Forums Latest Members
  1. epl108 Sep 16, 2014

The piece that got me into watches (and helped lead me to OF!) is finally back in my possession after over 9 months at the spa. It's been a bit of a rough ride since I sent it off; from USPS thinking it was lost, to the realization that the dial had been shoddily repaired in the past and was now past the point of fixing, to some parts my watch maker needing from "across the pond" being back ordered for weeks to the USPS almost losing the watch AGAIN on its return shipment. I can't explain how thankful I am to have the watch back with me and on my wrist.

For those who don't recall, I was given my uncle's 145.012 when he passed away and wore it here and there for a few years until I began doing some digging and found out how cool/important of a watch it was. I almost had it send back to Switzerland through Omega to have a broken crown fixed and the watch overhauled but luckily some friendly and knowledgeable members here talked some sense into me and explained why that wasn't the best idea. I wound up sending it to a forum member who is also a full-time watch maker and who does extra projects in his spare time and who did absolutely amazing work on this. It looks as new as a daily wearer from 1967 could look, and now works as well (if not better) than the day it left the factory.

Here are some pictures of the package arriving (via FedEx after the USPS incorrectly returned it to the sender) and me opening it up.
    IMG_1425.JPG IMG_1427.JPG IMG_1429.JPG IMG_1430.JPG

As I said, we found that the dial was beyond repair because the legs had been broken and probably soldered at least once in the past which had actually burned through the dial. I'm hoping to find a correct 145.012 dial sometime and then I will put the original hands back on too - i figured if I was putting a new service dial on, I might as well have hands that matched. Anyone looking to part with a dial, please please please let me know! (alternatively, if you have experience with broken legs on these old dials and have found a way to replace them, I'd love to hear how and who did it so I might be able to use the original I have.)

Thanks again to everyone who pointed me in the right directions back in November of last year (especially you, Dennis)!

Best,
    Evan

Lastatic, Gavin and CdnWatchDoc like this.