Forums Latest Members
  1. cvrle1 Sep 5, 2016

After reading lots of great advice and hints on OF, and researching vintage Omega's, I jumped in and bought my 1st one. I planned on getting a vintage Moon watch as the 1st one, but won a vintage Seamaster 300 this AM. I was drawn to them since I saw them 1st, but prices were way too high, and they didnt really show up too often for sale. This one is coming from Japan. Purchase price was tad under $1100, but with few fees and shipping that I will need to pay, final price will be around $1300. Seeing how few fakes got more than that, I think it is a pretty good deal (please correct me if I am wrong)

It looks like it is all original and in a good shape. Please do point out if I missed something hat I should be worried about. do have few days where I can cancel the purchase, so it is not too late to back out if need be. Pics from the listing:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One thing I was kinda worried about is Omega Watch Co writing on the movement. It didnt look crisp as i would expect it to be. I did do quite a bit of looking around and found several more examples of similar lettering on other SM300s that dont look as crisp. perhaps it is just bad pic/angle. Does this look ok?
    [​IMG]

So, anything I should be worried about? Price wise, what do you think?

Thanks again to every one of you for this amazing site and all the help so far. Amount of knowledge, information and people willing to lend a hand and their knowledge is truly amazing.

emilio likes this.
  2. JohnSteed Sep 5, 2016

3. watchlovr Sep 5, 2016

At first look I don't like the bezel, insert or case.
    Tooooooo cheap.

Giff2577 likes this.
  4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 5, 2016

Yahoo Japan is full of bogus SM300s. There hasnt been a real one sold there in months. If this were real, it would have sold for the correct price. I agree the bezel is bogus. Pretty sure the dial, which has no lume, is crap as well. No caseback reference is shown. Another red flag. Get out of this if possible.

Edit. Dial is bogus too. Run for the exits on this!!

Giff2577 and tamura like this.
  5. Fost Sep 5, 2016

service dial repainted

6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 5, 2016

If you like they also of this watch available with the same dial with a red inscription. All crap::puke::::facepalm1::
    image.jpeg

jens0125 and JohnSteed like this.
  7. JohnSteed Sep 5, 2016

The caseback is obviously off too. The A .... I mean

Exactly

8. watchlovr Sep 5, 2016

"all original and in a good shape."
    I do not think so.

From another look (my battery ran out earlier)
    Case looks new, no scratches from strap changing in 40 years?
    Can't tell much from the inner case back photos but the outer inscription looks wrong (pointed A)
    Bezel is like new, insert is a know fake.
    Dial is a better than usual fake but check the overlarge serifs on 6 and 9 and too visible SWISS MADE (with no T's)

Movement looks ok.

Run away, not much for $1300

Edit, to be fair it is one of the better fakes I've seen, I'm not surprised you were taken in.

9. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 5, 2016

A real, vintage SM300 is probably around the... $5k? $6k? mark now, while a newly built WatchCo type is about $3-4k. The lume looks too good to be vintage. Run if you're able to!

Mark020 likes this.
  10. LaurentBxl Sep 5, 2016

This forum is just so helpful, i had such a good advice on a couple of UG purchases. So it is always better to ask the question before you commit not after. The price only is too good to be true, a good example with this kind of patina will be around 6k min, an honest one is around 4k, a watchco 3k. Of course they are better deals, but when you get down to 1k you should have all sorts of alarm belts rigging... then you look at the bezel insert and you run away.... I really hope you can still cancel the transaction... i wish you good luck!

11. uwsearch Sep 5, 2016

Edited Sep 5, 2016
  12. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Sep 5, 2016

If it sounds too good..........

13. Clibka Sep 5, 2016

@cvrle1 ... Let everyone know you got out of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. cvrle1 Sep 5, 2016

Ugh, started process of cancellation. Payed with CC so I have that option if need be.

I did do a lot of searching and reading, including site that uwsearch posted up.
    I also used following as well: http://thatwatchandmore.blogspot.ca/2013/03/buying-vintage-omega-seamaster-300.html

Here area reasons why I thought it was real:

6 and 9 do have a space between them. Font looked same
    A in waterproof on the case back has flat top
    A and M in seamaster look to be same height (kinda hard to tell)
    Date window isnt covered over
    There are original dials that were made without Ts as well. Read about this and saw pics on several places. Font looked same as on this watch.
    Movement looked same as others I saw. Lettering, font and everything was where it should be.
    Seller had a lot of good reviews.

Well this sucks, but thanks for the info. And here I thought I actually did all the research. *face slap*

15. calalum Sep 5, 2016

Just curious...you say that you did a lot of research. I assume that includes regarding market prices. And you thought that you just ferreted one out that was selling for 15% of the usual price and that it was legit? Are you a really naive person? Not trying to be critical, but some things are obvious.

CajunTiger likes this.
  16. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 5, 2016

Your first warning was the price. These watches have become harder and harder to find in nice condition. If this was legit it would have sold for 6 to 8 times this price. Anytime a highly desirable watch sells for 1/2 or less of its asking price is a clear sign something is wrong.

17. cvrle1 Sep 5, 2016

Lesson learned about the price. Thing is, there were close to 100 bids on this watch before I even thought about bidding. It was sitting close to 1K within the 1st day of it being listed (it was a 3 day listing). I had no clue that it would just stop. It doesnt help that listing ended at 4am local time here, so I put a bid and went to sleep thinking someone will outbid me for sure.

Even on eBay all the bids come in in the last few min. on YJ there is time extension as well, which prevents snipe bids and just keeps adding on time if someone tries to snipe. It is not uncommon for auction to end hours after it actually should due to this.

18. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 5, 2016

To the OP credit, this thread presented some valuable information to forum members. Price should have been a red flag, but it isn't an end all, There is also a bogus military BT listed in Japan for $10k.
    Shilling is also very common for these bogus SMs.

Edited Sep 5, 2016
    Nitzbar and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  19. Fost Sep 5, 2016

Do you think that the date version already reached the 7K dollards ? (just curious because there is few exemple on the market so it is difficult to have an idea today...)

So my question has an interest for me and i want to be fair, I am thinking about selling my non date version and I am not able to find a real current price today... I tried, but there is so unrealistic prices on the market that I am lost (11 or 12 K !! :/ ...)

So i will be very interested to have OF members opinion on the real price of the 166 and 165.024 in great condition today... (and maybe tomorow..)

Edited Sep 5, 2016
  20. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 5, 2016

Let's see the pics @Fost.