Forums Latest Members

In which country are Omega watchcases made? / By who?

1. heccsat Feb 7, 2018

Do you guys have any information where the cases are made nowadays? As we have seen many parts coming from China (bracelet link for example), some say that cases are also made in China. I'd like to find some legit information, do you folks have any?

2. rcs914 Feb 7, 2018

I doubt any Omega cases are made in China. Now Hamilton and Tissot, and lower end Swatch Group watches? Sure they likely have Chinese manufactured cases that are then sent back to Switzerland for assembly. With the requirement that 60% of the value of the watch has to be manufactured in Switzerland in order to be "Swiss Made" that becomes harder to do with the more expensive watches, unless they value each of the parts differently in an assembled watch than they do if you are buying each part individually via a parts account.

3. heccsat Feb 7, 2018

I am clear with the 60 % rule, it can be easily danced around though, if the movement is swiss then it can be enough to pass it.
    I have found nothing yet about this on the internet unfortunately, would be nice to hear something official or something close to it. Tissot uses cases made in Hong Kong, it is even written in the inside of the casebacks (at least in some of them), which is fine at that pricepoint. I would be disappointed if the same would come to the top about Omega.

Edited Feb 8, 2018
  4. asrnj77 Feb 7, 2018

I agree that I don’t think they’re made in China but even if they were, not everything that comes from China is suspect. Nobody wants a knock-off Chinese iPhone but the real iPhones are made in China too. Same with

Coming from a certain country carries weight that isn’t always deserved...the nicest shoes come from Italy, best watches from Switzerland, electronics from Japan, etc. It should really be about actual final quality and what’s good and what’s not. The country it came from doesn’t mean it’s going to be good or bad.

Foo2rama and makaria indica like this.
  5. heccsat Feb 8, 2018

I did not state anywhere that quality is always bad if it comes from China, I would only like to know where Omega makes his cases/buys his cases from.

6. asrnj77 Feb 8, 2018

heccsat likes this.
  7. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Feb 8, 2018

Cases are made in Switzerland, with a supplier that belongs to Swatch Group.

nmttd2, Bushido, propervinyl and 4 others like this.
  8. heccsat Feb 8, 2018

Thank you Robert!
    Thank you asrnj77!

Edited Feb 8, 2018
    Robert-Jan likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 8, 2018

Reading the new 60% regulations for Swiss Made is as clear as mud.

Comments like this.

If the movement is to be considered Swiss, 51% of its value must be Swiss and at least the last wheel must be added in Switzerland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_made

asrnj77 likes this.