Forums Latest Members

In the news: The Radical Plan to Destroy Time Zones

1. alam Feb 29, 2016

This idea and other variants is something that have come and failed in the past. Opposition to the idea is obviously much stronger. I wonder how the Watch industry would react to such proposal to change the current calendar/time system? ...and what happens to all those GMT and Perpetual Calendar watches out there??!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news.../12/the-radical-plan-to-destroy-time-zones-2/

More from the mad scientist http://henry.pha.jhu.edu/calendar.html

Hey! don't rush and sell your GMT or PC watches yet! :)

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 29, 2016

If the human race is going to conquer the galaxy, we will have to give up on this silly accounting of time that involves our little planet rotating around our little sun.

..hopefully not in my lifetime though...

3. arkstfan Feb 29, 2016

Well it is a pain dealing with people on Pacific time since I'm on Central or worse Arizona. Eastern to Central never bothers me but I grew up on four channel tv and every program was announced in eastern/central in promos.

My daughter is studying in Spain and once I learned 7 hour time difference I quickly adjusted. Noon here? 7pm there I can call before she goes out for the night. So time zone not so bad on that.

Website I used to use to find soccer telecasts used universal and all was dandy until we changed time.

4. ulackfocus Feb 29, 2016

What, so we can pollute the rest of the Milky Way? Humans aren't going to conquer anything until they finish evolving and learn that every ecosystem needs balance. The truest line I've ever heard in any science fiction movie was in the first Matrix:

Archer, Hijak and oddboy like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 1, 2016

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 1, 2016

That's got to be one of dumbest things I've ever read.

Humans by nature, are diurnal creatures. That is, we prefer to be awake during daylight and asleep at night. Can we adapt otherwise? Sure.

There are many studies that show short and long-term health risks from night-shift work.

http://www.m.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/shift-work?page=2

Yet this yutz wants to put most of the worlds population at risk?

BTW, this is one of the major reasons why there had been no truly long-term space missions. The health of the astronauts would be compromised long before arrival at their destination.

Dangerous idea.
    gatorcpa

cicindela and STANDY like this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 1, 2016

With ya @gatorcpa , they will want the earth to be flat again next.

8. arkstfan Mar 1, 2016

At first I didn't get your point @gatorcpa, then it was yeah some putz efficiency expert will tell a CEO that greater efficiency will be achieved if the employees at all sites keep the same schedule.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 1, 2016

Well, it would all be the same time then :whistling:

arkstfan likes this.
  10. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Mar 1, 2016

Saying from the Sahara desert in the eighties :
    'You [Europeans] have quartz watches, we [touaregs] have time.'

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 1, 2016

Actually he's not suggesting anything of the sort, and in fact he addresses this issue here:

"there must be local regional “opening and closing” hours for government offices and for businesses. No one wants people having to work without the sun being up."

It's just a mental adjustment that would have to be made, so instead of starting work at 7 am, you would start at what to us now would seem like a random number. You don't change the actual times that you start and finish work, just what they are called.

But then of course each geographic area would have to decide what is the appropriate starting time and quitting time, so they would need a system to keep track of that...hey I have an idea!!! ;)

oddboy and cicindela like this.
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 1, 2016

Great :thumbsup: Why don't we call that "Time Districts" :)

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 1, 2016

14. Perseus Mar 2, 2016

I'd settle for eliminating day light savings time.

arkstfan likes this.