Forums Latest Members

Import Duty on a Gift from a Fellow Collector

1. w154 May 4, 2019

A collector in Australia has been very kind and offered to send me some parts to help restore one of my watches back to original condition. I have offered to pay but he is being extremely generous and says he’s happy to help for free. If he goes ahead and posts these parts, does anyone know how important duty would be managed ? I mean, it’s neither my birthday or Christmas Day and I’m not related to the seller in any way. So whilst it is a gift, I can imagine some pretty heavy scepticism from the customs office when I go to pick it up. I am in the EU. Any ideas ? I don’t want to avoid duty if it’s due so the options probably are:

1) ask him to send it as a gift with correct declared value, or
    2) ask him to send it as goods with correct declared value (but then I’d have no evidence of paying for it).

Edited May 4, 2019
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 4, 2019

Get him to send it as a gift.

And inside, include a card or a letter:

"Dear w154,
    I was just cleaning out some old parts and found many I no longer need and they have no value to me.
    I know you are a collector too so I'd like you to have these in case you can use any of them.
    Cheers
    XXXXX."

3. cristos71 May 4, 2019

The problem is on the customs declaration a value has to be written down. The tax gestapo make no difference between goods and a gift when it comes to taxation - VAT will be levied on the declared value plus normally handling costs and if they're really on their game also on postal costs ( here in NL anyway :( )

My advice would be to keep the declared value as looooow as possible, after all if they're been given away they actually at this point in time have no value whatsoever ;)

4. w154 May 4, 2019

I’m in Germany and they’re super efficient and super strict here. If you declare a value they always want to see evidence of payment for it. I don’t mind paying duty, I’d rather that than any stress and interrogation ! It’s hard to guess value, but I’d have thought a couple of hundred euros would be in the right range.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 4, 2019

My advice is declare them as a gift. Which the sender probably will.

If customs ask what they are worth tell them what they are worth. Lower ballpark.

That’s it. If you have to pay a few dollars duty for a gift so be it.

Never be scared of telling the truth to customs. They deal with people all day, they can tell a porky pie a mile away. ( I can ;) )

KingCrouchy, kkt and w154 like this.
  6. w154 May 4, 2019

Well I go there a few times every year so they know me, and next week I’ve got to pay duty on just under $2000 so they hopefully realize I’m not a dodger. I’ll talk to the guy in OZ and he can declare gift and a realistic value.

7. ConElPueblo May 4, 2019

PayPal the other guy €10, have him put the receipt in the parcel.

When the part has arrived, he can refund the €10.

Matty01, w154, 5starChad and 4 others like this.
  8. 5starChad May 4, 2019

This really might be the most pain free method in the long run.

w154 likes this.
  9. Oku May 4, 2019

Values for Germany are as follows:
    up to 22 Euros, you don't need to pay anything.
    Between 22 and 150 Euros, you have to pay VAT (Mehrwertsteuer).
    Above 150 Euros, VAT and import taxes apply.
    Attention: Shipping is added to the value of the item!

So if the value is declared below 22 Euros, you are fine.
    As @JimInOz said, just ask the sender to write a short letter.
    Declaration should indicate used parts or spare parts.

KingCrouchy and w154 like this.