Incoming: Ed White 105.003-65 - My first time bidding (and winning) an auction!

Background:

I tested positive for COVID at the beginning of this month (February 2022), which meant home isolation from the family in my room. I was formally given time off from work as well (yay), and, with a healthy, idle mind (I was largely asymptomatic) and plenty of time on my hands coupled with a raging desire to constantly and relentlessly continue to learn more about vintage watches, their history, meaningful references, etc. meant it was only a matter of time before I became trigger happy during this time away from it all and made a purchase. I almost knew at the start of my quarantine that this was almost inevitable because I'm almost always on the lookout for something that's of interest to me and keep detailed notes and Excel sheets full of my observations so that I can reference them in situations when something becomes available and I need to make a spot or quick decision. It's then that I stumbled (or re-stumbled, since I had seen it before but didn't find much that aligned to my tastes) upon Eric Ku's new venture Loupethis, an auction site specifically for watch collectors.

Process:

Long story short, I bid and eventually won a watch that I've always wanted in my collection but which I think was now priced out of my consideration, the Ed White 105.003 (this is the 65 variation). The bidding process was easy and I had an inkling that with the distraction posed by the plethora of Modern Rolex, AP, and other happening, hype and "investment" pieces, many would find good ol' Ed to be a mere distraction and nothing to chase and pursue with a bidding war to drive up the hammer price at the end. My hunch proved right (I had spent hours scouring previous wins including an incredible condition 2914 which sold for 7.5k USD with its extract) and the overall sales (with buyers premium) came in at a respectable 9.9k USD, which was slightly below the ceiling I had set for myself.

Thoughts:

During the process (the bidding cycle is one week), I brushed up my knowledge of the particular reference, read as much as I could about others' experience here on the forums in buying or finding it, and also consulted some known collectors both here and on Instagram. I am especially thankful to @Spacefruit for being very, very patient with my barrage of unsolicited questions and his expert analysis and discerning eye with regards to its condition and what was good (or not so good) about it and also to @Archer for his recommendations of whether a service is required (it is!). The combined views given were in no way an endorsement of this piece since the choice to pursue it was ultimately entirely mine and only I could decide whether with its known flaws (the completely aftermarket bracelet) it was worth what I was willing to pay. To me it's a great example and using the speedmaster101 Price chart I'd subjectively put this in the "very good" category. The case is obviously polished, the bezel faded with nicks, chips and yes, on closeup, some gunk but the dial I think is fantastic and in the 2 days I've been wearing it, I've found its lemon yellow patina to be very pleasant and right in the sweet spot of what I like. In fact, the combined package (with that greyish bezel) really appeals to me (hey, I started this vintage thing with vintage Rolex submariners and ghost insert watches).

I've attached some pictures from the site here (they are not mine) which I think are meant to be a warts and all, unflattering, non-sexed up honest depiction of the watch, not to lure but to allow scrutiny. I found this to be rather refreshing and to be honest, in-person the watch is really fantastic on my wrist.

Link to the original listing:

https://loupethis.com/auctions/omega-speedmaster-105-003-ed-white

What now?

I'd like to hear the thoughts of other forum members here as well. The good and the bad (it's ok, I'm open to knowing the truth about my acquisition even if it may not be what I may want to hear and especially if anyone suspects it's some sort of a closet dud, which I doubt). I was especially concerned about the condition of the pushers, which I think are original to the watch, but I understand these can be changed/replaced during service. I've also applied for an EoA so let's see what happens when (and if?) that comes through. Finally, in addition to the listing pictures I've attached some images based on the one day that I've worn it on my wrist in the sunny outdoors, which is how I usually get to see my watches!

Thanks for listening and making this place and community what it is.

The first 7 images from the listing (much better and more detailed than anything I could manage, hence reproduced here). As always, click to see enlarged view:

Dial.jpeg Caseback.jpeg Movement.jpeg Dial closeup.jpeg Lugs 2.jpeg Lugs.jpeg Crown.jpeg IMG_0255.JPG IMG_0253.JPG IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0249.JPG IMG_0244.JPG

Congrats, I love the dial. Taking account the case, of course polished, I think it is a very good deal.

Very nice, you did well. Bit of a gap between case back and case - overly thick gasket, or not fully screwed down?

Congratulations! That’s a stunning piece and you’re absolutely right about the dial being the star of the show. It was also insightful reading about your research and motions throughout the bidding process.
My doubts would be around the hands, which look completely new. I would expect some yellowing of the subdial hands for a watch this age, and all of them look a little too perfect. They could be spectacularly well preserved too.

Did you check the lume on the hands? Look a bit new to me and could be service replacements. Try the UV light.

