Forums Latest Members
  1. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Feb 20, 2017

Hello all,
    Hope you're all well. I was just wondering if anyone UK based knew the score when it came to import duty to the uk for a used watch?

Am I right in thinking it's 20%? Had a look on the hmrc site but could work it out to be honest...

Thanks in advance!

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 20, 2017

Where is the watch coming from?

3. Davidt Feb 20, 2017

I can't remember the exact percentages, but I think it's roughly 22% (or 20% plus a set amount on top). If using eBay's global shipping it's usually more.

I would say I get charged import duty about one watch in three.

hamster likes this.
  4. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Feb 20, 2017

According to available resources, it shows 2.5 import tax and 20% salestax from another country..

hamster likes this.
  5. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Feb 21, 2017

To be fair, I haven't actually ordered one! It's more that I sometimes look at the sales forum and wonder. I thought it might be useful info for others too!

6. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Feb 21, 2017

So that tax applies regardless of new/old/secondhand?

7. demollo Feb 21, 2017

As far as i know the duty fee for imported watches is marginal in EU. However you would need to pay the local VAT. In case of UK it is 20%. The clear answer: Yes you most probably would pay the 20% on top of the declared value of the package. I do not know how efficient the Customs Office is in UK and if they check all the packages comin in. Probably @DLT222 knows more about it.

hamster likes this.
  8. Davidt Feb 21, 2017

Yes, it applies to second hand/vintage goods. It's pot luck whether you have to pay it. Like I say, my 'hit' rate has been around 1 in 3 or 1 in 2.

If I'm buying from the US or elsewhere outside of the EU, I always factor in the 20odd% into my offer and assume I'll have to pay it. If it gets through without, it's a bonus.

Badwolf likes this.
  9. immustard A condiment that loves to chive to thyme songs Feb 21, 2017

hamster likes this.
  10. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 21, 2017

VAT is 20% and import tax is 6%

It all depends if rules have been bent if you have to pay it.

hamster likes this.
  11. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Feb 21, 2017

Cheers for all the info - good to have a ball park to factor in!

12. Lewismark Feb 22, 2017

I've just been charged £47 on a £150 watch so more like 30+%.
    Strange as I've had far more expensive watches from the US and wasn't charged a penny - luck of the draw I guess.

13. philh Feb 22, 2017

You pay import duty on the value of the watch +shipping costs +insurance and vat on those costs plus the duty if importing from a Non EU country and it is a gift above £39 or non gift £15.No duty is paid on items up to £135 and then duty kicks in at various rates.You can also be charged a handling rate by the collector of the fees ie £8 if it is delivered by Royal Mail

As a number of posters have stated it does appear to be pot luck but it is now more common to get charged than it was even 12m ago

hamster likes this.