Forums Latest Members

I'm thinking of swapping to Windows 10.

1. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Nov 24, 2015

Anyone here done it recently?
    Any advice on do's or don'ts.
    Thanks.

nurseford25 and PatrickJ like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 24, 2015

@Trev has an install of Win10 and found it to be very good, best Windows in years. Having said that, I'd still take a mac over it as I don't have the time to deal with MS related issues anymore. Definitely a big step up from Win8.x

PatrickJ likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 24, 2015

After being a Unix sysadmin and "expert" on various OSs in my younger/eager years, I'm now just a person who wants the "thing" do do "it".

I recently upgraded from W8 :mad: to W10 :rolleyes:

Haven't had any crashes and don't find it too hard to get used to. I hate the tile thing so hardly use it.

Best of luck with it.

Trev likes this.
  4. Trev The Architect Staff Member Nov 24, 2015

Yeah, Windows 10 is pretty decent. It's certainly a nice upgrade coming from any prior version. They've cleaned up a lot of the rough edges that have carried across releases.

5. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 24, 2015

Been testing Windows 10 in our production environment. Made the swap over from Windows 7.
    I support the claims that it seems to be one of the better implementations in a long while.
    A couple of annoying details, but mainly due to our very specific use of older functions in Windows.
    One example is that the Route and Net Use commands requires to be run as administrator (not only under an administrator account).

6. Kobus Nov 24, 2015

No problem with it.

Skip Edge though.

7. devnull Nov 24, 2015

If you are running Windows 8 the answer is hell yeah. From 7? Sure, why not?

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 24, 2015

I think 8 was Ballmer's last middle finger to the world before he left, good riddance to it

9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 24, 2015

@dennisthemenace, what OS are you coming from?

If any prior version of Windows, it's a no brainer. Windows 10 is great by comparison.

If Apple or something else, maybe... really a matter of taste at that point as OSes are all so different (and yet so much the same).

10. Dogmann Nov 24, 2015

@dennisthemenace,

By far the easiest upgrade on Windows ever everything just works as before actually that's not quite true as it all works better and faster now. All settings left in place and nothing to do but use it highly recommend upgrading as its a no brainer.

Marc

11. TheKomoman Nov 24, 2015

This exactly. Ran 8 for a couple of years on my home laptop and now 10. Here at work still in 7 Pro and it's starting to feel old and sluggish by comparison. But then so am I..

12. abrod520 Nov 24, 2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 is worth it, especially if it's still free (not sure if so, but mine was a few months ago)

Very easy to skip the mobile/tablet-style interfaces and make it work like a good old PC; I'm told the mobile/tablet stuff works well if you like that kind of stuff too.

13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Nov 24, 2015

Thanks a bunch guys, I'm going to bite the bullet and go for it now.
    If you don't hear from me soon you'll know it went tits up.

PatrickJ and abrod520 like this.
  14. TexasKevin Nov 24, 2015

Do you have anything special you do with the machine that may not have Windows 10 drivers developed yet? Our Remote Access software for work does not have software for 10 yet, and the workarounds are a big hassle. Personally, I upgraded my Win8 machines at home, my Win7 are supported until 2021, so I'll wait on that, I like Win7.

ICONO likes this.
  15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 24, 2015

Try and update firmware for the devices on your computer before the upgrade - upgraded my wife's PC to Win10 and had the ethernet port stop working. Turns out I needed the latest Win10 compatible firmware installed first for it. But otherwise it's a nice upgrade especially for the PC and laptop - not as significant an improvement for tablet.

16. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 24, 2015

Free upgrade from Win7 expires (at least over here) in some months.
    Win10 is also running faster on most platforms. As for VPN clients / Remote Access this is one of the possible pitfalls, but in general most of the big names have added support for Win10 quite some time ago.
    As pointed out you should run the "upgrade check" to see that your hardware is compatible, and as @MSNWatch points out, upgrade the firmware of your hardware components is very good advice!
    See you soon!
    :)

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 24, 2015

I would advise you do a complete back-up of your system first before the upgrade. Also as others stated, upgrade drivers, firmware, programs etc first as well.

18. Andreas Nov 24, 2015

Got the update from day 1, haven't had any issues, very happy with windows 10. I skip windows 8 since a hated them (had them at a pc at work).
    If you are coming from windows 8 do it now!!! :mad: :)
    I think Microsoft after many years finally got it right

19. Brench Nov 24, 2015

did it too. works well but sounds didnt work at first. took me an hour or so to fix.

20. Geo! Nov 24, 2015

Do you think I should get rid of XP then? :D it's still working just fine!