Forums Latest Members
  1. scotty Mar 22, 2014

I've been looking for one of these in this color for a while now but they are super hard to find. I fluked out finding one with just a stainless steel buckle and no watch, especially in this kind of condition!

I was given measurements in inches and not metric so I'm not 100% sure this is a 18mm by 16mm strap but at the price I got it I couldn't take the chance on missing out on it.

My wife will be pissed to find out it is made out of elephant (I believe) leather though, oh well.....

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

cristos71, quito and alam like this.
  2. alam Mar 22, 2014

I like it!, which is the lucky watch that will wear this one?

3. Dablitzer Mar 22, 2014

Great colour, hard to find! :thumbsup:

4. scotty Mar 22, 2014

Depends on fit. I have two watches I wear on a regular basis. Both 18K which is why I wanted this color.
    1) Omega Seamaster Olympic XVI
    2) Omega DeLuxe

5. alam Mar 22, 2014

Good deal! Pics are a must! ;-)

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 22, 2014

Tell her that Omega was very progressive in those days, and only used skins from Elephants that died of natural causes. If she believes you, tell her that you're going to buy more vintage watches because a portion of the proceeds will be sent to good charitable causes. If she believes that, please send me her phone number. :rolleyes:

scotty, gatorcpa, joep and 5 others like this.
  7. woodwkr2 Mar 22, 2014

Awesome band!

8. bupdyke Mar 22, 2014

Hi Scotty. Glad you found one! :)

9. JohnSteed Mar 22, 2014

great find scotty!

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 23, 2014

Very nice vintage strap :thumbsup:

And elephant is much much more acceptable than baby albino seal.

Unless of course it's baby elephant :eek:

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2014

Very nice, I love these thick side straps

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 23, 2014

Awesome strap. You got nice catch scotty........

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 23, 2014

The band is a nice buy, good to have in the parts box and will look fantastic on a vintage Omega.

I would not recommend actually using it on a watch that you actually wear. It's going to be very uncomfortable at first. Then it's highly likely to fall apart. These watchbands were not designed to be stored for 60 years and then be used everyday like the watches were. It was more like used for a year or two then replaced.

That one has lasted this long is a minor miracle. Please
    don't press your luck,
    gatorcpa

14. woodwkr2 Mar 23, 2014

Really?
    I understand keeping it in the drawer and putting it on watches for photos or as a display piece. It'll stay nice that way for sure, but I wear NOS straps on many of my watches daily. I use some leather conditioner on them before trying to bend them (and watch out, leather conditioner may take the Omega logo right off the back of the strap), but I've had some very good results with vintage bands.

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 23, 2014

And that's the point. Why take a chance on ruining a collectible, when for anywhere from $20 to $100 you can buy a good quality modern watchband. When it wears out, go buy another.

A watch can almost always be repaired if something bad happens. Not so with a fragile exotic leather watchband that rarely is available for purchase.
    gatorcpa

16. woodwkr2 Mar 23, 2014

You make a good point, here. I think I'd keep this band in a drawer and pull it out for photo hour. The vintage bands that I wear on a daily basis are extremely well made, but aren't signed or particularly collectible.

17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 23, 2014

Excellent advice gator. I have 3 or 4 nice branded vintage leather watchbands that I just keep in drawer for "photo session" only. They are not really collectible, it is just pain in the ass to find similar correct strap again.
    Hirsch, Hadley Roma or Morellato in other hand, perfectly comfortable, affordable and replaceable.
    However I usually still use the old correct buckle as much as possible.

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 23, 2014

Absolutely! :cool:
    gatorcpa

19. scotty Mar 23, 2014

There is always a catch isn't there! You can see from the pic below that the strap is not that flexible. I was expecting to have to treat it a little to soften it up. I definitely don't want to wreck it though.

You can see from the pic below, the back of the strap with the holes, that the strap "might" have been used on the third hole for a small amount of time. Other than that though, you could almost consider it brand new for 60 years!

I believe in asking questions even when I probably shouldn't! ::book:: Is there a way to put a leather strap in some type of sealed box to treat the leather? I think this should be done even if I don't wear it. Looking for the gentle touch here.

I know with my new leather baseball gloves you would just cover it with leather softner and bend the hell out of it to soften the glove. My favorite way, was to bend the glove inside out and put it under my bend mattress. :eek:

10.jpg

9.jpg

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 23, 2014

I have had good results with a lanolin based non-colored shoe leather conditioner. You can usually find it at a grocery store or better quality shoe store. Good for your hands, too.

The problem with that particular band is the stability of the gold leaf "Omega" on the back. The use of any leather conditioner might strip it off and ruin the collectibility of the band itself.

gatorcpa