’s true that when I buy a 5-20 year old Submariner or Explorer II then I don’t worry about wearing them, while a new Rolex scares the bejezus out of me.

Somehow that little bit of plastic screen protector material I had installed on my stainless ceramic Pepsi GMT with Jubilee bracelet made me brave enough to wear it on server all occasions. So I think I’m gonna do the same thing with my deep blue.

Japanred, Scooterino36 and RRMagyar like this.
  5. RRMagyar Sep 23, 2020

Congratulations on such a beautiful watch -- I have two Rolexes a Submariner and an OP 39 -- and now that prices are taking a big jump up on the used and gray market, after the release of the new models three weeks ago -- I am starting to think twice about "how hard" I wear them! Enjoy the watch!!

larryganz likes this.
  6. High Hope Sep 23, 2020

I agree with @OmeGez. Your Deep Blue is spectacular, and it would be great to wear it. I haven't seen one but the Rolex website makes it look absolutely beautiful. That is a Rolex I would consider buying!

larryganz likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 23, 2020

Strap it on and wear it like it’s stolen.

I have a 1000m that gets a work out. Scratched bezel between 30 and 40 was a epic holiday.
    8B1091E2-354D-4C8C-BFB8-57F6748F7A63.jpeg

E2421F4D-2795-4C0D-A695-432571797C6D.jpeg

I’m keeping nothing nice for the next guy, stuff em.....:cool:

8. OmeGez Sep 23, 2020

Nobody ‘wants’ to scratch their watch, regardless of price - but it’s inevitable..

Prices are definitely on the rise, but with all the madness currently going on, they can also drop as quick.

I know I’ll get back what I paid for mine, even in a used state - so that’s a nice Reassurance, but it’s a massive hindrance.

95% of Omegas lose 15-20% as soon as you walk out of an AD - I actually prefer this from an enjoyment perspective, as you have no choice but to wear and enjoy the watch. This is where I truly believe Omegas definitely get enjoyed more than a Rolex, as they’re bought to be worn.

tikkathree, larryganz and watch3s like this.
  9. YY77 Sep 23, 2020

I don't own a Rolex but if I were to get one (SS Pepsi GMT II at RRP) I'll make sure I'll enjoy every hard earned $ I spend on it no matter the resale value. This also would have applied to the out of production Hulk.

larryganz and OmeGez like this.
  10. Dan S Sep 23, 2020

That's a beauty. As you probably know, I'm not a modern watch guy, but that dial is special.

larryganz likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 23, 2020

Beauty of a dial. Rolexes are tool watches. My GMT does not get babied. My only concern is getting mugged and have a dealer tell me I’m shit out of luck.
    2479CC9D-2AEB-4666-A16F-90A4B2B33471.jpeg

12. JwRosenthal Sep 23, 2020

This is why I hesitate to buy new (even cars). I suffer from the same "first scratch" anxiety so have just avoided it by doing as you did and finding excellent but used. If you're afraid to wear it, sell it and buy something you will wear, or give it to your son for a week and when you get it back, you won't have that anxiety anymore.

larryganz and Scooterino36 like this.
  13. lawler Sep 23, 2020

Extremely nice! Although probably a bit too big for my 'dainty' wrists.

larryganz likes this.
  14. jaguar11 Sep 23, 2020

Enjoy!!!!!!

larryganz likes this.
  15. Scooterino36 Sep 23, 2020

Agreed. Bought two of my watches new, and were much more enjoyable 3-4 months after owning and taking a few scratches.

larryganz and OmeGez like this.
  16. Davidt Sep 23, 2020

I've found my new Explorer is a scratch magnet. Most days I'll look at it, think I've got a small water mark and it turns out to be a scratch.

I'm quite happy with that though as mine was bought to be a daily wearer. A pristine explorer looks naff, so the case will be staying unpolished and sharp while the scratches build up.

OmeGez and larryganz like this.
  17. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Sep 23, 2020

Larry congrats on the Deep Blue. It's beautiful. I'm expecting the new 41mm OP tomorrow and can't wait to put it on the wrist.

larryganz likes this.
  18. pdxleaf ... Sep 23, 2020

Totally get the fear factor.

I don't want a watch i am afraid to wear. My daily is a new model speedy that i wear pouring concrete, working on the car, gardening etc. I am not purposely trying to scratch it but I want to see the wear that I made, not someone else.

So that's the background. Just bought an Oris, which also has a blue dial. Oris compared to Rolex? No where near close. BUT, I love it! It's new and shiney and so pretty. I know I have to wear it but I don't want a knick.

We should check back in a year and compare knicks and scratches. Anyone who bought or will buy a new wacth recently can join in the challenge.

I know it's not fair for you to wear your Rolex like I wear my Oris. But you bought a gorgeous watch. You have to wear it. If for no other reason than having your son try to protect you. "Be careful, Dad! You almost knicked the watch! Arrrgggg! Here, let me carry that for you."

20200921_162103.jpg

larryganz and eugeneandresson like this.
  19. larryganz The cable guy Sep 24, 2020

Thanks all!

My biggest regret about parting with the Blue Grade 5 Titanium Planet Ocean 8500 Liquid Metal, to help buy this Deep Blue, was that it was near impossible to put a real scratch in it after hundreds and hundreds of hours of wearing it. Any minor surface marks were all too shallow to feel with a fingernail, and so I felt no reason to ever try to polish it during the 5 years I had it.

My Ti Planet Ocean 9300 has thousands of hours of wearing, and it too has taken a beating without any deep marks or dings, and virtually no change in time keeping over the past four and a half years.

But when I still had my 1983 Submariner or 1991 Explorer II I had no fear of scratches at all, even though the 904L steel was much softer. They were used with small marks, and their value was also only $3500 - $5000. So, a gouge that would drop their value would sting less than the same Mark with my 1-2 year old Rolex watches that can sell for $14,000 to $18,000 each (Pepsi GMT, Hulk, SD43, Deep Blue).

Regardless, I Do wear my Pepsi GMT and will wear the Deep Blue (with protective film). I may keep the SD43 pristine and unworn to help fund a ceramic Daytona or 41mm ceramic Kermit someday. The Hulk wears a little small on me, but maybe I save it for my son someday?

pdxleaf likes this.
  20. watch3s Sep 24, 2020

Amen, I still havent worn the tudor blue bay 58 out yet, that i got as a belated 30th birthday present for myself. Some times its hard to wear a new watch. No issues wearing my older rolexes that ive bought used.

larryganz likes this.