Forums Latest Members

I'm trying to track down a 20/18 strap in cognac or reddish brown

1. falcon4311 Sep 15, 2015

And I think I found one. The problem is it's 21mm, I like to live on the edge. How tough would it be to trim a slight amount off of each side to make it fit? I know that would kill the value of the strap but I plan on keeping it. I've never tried this before.

2. wsfarrell Sep 16, 2015

You could try shaving .5mm off each side near the hole with an extremely sharp blade, or touching it quickly to a belt grinder with around a 320 grit belt---finishing off with shoe polish in either case. I've done both with some success. Take a walk on the wild side.

noelekal likes this.
  3. proximal Sep 16, 2015

You might not have to trim it at all.

4. falcon4311 Sep 16, 2015

Really, the sanding sounds the safest, with a blade, one it's it, it cut. Proximal could be right. but the 20mm on my deployant is pretty tight, if I force it I can get about 1mm exposed.

5. happytapy Sep 16, 2015

I realised after writing this that you are probably looking for an Omega strap. But still........

Why not try Waccex Accessories. 20/18 in Cognac or Reddish Brown. Seems they have a few, as well as Rios. Really good straps and reasonably priced too.

Easy to slip with any form of modding on a 21mm, rotary tool or knife. I've tried before and failed.

But, you could try some of those very cheap square edged leather punches. I did a CF strap recently that did not have a tang slot. Worked really well with 2 taps of a small engineering hammer. Mind you, it was in the centre of the strap, so had good shouldering. Taking off 0.5mm each side is probably too small and after all, half a mil is probably easy to squeeze in between the lugs. Might make getting the spring bar in and out a bit of an effort though.

Good Luck.

Edited Sep 16, 2015
  6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 16, 2015

I got one of those alligator ones from Vietnam in that color. I like it but not enough to keep it. Let me get you a good pic and if you want it, we can discuss price. It's for the Omega deployant.

Tom

7. falcon4311 Sep 16, 2015

Thanks, I'll give them a shot.

8. falcon4311 Sep 16, 2015

I did the same thing, mine is on the way but I don't think it's going to work for me either.

9. tegee26 Sep 16, 2015

I recently purchased a couple of straps from Waccex for my Breitling and was very happy and pleasantly surprised at the quality. Especially for the money.....fwiw.

happytapy likes this.
  10. happytapy Sep 17, 2015

Yes, I did the same thing. I had not tried them until recently, and placed a lot of faith in them for a strap to fit my Jupiter Pilot. Could not be happier with the results. Quality is like something worth 5 x as much.

Of course, then it came time to put a new strap on my SMP 4, so I got a Rios for that from them, and I can definitely say they are way better IMO than anything else in that price range. Even my Hirsch CF!

11. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 17, 2015

12. falcon4311 Sep 17, 2015

Thanks Tom, I was looking for a deployant strap rather than a tang buckle.

13. yinzerniner Sep 17, 2015

I've purchased a bunch of straps from Waccex, and while they're very good for the price they are still a rung below the OEM Omega straps. The waccex "Bob" straps don't quite break in and mold to the wrist as well as the OEM Omega straps. One benefit is that the Nytech and Canvas deploy straps are supposed to be water resistant, and I've taken a Nytech strap mounted on my SMP in the water a few times with no ill effects. And another benefit is that Waccex / Bob Watch Bands have a good amount of color an stitching combinations.

I've heard the aftermarket Bellini and Rios straps made to Omega specifications are a rung ABOVE the OEM Omega straps in terms of leather and hides used, but they're also supposedly much thicker / stiffer at first and take a while to break in. Also, very limited color and stitching combinations to work with.

I'm pretty sure that WatchObsession had Hirsch make them a curved-ended Omega spec strap that's available "off the menu," so to say. Hirsch makes fantastic straps so I doubt the Omega fitting one is any different.

The OEM Omega Brown Barenia Leather and Calf strap is probably the only strap I'd recommend purchasing retail from Omega. It's only ~$120 and the fit, finish and comfort are top notch. All the other OEM Omega straps if purchased through retail, AD or Ofrei can get real expensive real quick.

Another avenue is to engage one of the many fantastic strap makers to do a custom one for you. As long as the stitching and material isn't too crazy it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Maybe a chromexcel or vintage leather to the OEM Omega specs.

14. falcon4311 Sep 17, 2015

Thanks, that's great information.

15. falcon4311 Sep 17, 2015

16. teamlam Sep 17, 2015

17. falcon4311 Sep 17, 2015

I'd fight ya back if it was my strap. This was sold a while ago, I really wish I had seen it.

18. yinzerniner Sep 18, 2015

Yeah, that was a really, really nice strap, especially the brown color which had a lot of cool variation and layering.

19. falcon4311 Sep 18, 2015

That's what I really liked about it.

20. BigZebra Sep 18, 2015

I just watched a youtube video that may have what you like. It is a DeBeer Ostrich Grain In Brown. It comes in 16,18,19, and 20 mm sizes. I normally don't go for faux finishes, but it is a calfskin leather with an embossed ostrich texture. The problem I have with watch strap websites is that their photos don't do them justice at all. But the youtube video shows off this strap in a much better forum. On the Holben website it looks very blah....but check out the video at here at time index 9: 47