Forums Latest Members

In the flesh : Rolex 2020 models

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 29, 2020

Can't find any threads with pics, so here goes for those of you still waiting to have a look. And naturally a few 2c impressions added.

I was walzing on down the main street of town, and happened to pass a Rolex AD.

I walk in. The fine folks greet me with friendliness, offer me a coffee, and then whip out some watches.

First on the list, the coral red OP in 36mm.

IMG_5831.jpg

I did not bother to ask for a 41mm OP ... this felt correct, and very very nice on my relatively large wrist. Whilst these bright colors all look strange on the website, they look different in the flesh (and not what one would expect from the website). This surprisingly was my favourite of the bright-color-OPs in-hand. Its fun, and I could seriously imagine pairing it out with all manner of straps.

I managed to handle a green dial (smaller, I forget which size) OP, but as with the new 'Kermit' Sub bezel (and all the colored ceramic bezels IMHO), the green is just wrong and extremely underwhelming. In the display they had the yellow, the pink and the light blue dialed OPs in various sizes ... none did anything for me, although I wouldn't mind a second glance at the yellow.

Next up, the latest hype watch.

IMG_5835.jpg

That green looks nothing like on the website, and in the flesh it was the same to me as in this photo...just wrong, underwhelming...hard pass.

What caught my attention however was the dial ... which is a fantasticly deep almost obsidian-black. The proportions of the lugs are better and it feels great on the wrist ... however my take is that it does not quite feel like a tool watch...it feels like a dress watch attempting to tool-up (but somehow failing). But thats just my wrist (and I was wearing a 39mm tool watch! Maybe its all the blingbling).

This was much better.

IMG_6095.jpg

One cant mess up the color 'black' in ceramic (or maybe one can).

IMG_6102.jpg
    Not much more to add with the Subs... if I were to choose a new one, this would probably be it.

And then I got surprised with the following.

IMG_5836.jpg

This to me felt more 'correct' than the Sub. Proportion-wise the lugs are reminiscent of vintage Rolexes (even more so than the new Sub), and the extra 2mm width and height make the difference IMHO for it feeling like a tool watch vs a dress-watch trying to tool-up. On my wrist it does not feel too big at all, infact it felt perfect (to me).

IMG_6104.jpg

Its clear to see that the dials are different types of black. Nice nod's to the mil-sub markings on the SD bezel as well as the single red line.

Then I got to try this on (also in 36mm).

IMG_6089.jpg
    This would probably be my pick of the bunch (in 36mm, like this). Reminds me very much of the watch that got me into watches as a kid.

IMG_6092.jpg
    So, am I on the list for any of the new 2020 Rolex's? Hell no! These were all available and were offered to me at a discount as they had so many in stock and they were not selling at all, and I declined. Not :D

I'm still waiting to become next custodian of that single owner vintage Sea-Dweller straight from the original owner (please Sir, if you read this, contact me, I promise I will take good care of your ol' gal for the next XX years!).

Feel free to photobomb this thread 'in the flesh'.

Edited Sep 29, 2020
  2. Fabrice M Sep 29, 2020

I would love to try the new 41mm sub. Had an SD but ended up selling it, it was too big.

3. chaw6125 Sep 29, 2020

So an AD actually had stock? I heard rumours that Rolex wanted to take a swipe at Richemont (watch finders owner) and were looking to stock each AD with all professional steel watches once a month.

4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 1, 2020

Not sure how else I would have taken these pictures now ;)

Try it. Keen to hear others in-hand impressions of that green.

Am I the only guy on OF who thus far was able to try any of these on? I do not have a single Rolex in my collection, nor have I 'built up a relationship' with any retailer regarding this brand...I just went in with my usual disposition and had a nice chat with a friendly young guy.

5. YY77 Oct 1, 2020

Was it actually for sale of just display stock?

I've seen a couple of pictures from other OF members so your not the only one, probably the most whom shared multiple pictures.:thumbsup:

6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 1, 2020

They were all spoken for apparently. But how it works is, if a customer has not yet paid, then they belong to the store, and then one can try them on. And they did have some in the display ...

7. YY77 Oct 1, 2020

Completely understandable the store is in the lead if the watch is not paid for in fully. My thought is, take the Starbucks for example, the waitinglist strategy will never make it possible for a walk-in to walk out with it.

8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 1, 2020

Sure. Was not my goal however, just wanted to try on some watches :D

Lonestar and YY77 like this.
  9. Eve Oct 1, 2020

This year i was considering a purchase of the 39mm Rolex Explorer as my very first Rolex. Reading about the crazy waitlists, i thought of just paying a visit to the local Rolex Boutiques and make my own impression.
    Walked into 2 different Stores, and both had one Explorer hidden away (maybe it was a coinsidence). One was already reserved, but the other one was ready to go. I also have absolutely no previous relationship with both stores.
    I really like the look of Explorer, but i wasnt so sure about the size on my wrist, so i walked away empty handed and purchased a Speedmaster FOIS instead.

Lonestar, TJH, Dash1 and 2 others like this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 1, 2020

Now thats what we like to hear on OF :D

Uniqez, Lonestar, TJH and 4 others like this.
  11. Eve Oct 1, 2020

Couldnt be happier with my choice! :thumbsup: ;)

TJH and eugeneandresson like this.
  12. dstfno Oct 1, 2020

It's the same green as the Hulk bezel. Bright in direct light but it gets that subdued look when peaking from under a cuff. I definitely can understand why not everyone's a fan. I would like one but I still didn't figure out it's because of the hype or I really like it :whistling:

13. TechFounder Oct 1, 2020

What city and country are you in?

14. slwoodster Oct 2, 2020

Green is my fav color but the hulk green dial and bezel were just too much. I prefer this black dial, green bezel.

However I did get to spend some time with a hulk through a watch swap with a friend. My wife liked it but by then it was too late to get one.

15. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 2, 2020

Its top-secret! I like to be able to walk into stores and try on watches...if I say then that goes away ;)

16. KiwiRob Oct 9, 2020

Rolex Heathrow Terminal 3 had a Sub on display a couple of years ago, I asked if it was for sale, it was, I pulled out my AMEX to buy it, a 45th birthday present to myself, they refused to sell it to me because I wasn't a known customer. I was told if I wanted to buy a Sub I should buy another model first, to get onto their customer list.

I'm not going to play that stupid game, when I buy my next watch, my 50th is fast approaching, I'll buy something else.

17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 9, 2020

I honestly can’t think of a more fitting watch then the Apollo 11 50th anniversary Speedy in Gold :thumbsup:

Nathan1967 and KiwiRob like this.
  18. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Oct 9, 2020

:D

eugeneandresson likes this.
  19. MtnMarine Oct 9, 2020

I love that red dial, my AD only had photos last time I was in. Thanks for sharing!

eugeneandresson likes this.
  20. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Oct 9, 2020

I managed to source the 41mm OP with silver dial. Very happy with it

B5ED883B-8EE2-4737-8BA8-0BFC3D508651.jpeg