Forums Latest Members
  1. Norfolk Jan 21, 2015

Out walking down 47th Street in New York and sort of stumbled into one of the watch dealers there and came out with this. Given it a clean and it's come up lovely! Even has the red spot on the back - with original papers too. Very pleased. [​IMG]
    Forum thoughts on this one?

omegagmt, watchyouwant and toddmp like this.
  2. Hijak Jan 21, 2015

Don't know about the forum but I love mine...
    Wrist Shot, 6.JPG

watchyouwant, Varasc and toddmp like this.
  3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 22, 2015

That...that...DEMON!!!
    I love the style. In 2009 I bought one (new old stock) as a backup to the Broad Arrow caliber 3303 I had to send in for a fourth time.
    Bullet proof caliber 1861 my a$$...
    My "Replica" (horrible name for a genuine Omega) had to go back FIVE TIMES under warranty for repairs. When it seemed they (Omega in Secaucus NJ) finally got it working as it should, I quickly unloaded it.
    Now that I got that off my chest again, I'll say this: I liked it way better than a new 3570.50. I'm sure mine was the exception (lucky me). It's a great watch when it works!

4. Hijak Jan 22, 2015

Have had zero issues with mine! Sorry to hear your sad tale!:(

5. sulaco Jan 22, 2015

Really like it. But it never tends to stay with me ;)
    Maybe because it is not old enough.
    Sold one to a collegue of mine and he is still wearin it proudly :thumbsup:

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 22, 2015

Thanks.
    It's such a nice watch. Some hard -core "enthusiasts" panned it for Omega's failure to be more faithful to the original design. But taken on its own, I prefer the Replica to the current Speedy Pro.
    TBH, I think Omega's FOIS model looks a little better, but the Hesalite crystal on the Replica is better looking than the sapphire on the FOIS. And I prefer bracelets.
    Well, not in the market for either one, but the Replica is a definite winner (except for the name!)

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 22, 2015

Can I ask what the problem was with the watch that it needed to go back for?

Also, please don't confuse the robustness of the movement, with the competency (or lack of) with which it was put together and serviced. This family of movements are in fact very robust, but like anything they can be set-up incorrectly or have poor work done on them. In other words, it was likely not a design issue, but an execution issue.

Cheers, Al

dougiedude and Hijak like this.
  8. puddlep1rate Jan 22, 2015

Nice pickup! Congrats! :)

9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 22, 2015

Going off a shaky memory here, so...
    Trip one: Nesbit's in Seattle said a screw broke, they replaced it and sent it back. The chrono stopped short of 60-seconds.
    Trip two: Nesbit's again, said they fixed it. Got it back with the same problem.
    Trip three: to Nesbit's again, said it was fixed again. Got it back, chrono seconds sweep was jumpy (would stop, then catch up, then stop...). At least it registered the passing minute this time! Called Nesbit's and was told they returned it to me in working order, refused to work on it again, and recommended sending it to Secaucus.
    Trip four to Secaucus: fixed and sent back. Same jumpy sweep.
    Trip five to Secaucus: fixed and sent back, stated movement was magnetized. No jumpy sweep, chronograph functioned, and all seemed well.
    Immediately sold the watch, and put Nesbit's on the Never Again list. I swore off contemporary Omega but didn't put them on the Never Again list. I could revisit a newer Omega (the FOIS is enticing), but there's just so much interesting vintage stuff!!

10. Norfolk Jan 22, 2015

Well in the 22 hours I have had it it has not lost a second! Yippee. It wears well on the wrist too. Might have to go back to bracelet for my 1969 Speedie!

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 22, 2015

None of these sound like design issues mate. :)

Cheers, Al

12. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 22, 2015

Love the 1170 (if that's the one...).

13. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 22, 2015

Agreed.
    My sarcastic "bullet proof caliber 1861 my a$$..." comment came from a consumer's perspective, not a watchmaker's. Experiences like that one have a tendency to steer my choice to other options. Kinda like when you get a bad Ford automobile, and start buying other brands despite the hundreds of thousands of satisfied Ford owners in the world (yeah, that happened to me too).
    As I mentioned, I'm sure my Omega was the exception. Five efforts to fix the "backup" to another watch's fourth service trip was enough to sour me on the product.
    Now VINTAGE I have managed to separate from my experience with contemporary Omega. I would love to have another c.321, or a 1040/41/45 Lemania-based auto chronograph! Oddly, I also realize the odds of owning a functional contemporary Omega with a c.1861 are far greater than finding a well-sorted, functional vintage 321.

14. JohnSteed Jan 22, 2015

Excellent purchase!! Seems a really nice fit on your wrist.

47th? I'll start walking outside now. Maybe I'll be similarly inspired :)

15. yinzerniner Jan 22, 2015

Seriously, I thought 57th had a monopoly on impulse buys.
    But for real that's a very nice broad arrow example, even though I usually don't care for the reissues.

Edited Jan 22, 2015
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 22, 2015

Glad to know that you don't believe what you wrote initially. I wasn't really looking at it from a watchmaker's view, as there is plenty of evidence out there that the Lemania movements in these watches are quite robust. You don't need to be a watchmaker to have seen this demonstrated.

As you say, taking a sample size of one, and applying the result to a population is erroneous, no matter if it's watch movements, cars, or even people, but it's done every day. I think to a degree it's human nature.

Glad it has not soured you on the brand, because I see that often on watch forums.

Cheers, Al

Time Exposure likes this.
  17. timeismoney Jan 22, 2015

Love your impulse buy! :thumbsup: I see one of those in my future as well. Congrats!!

18. Norfolk Jan 23, 2015

47th is a bit tough for Omega particularly older models. Fine if you want Rolex or Panerai or Cartier or Breitling with diamond bezels however. I enjoy the hunt and banter with the dealers. There are vintage dealers in NY. Just not on 47.