Forums Latest Members

Incoming...non-Omega (what?!)

1. Shem Aug 10, 2014

I'm a huge Omega fan and collector, but no one brand can possibly have a design to fill every niche a watch enthusiast might want. In particular, I've been attracted to the design of the JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon 39, a dressy watch with the classic moonphase and date ring at 6-o'clock, but I rarely have occasion to wear dress watches and something so conservative as the MUT Moon 39 is difficult to dress down. Further, I couldn't justify that outlay of cash on a non-Omega since there are so many Omegas I'm saving for that I could wear every day. :p

As some of you know, I'm also a sucker for unique blue dials -- I have the Skyfall AT8500, an electric blue Seamaster 300m, and a Yacht-Master from that crown brand -- with such pieces as the PP Nautilus 5712 and the FP Journe Chronometre Bleu on my wishlist.

So what is one to do when one wants a dressy (but not too dressy) watch with the MUT Moon 39 style design, preferably with a manufacture movement, and without breaking the bank?

Enter...Frederique Constant?!?!

I had no idea this watch existed until I searched for "moonphase" while wasting time on WatchRecon. Turns out that it's a design similar to the MUT Moon 39 with a gorgeous and totally unique satin midnight blue dial, a manufacture movement, display caseback showing a very nicely decorated movement, and a contemporary 42mm case...all for an unbelievably low price (preowned). Then I discovered that this Frederique Constant Slimline Moonphase was actually recommended by a number of watch blogs as a "best buy" even at MSRP ($3,695), providing lots of watchmaking bang for the buck. So I sent an offer, did some negotiating, and successfully managed to purchase this near-mint preowned example for a great price that made it truly a no-brainer.

The dial is very unique in that it appears almost black in lower lighting conditions, such as you might find in a nice restaurant in the evening, but shows a beautiful satin finish with a hint of sunburst when it catches the light. Despite the conservative design, I think this watch is versatile and can be dressed down effectively because of the blue dial and contemporary 42mm case size (which wears nicely even on my tiny wrists because of the short lugs). FC also makes a bracelet for this model that I'm looking into getting, which would dress it down even further.

In short, it's no Omega, but it doesn't try to be -- it fits a niche that Omega really doesn't cover, and at a price point that won't hold me back too much from my Omega wishlist. It's basically eliminated my desire for the JLC MUT Moon 39 and reduced the urgency of my desire for the FP Journe Chronometre Bleu, all at 1/15th the price!

Without further ado, here are some photos. I tried to catch the dial in different lighting conditions to show the various effects you can get from it.

IMG_0980.jpg IMG_0985.jpg IMG_0986.jpg IMG_0987.jpg IMG_0988.jpg

Nat likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 10, 2014

Very sharp, FC really do execute some nice pieces in the JLC / IWC style

3. ctime3 Aug 10, 2014

Shem,

I like it. It has a little aqua terra feel to it with the markers. (I have a whole new appreciation for the aqua terra with reviews and more wrist time.) but what I also like is how the moon phase really stand out saying "This my nucleus." The crown awesome, dial is cool and mysterious. Good find my friend. Looking to pull the trigger on the aqua terra captains master co axial. I have become very close minded to anything else. It's odd at the time I saw you at the King of Prussia event. I was speedy pro and nothing else. Now I am more aqua t. Next time you go up to king of Prussia give me a call

Charlie

4. Shem Aug 10, 2014

Hey Charlie, I was just at KoP yesterday lol. You do know about our Baselworld GTG on September 6th right? I'll definitely be there then. I'll also be there as soon as Michael has time to inspect my new-to-me electric blue Seamaster. I'll let you know as soon as I know. And thanks for the compliment on this new FC!

P.S. You can't go wrong with the Aqua Terra. I just voted for it as the best "one watch" Omega in a thread on one of the forums, even above the Speedy Pro (largely because of its water resistance and ability to be dressed-up for wear with a suit). Obviously the best answer is to own both!

5. ctime3 Aug 11, 2014

Thanks Shem I value your opinion. Yes I just received my invite today for the Basel event. I will be there. Thanks again for the reminder I will talk to you soon

6. repoman Aug 12, 2014

I like the piece Shem... its big and bold, but still elegant.

7. CdnWatchDoc Aug 13, 2014

Hey Shem,
    an excellent choice for a non-Omega watch...I received the RG last year for my 50th birthday from my family, and I really love it...the finishing is excellent, and it fits very nicely on the wrist. Great to wear with a suit or even jeans...Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

Nat likes this.