Forums Latest Members
  1. AJDay Feb 10, 2013

2. Dablitzer Feb 10, 2013

thats the seller I was ready to do a deal with on their pie pan De luxe! It went WAY over what I expected..

can you inbox me what you paid if you don't wanna disclose? I'm just interested. It looks like a very clean piece..

3. AJDay Feb 10, 2013

I should have it in-hand by Wednesday or so, would prefer to wait until then before disclosing (superstitious maybe...)

The case looks incredible to me, and the font discussion here made me comfortable with the dial - my first waffle :D

Hope to get a fully clean bill of health from the experts here!

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 10, 2013

The thing is when making an offer off ebay for a deluxe piepan the offer has got to be in the ballpark of the worth of the watch. An offer say under $1000 isn't going to do it!

5. AJDay Feb 10, 2013

Any thoughts on my incoming waffle Mike?

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 10, 2013

Looks nice and original. Even if you paid a bit more than what passes for "market price" nowadays, it's still better than being too cheap and missing a nice piece altogether.

7. AJDay Feb 10, 2013

Thanks! That was exactly my thinking. I take really good care of my watches, so hopefully if I ever decide to get rid of this one, I will be okay.

Any thoughts on "market price"? Still not great at estimating...

8. Dablitzer Feb 10, 2013

trust me, I offered enough, I was about to transfer the money! There were buyers from Hong Kong in the mix pricing it beyond 5k. Also the seller had a problem with the crown and is having it repaired first.

9. AJDay Feb 10, 2013

You scared me, for a second I thought you were talking about the one I bought! I would have felt bad if you wanted this waffle that bad (and probably would have sold it to you at my cost if you really wanted it that bad...)

10. Dablitzer Feb 10, 2013

Thanks AJ, very kind...But I have a jumbo waffle to keep me busy! ;)

image.jpg

MKelley and AJDay like this.
  11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 10, 2013

For this one when we earlier discussed it I thought it would top $1000 if the auction was allowed to finish.

12. ulackfocus Feb 10, 2013

"The quality remains long after the price is forgotten" - Sir Henry Royce.

Sure, everybody likes a bargain - but everyone here likes an awesome mint condition vintage watch even more. We have documented cases of experienced ΩF members paying double market price, or more, for the best specimens.

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 10, 2013

Then that's too bad then! That connie wasn't as nice as made out to be - it was clearly worn and had been polished. It was nice but not exceptional.

14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 10, 2013

Experienced, inebriated - why split hairs? I have paid substantially above market.

tomvox1 likes this.
  15. Dablitzer Feb 10, 2013

Yeah, I'm glad fate took its course, I wasn't happy spending that much when I don't have the experience with those deluxes. And I would of liked a movement shot.. One will come around again, one day. There's no rush for me. :thumbsup:

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 10, 2013

As I've said - far better to overpay for a really nice piece than to miss the mark and thus the piece forevermore! My greatest regrets in the hobby are pieces that I wasn't willing to pay either market or above market to get - I remember these more than the great deals I've had. Perhaps it is human nature to be haunted by the ones that got away!

17. ulackfocus Feb 10, 2013

:p You were one of the guys I was thinking of.

That's not just a vintage watch rule, that's a life axiom - better to experience something than to regret not doing it.

Privateday7 likes this.
  18. AJDay Feb 10, 2013

I have seen this advice several times on the forum, and am so far very glad that I took it (will be more glad when it arrives and everything is at it seems).

19. Dablitzer Feb 10, 2013

I think so, there is something that stays with you when you "miss out" on that piece you think you'll never see again in that condition. But, it's all part of the experience for me..and i have to say I'm a strong believer in fate!

20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 10, 2013

That is Truth with a capital "T," Mike. I have a mental list of about 6 watches I should have stretched for in the last several years, but didn't...and I've never seen their like since.