Forums Latest Members
  1. wwhntr Aug 11, 2016

Here's a loooong story, how will it end? (Sorry if I bore anyone, but to me it's one of the most interesting ways I've ever come upon a Speedy.)

Last month while eating breakfast before the NAWCC National Convention conversation began with couple at table next to me. The husband, a longtime clock collector, talked to my friend a while about their mutual appreciation for clocks. At some point I mentioned that we really liked wristwatches and that I collected Omegas, particularly Speedmasters. The husband mentioned that around 1964-1966, while in the military, he bought a Speedmaster new. He indicated he might be interested in selling. I got his name and phone number while my imagination went wild! Could it be a straight lug Speedy? Only time would tell.

I waited until last night to contact him requesting pictures. He quickly apologized for having not already looked for watch. By midnight he sent the following pictures. Turns out he actually bought watch in 1968 while in Korea.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I do not know what reference it is...he was unable to open back. He had it serviced in late '70's early '80's. Wife bought him another watch and Speedmaster sat in drawer last 30 years. The watch runs, do not know if it keeps time, the top pusher starts/stops chrono, the bottom pusher does nothing/will not move. We talked by phone this morning. Since he seemed ready to sell, we discussed value based upon unknown repairs/service needed and a range just guessing what reference it could be. (I'm also unsure about the case back. In one picture it looks like a service back while in another it appears original. I'm kind of anxious to see in person! Input/opinions are welcomed.) We came up with a price range that I thought fair to both of us. He emailed me a few hours later stating that the low end of price range seemed more than fair and watch should be in hand this Saturday.

Ok, so now I'm like a kid at Christmas. The reset button issue could be many things...gummed up, broken part, or hopefully not rust! Will it be a 145.022-68, a 145.012-67 or -68, or a 105.012-66? I did quite a bit of homework, but there's really no way to know until I remove case back. What do you think?

Who wants to place their vote/guess which reference it will be???

Giff2577 likes this.
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Aug 11, 2016

I think it has the low pushers, wide TT dial and special case of a 105.012-66 CB. And it's a real nice one too!

wwhntr, marturx, Davidt and 1 other person like this.
  3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Aug 11, 2016

Here is another, with a narrow TT dial, for comparison. Good luck!
    image.jpeg

wwhntr likes this.
  4. cvrle1 Aug 12, 2016

I believe it is either 105.012 or 145.012 pre-moon. Both have same backs, dot over 90 and look pretty similar to one another. I havent seen either with see through hands so far, but that doesnt mean I know what I am talking about. I am sure a lot more knowledgeable people will let you know a lot more.

5. rollingrevolver Aug 12, 2016

I agree with @gemini4 and am gonna go for 105.012-66 CB.

wwhntr and richardew like this.
  6. Davidt Aug 12, 2016

66-CB all day long.

Looks to be a great example.

wwhntr and richardew like this.
  7. richardew Aug 12, 2016

66-CB

wwhntr likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Aug 12, 2016

For a minute, I thought you might have gotten your hands on a prototype of the Golden Squirrel LE.

Nuts. This is just another vintage Speedster thread.

9. marturx Aug 12, 2016

Sweet! An all original, excellent conditioned, one owner 105.012-66 CB.

Nothing to dwell over, buy it quickly, I doubt you´ll get another chance at a better one.

Edit; with the original bracelet too, which looks to be equally good as the watch

wwhntr likes this.
  10. wwhntr Aug 12, 2016

I did not notice until a friend made same comment. I can see flat lugs on left side of case,but not on right side. I hope it's not a reflection you're seeing. A CB would be sweet!!!

11. wwhntr Aug 12, 2016

Paid for watch and overnight shipping last night. Mystery will unravel soon. It should be in my hands by noon Saturday!

12. wwhntr Aug 12, 2016

No one has commented on case back. Second picture really threw me off, thinking it could be a service/replacement back (note how close to edge of back notches for case wrench appear to be. Asked seller to send picture at another angle, first picture, which looks better to me.)

What do experts here think?

13. wwhntr Aug 12, 2016

Oh well, I knew I would bore someone::shy:: Sorry, I just can't curb my enthusiasm! It amazes me that I still get this excited even after collecting for 25 years! I'm about to "bust a nut"::psy:: I know, different strokes for different folks.
    I'm really sorry if some just don't "get it"! Wait, no I'm not...that means there's more Speedys for me to find::bleh::

14. wwhntr Aug 13, 2016

Watch arrived today. It's a 105.012-66 CB, unpolishihed case, original flat footed crown and original narrow omega symbol crystal. Everyone spotted what I somehow overlooked. I just wasn't expecting a CB or thought flat lugs were just a reflection. Bracelet is a 23 link 1039 1st qtr 68 with several stretched expandable links. Broken mainspring and non functioning reset pusher so it will go in for a service soon.

Needless to say I'm very pleasantly surprised! This will go into my collection when I get it sorted out. Original owner is composing "letter of provenance". All I know for now is he was a paratrooper and bought it in Korea in 1968 because he liked the rugged looking style. Here's a few more pictures I took quickly today.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

15. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Aug 13, 2016

Welcome to the club!

16. thevespabandit Aug 13, 2016

My goodness, what beauty.

Congratulations man!

17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 13, 2016

Very nice! Sounds like you got it for a good price too! Good job!

18. wwhntr Aug 13, 2016

Here's his younger brother with close T's dial.
    image.jpeg

19. wwhntr Aug 13, 2016

Had this CB wide T's dial but recently sold. Lume had been removed from plots.
    image.jpeg

20. Davidt Aug 13, 2016

The archetypal twisted lug for me.

Lovely example. Enjoy