Forums Latest Members
  1. Gurn May 10, 2018

I was wondering if it makes a difference when putting it back in the watch. Or if it doesn't matter if the stem is pushed in or pulled out.
    Mine is a Constellation 168-005
    Thanks.

2. wsfarrell May 10, 2018

Not 100% sure what you're asking, but if you're talking about separating crown from stem, you definitely want to have both out of the watch.

3. Gurn May 10, 2018

Pulling the crown and the stem out of the watch together. After pushing the release button. I just wonder if it's best to have it pushed in or out as if you're setting the time.

4. wsfarrell May 10, 2018

Got it. This makes a difference on some Seikos (the release button doesn't appear until the crown is pulled out), but not for Constellations or Speedmasters.

5. GuiltyBoomerang May 10, 2018

Have the stem fully in before pushing the button and release. You can run into problems where one of the setting wheels falls through if you have the stem out and then release it (which affects some watches, particularly Seikos.)

Gurn likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 11, 2018

I release the stem for most watches I work on with the stem in the winding position - pressed in against the watch case. Try not to press the button too far, so gently press while slightly pulling on the crown. You install it the same way - gently press on the button while pushing the crown in. The key here is to keep everything as aligned as you can, and not be fishing around with the stem, poking it in the case at all directions - sure fire way to dislodge something (yoke from the sliding pinion is a common one) and then the hands and dial would have to come off, as well as the calendar parts if equipped.

If in doubt, take it to a watchmaker.

Cheers, Al

Seaman, Fialetti and Gurn like this.
  7. Gurn May 11, 2018

Excellent info, thanks all.

8. Seaman May 11, 2018

Good to know..thank you.