I think it's an appealing watch, and you did quite well. By the Speedmaster101 standards, I would say it's almost GOOD overall, which would price out at about $15k on William's chart. (VG is actually an extremely high standard, and watches that sold for $23k on the open market were usually pretty amazing, even at the height of Ed-White-mania.) Your experience is consistent with the observations of many people that 105-003 prices have weakened significantly, although dealer asking prices remain sticky.
Edited:

Congrats, I love the dial. Taking account the case, of course polished, I think it is a very good deal.

Thanl you @befobe.

Very nice, you did well. Bit of a gap between case back and case - overly thick gasket, or not fully screwed down?

This is why I love this place. You guys notice things I never would....

I think it was hastily half-closed to take the photos. It's nothing like that based on my inspection. I don't have a proper macro lens, but here is a quick image I just took.

IMG_0268.JPG

Congratulations! That’s a stunning piece and you’re absolutely right about the dial being the star of the show. It was also insightful reading about your research and motions throughout the bidding process.
My doubts would be around the hands, which look completely new. I would expect some yellowing of the subdial hands for a watch this age, and all of them look a little too perfect. They could be spectacularly well preserved too.

Did you check the lume on the hands? Look a bit new to me and could be service replacements. Try the UV light.

Good points both. The first thing I did was inspect under UV as soon as I got them and the reaction and fade (just a few seconds) is completely consistent across both dial and hands. I've attached a pic that I just took.

IMG_0267.JPG
Man, this one looks fantastic 🥰
Very nice catch! Congratulations!!

Many thanks @Seaborg and @perenowell. All this feedback is encouraging and makes me think why I didn't have the courage to bid earlier!

Nice watch indeed ! Lucky fellow !

That’s a very fine Ed White. Congratulations!
🥰🥰🥰 Congrats look's great.

Thank you all of you!

I think it's an appealing watch, and you did quite well. By the Speedmaster101 standards, I would say it's almost GOOD overall, which would price out at about $15k on William's chart. (VG is actually an extremely high standard, and watches that sold for $23k on the open market were usually pretty amazing, even at the height of Ed-White-mania.) Your experience is consistent with the observations of many people that 105-003 prices have weakened significantly, although dealer asking prices remain sticky.

Yes, this might be a GOOD example (which is perfectly fine by me) though these assessments are subjective and the labels only help as approximations to make purchase decisions. I can't (and don't mean to) debate with it except to say that for the price, considering where we are with watch collecting in general, it's very pleasing to me eye and a lot of watch for the money, especially with some concrete history and horology pedigree behind it.

Here's another outdoor pic sans the hirsute arm

IMG_0265.JPG

IMO GOOD is the right place to be for most people who like to wear their watches without worrying. Frankly, of the dozens of watches in my collection, few would be considered VG by @Spacefruit's standards, and I'm always a bit nervous to wear them. I probably have only a handful of watches he would consider EXCELLENT, and most people would call them NOS. I just enjoy looking at them, no wearing.

Thank you all of you!

Yes, this might be a GOOD example (which is perfectly fine by me) though these assessments are subjective and the labels only help as approximations to make purchase decisions. I can't (and don't mean to) debate with it except to say that for the price, considering where we are with watch collecting in general, it's very pleasing to me eye and a lot of watch for the money, especially with some concrete history and horology pedigree behind it.

Here's another outdoor pic sans the hirsute arm

IMG_0265.JPG

All that matters is that you like it! Good, no-good, very good, who really cares, as long as you’re happy with it.

Wear it in good health, it’s a nice watch.

I'm often underwhelmed withe these types of threads that start off with "I just bought this watch, what do you think?" So I wasn't prepared for your watch. Scrolling down the page to where the pictures popped up, I just said "Deeee-aaammmmm! Nice watch!"

That dial is beautiful. The lume is normally all overcthe place on these. Omega seemed to have used kindergarteners to apply the lume when they were made. Yours looks great. It's surprising to see the uv test as the hands are so nice they do look replaced but they passed the UV test. That looks amazing on your wrist, which is where it should be.

No worries about the case polish. So few cases haven't been polished. It's really a choice between an old polish or a recent polish. You have a nice even surface now to add your own nicks and wear. Let the next guy in 50 years worry about whether it was polished.

Only bad thing is I should have been bidding on that. 😁

Congrats! I saw this listing right after it ended and thought the price was pretty good. "What am I missing?" Happy to see it here and that it seems to have been a good purchase. That dial is wonderful.

Amazing acquisition. I saw this listing on loupethis, and have to say that it is quite a nice price, even with buyer's premium taken in. Congratulations.