Forums Latest Members
  1. astrosfan Oct 7, 2012

A couple of you here already know how much I love the classic Speedy. Well, I spent about 16 months looking for the right one at the right price, which could be a daily wearer, and not live in a safe or watch box. It's 861 is from 1972 (the last year we walked on the moon), and arrived with a really beaten bezel and crystal. After giving it a light brush and polish, replacing the crystal, and pressing on a new bezel (keeping the old one), here she is. Strap is a Hirsch Leonardo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dial has been redone (as honestly disclosed by the seller), but to a high standard. This was reflected in the very fair price I scored, and is allowing the funds for servicing. I'm smiling!

MKelley and cicindela like this.
  2. astrosfan Oct 7, 2012

I failed to mention that it is +3 seconds per day. Yeah!!!

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 7, 2012

I know what you mean. I own a Speedy Apollo 11 35th Panda, that while I love to wear it, I don't make a daily wearer as I don't want to beat it up.

astrosfan likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Oct 7, 2012

Looks good Trey! There's no harm putting replacement parts on a vintage watch if you're upfront if/when you go to sell it and alos include the originals.

Oh, and you know you can fill in the caseback lettering with an enamel pen, right?

astrosfan likes this.
  5. astrosfan Oct 7, 2012

Thank you Dennis! Funny you say that about the enamel, as I just bought a Testors pen last week. That'll come in handy for the Airman as well.

As far as selling the Speedmaster, it has been my grail for a while & it will have a home here for a long time!

6. alam Oct 7, 2012

Looks good! :thumbsup: great pics too!

astrosfan likes this.
  7. Dash1 Oct 8, 2012

Looks great. Can't see what's wrong with the dial?
    Even has the original early style crown from what I can see.

astrosfan likes this.
  8. astrosfan Oct 8, 2012

Thanks man, it is a healthy example & I'm thrilled to have it!