Forums Latest Members

In need of a second opinion on this Seamaster De Ville

1. momentomori Oct 30, 2016

Good evening:

I've read the new members post as well as the guidelines; the last thing I want is to create an annoyance. With that out of the way, here it goes.

So, I've been hunting around eBay for a while and came across this ol' thing. Now, I do not want to judge the seller's command of English as an indicator of the watch's quality, but hell, even with my limited knowledge of Omegas, something seems too good to be true with this one. A possible redial? This, I think, may be the case.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Chttp://www.ebay.com/itm/182330201350?_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 30, 2016

I'd say it's above market value right now with that 1 bid. And I don't think it's a redial.

The over all condition just doesn't stir my soul. I think it's a $600 watch, max, myself. Nice movement but I'd prefer it in stainless steel or gold cap.

momentomori likes this.
  3. momentomori Oct 30, 2016

Thank you for the comment.

I was just skeptical after comparing the cursive to a couple of other similar pieces on here. Indeed, the price does seem to be a bit high. Perhaps I'll wait it out.

4. Edward53 Oct 31, 2016

If "John Alabaster Watch and Clock Shop in Vienna Va" told the seller that his watch has a 565 movement, it might not be wise to have a lot of confidence in John Alabaster Watch and Clock Shop .

hoipolloi likes this.
  5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 31, 2016

I think it has a 552 in it.

6. momentomori Oct 31, 2016

Well, here are some pictures he had sent over. You all would know better than I if this serial number corresponds to what he claims it has in it. And why may it not be a good idea to trust that shop? It seems to have a good reputation on Yelp. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Edward53 Oct 31, 2016

I am not questioning their integrity, merely their intelligence. Do a Google image search for Omega 565. Then look again at this watch. And if you can't spot the very basic mistake, you're probably not ready to buy a vintage watch.

Willem023 likes this.
  8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 31, 2016

Reference LL6287 should have a caliber 550.

Price is too high regardless.

9. momentomori Oct 31, 2016

Wow. I'm a moron. All have dates.

Thanks.

10. momentomori Oct 31, 2016

I really do mean it. Thank you for this information.

11. Edward53 Nov 1, 2016

That seems unlikely. We all had to start somewhere. But the shop should have known better.

You made a polite and sensible first post and everyone was happy to help. Stick around! This is the perfect place to learn.

JohnSteed likes this.
  12. momentomori Nov 5, 2016

Thank you for the kind words. I do not want to abuse everyone's knowledge here, but I did find another that has caught my interest, and I would like your opinion on the price. It seems reasonable, but would one have good reason to pay less? The dial, in particular, seem a bit shoddy. What do you all think? http://m.ebay.com/itm/131983933278Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

13. ulackfocus Nov 5, 2016

Trust me when I say you aren't abusing us. You asked your question politely, installed an avatar picture, and took the advice without getting crazy or defensive. I wish ALL the new members were like this.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Now start looking for better conditioned dials. These SMDV (Seamaster DeVille) watches from the mid 60's occasionally pop up in near mint condition.

momentomori likes this.
  14. Egatdagi Nov 5, 2016

The dial could be better and there's no movement pic but is looks like an honest example. I had bid on it earlier but I wouldn't go above $300 so I'm out. Some people like the patina (I do) so this will probably top out at $500 to $550 US. You would want to see the movement if you plan on spending more. Ask for proof of service because that can run a few hundred as well.

momentomori likes this.
  15. Edward53 Nov 5, 2016

The dial on the first one you posted was nice but as someone else said, the price was high. Gold-filled watches are not too popular, being neither one thing nor the other. Solid gold, gold cap or stainless steel are always better options. Just my opinion but I like steel for everyday wear and gold for dress. If you're happy with either a date or non-date, a really nice 552 or 562 will eventually come up. If you want De Ville on the dial, fine, but the ordinary Seamasters are the same watch. The 552 and 562 movements were not chronometer rated but they are still exceptionally good and if serviced and in good condition can usually be regulated to within a very few seconds per day. I've just had a 552 back from servicing that's within 2-3 seconds.

momentomori likes this.
  16. momentomori Nov 7, 2016

Thanks, folks! Yea, Edward, I totally agree with your opinion on the watch casing; eventually, a solid gold will be on the agenda (probably around tax return season, ha!). But, hey, I actually won the bid. (It topped out at $408.) Now, if the watch turns out to displease me, I am, of course, going to get back to the hunt. But like Egatdagi said, some people like a little pantina, and I happen to be one of them. Ha! Also--and it may just because I have an old Cadillac De Ville--there's something about that lettering under the "Seamaster" that, for me, completes the watch. Maybe it's the symmetry from top to bottom. Anyway, let's just hope the pictures match the actual watch. I am going to check with my guy here, so I hope it's not a waste of time.

Again, thank you for all the help and kind words.

Wish me luck.

Edward53 likes this.
  17. Edward53 Nov 8, 2016

It wasn't outrageously expensive and if you like it, that's what matters. The watch is fine but be sure to get it serviced as soon as you can as running it with dried-out parts and gungy old lubricant inside is bad for it. You could just shake it gently a few times to set it going for a few minutes and time the second hand against something else to see if it's wildly out. It'll probably be going anyway when you receive it as transit in the post will have been turning the rotor.