Forums Latest Members
  1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

Minding my business, trawling happily through the 'bay, I came across a watch that was not at all part of the agenda...but gee it was in good condition. Discipline reasserted itself and I browsed on...but wow you don't see one like that every day. Again, I remembered I was saving for something else and moved on...but golly, it's been a while since I've seen one that nice. And then I made a mistake. I asked Dennis about it. I quote the reply in full:"You're going to grab it, right? That watch can't go to some schmuck!"

It arrived the other day.
    [​IMG]

It really is in pretty nice shape. Interestingly, the seller said that Portuguese customs (watch was from Portugal) makes a little poincon in the lug upper left lug to mark that import duty was paid
    [​IMG]

Nothing shows off those monumental Conquest hour fleches like an oblique shot
    [​IMG]

Unusual configuration - date at 12, straight lug case - perhaps Dennis can shed light on this.
    [​IMG]

291 inside
    [​IMG]

'bout the best caseback fish I've ever seen - enamel is entirely intact.
    [​IMG]

And here's a fish connoisseur who agrees!
    [​IMG]

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

Lou I think you've made a very wise decision. This is obviously based on a superior thought process and uncanny, almost psychic abilities. I am sure that you will want to explore this to its fully extent and of course speed up this exploration into the "undiscovered land" by removing impediments and freeing up capital. To that end I would be willing to help you liquidate any hardware with the antiquated and inhibiting tittles of, El Primero, Zenith, 135, or Chronograph. Please let me know when and what I need to do to help. :)

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

Man what a nice watch...congrats! I love that caseback too, your pic makes me miss mine. :unsure:

4. ulackfocus Jan 12, 2013

The reason I didn't want some fool buying it is because that's a very rare combination. Late 1958 into early 1960 was a transitional time for Longines. There were many "factory Frankens". These watches (case reference 902x) were originally designed for the 19A series, and the date model was the 19ASD with the date at 3. This one has a 291, a caliber used in the later gold dialed models like mine and Gavin's that came out in 1959. Lou's watch is quite an interesting specimen in top condition, and the date at 12 was only offered for a little over a year in the Conquest. What's even more interesting is the green enamel is totally intact on the fish medallion.

5. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 12, 2013

Great find in great condition with the intact enamel. Congrats LouS. Makes me want to wear mine tomorrow.

One question. Does anyone know why that date at 12 was only made in such a short time. Just can't find anything on the world wide web.

6. ulackfocus Jan 12, 2013

Why? Don't know, probably like a limited run type of thing. All Conquest Power Reserve models had it at 12. 18ct Flagship automatics had the date at 12 in 1961 using the caliber 341. The Grand Prize automatic had a date at 6 somewhere around 1963 - 1965 with the caliber 343. I don't recall them actually being named limited editions though.

7. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 12, 2013

Thanks Dennis. Good to know we have one of those limited editions.

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

Oh well, Dennis. Better luck next time. ::rimshot::

Wheels likes this.