Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 13, 2016

Last night, @timjohn and I caught up for a couple of drinks (2014 DOMAINE SIMHA SIMLA from Tassie, and Buffalo Trace Kentucky Bourbon), a couple of snails (he ate them, not me), and a couple of watches. It was actually the first time I've met up with someone from here, and it was lots of fun - although I am a bit more scared about the state of global politics than I was beforehand!

Unfortunately not many photos, as the lighting was crap!
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

While obviously the tri-compax that Tim brought was stunning, the surprise of the night for me was his Seiko. And unfortunately, I couldn't win him over to the Speedy cause!

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 13, 2016

Bit more about the Seiko ( and global politics ) now you have bought it up......

Had a few small GTG,s in travels in Europe over Christmas and was great to meet a few guys on here.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 13, 2016

The Seiko
    [​IMG]
    a tiatnium GS SBGR059
    Quoting from an earlier post from @timjohn
    " Love it -- best-finished watch I own. And it triggered a cascade of of love for late 60s 36,000bph Seikos -- most of which are from the 45 series, which beat all-comers at the last Neufchatel Chronometer competition."

It is superbly finished. The dial looks sandblasted and reminds me of the platinum globe master. The hour markers and hands are gorgeous.

The downside for me was it was quite thick - thicker than my Gemini IV!

ahartfie, Jones in LA and Giff2577 like this.
  4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 13, 2016

5. timjohn Apr 13, 2016

It was an excellent evening, and my first GTG as well. Politics and watches go surprisingly well together, but that may have just been the because the company was right.

And @CanberraOmega's Gemini IV has me re-thinking my ambivalence about modern speedies in a dangerously expensive way. And I was already converted, but now I'm probably going to mug the next person I see with an IWC cal 89.

The book was Hussein Haqqani's Pakistan: Between Mosque and Military. Not exactly a light read...

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 13, 2016