Forums Latest Members
  1. cookiecookie Jan 8, 2016

OMEGA De Ville Antique..
    Can you guys tell me about the watch?
    I've started collecting watches just recently and since I'm a broke university student, I was only able to buy cheap brands and "luxury" brands (armani)
    I thought to myself, 'I really can't call myself a watch enthusiast without proper education...
    So, I am thinking about buying this Omega watch for less than 200 $
    I know, for an omega watch it's waaay below the price it should be.
    Don't hate me for not appreciating the value of the Omega series; I'm only a beginner.
    I'm pretty sure the seller redialed and refurbished it but for me it's still the first omega.
    So I just wanted to ask you guys to rate it... if its fake just tell me straight out.
    Thanks guys.

s-l64.jpg s-l500 (1).jpg s-l500 (2).jpg s-l500 (3).jpg s-l500.jpg
  2. devnull Jan 8, 2016

It's a quartz watch. To me that's the kiss of death on just about all but a few select pieces, and I still don't like those.

Heck there is some vintage legit stuff in the $200 range. Look through watchrecon.com for some examples.

Francis_Assisi likes this.
  3. cookiecookie Jan 8, 2016

Yeah, I've heard that quartz watches get a lot of hate by watch enthusiasts... .
    but I also think it really depends on the person too...
    I mean, It's a omega for pete's sake
    Wish it was automatic myself, but they're all too heavily priced for the common college kid.
    thanks for the reply

4. devnull Jan 8, 2016

You are correct but here's the problem; eventually you'll become a watch enthusiast and learn to hate them as much as everybody else does :D

Be careful, there are some craptastic Omegas out there that are correctly priced, and that doesn't make them a bargain.

noelekal likes this.
  5. cookiecookie Jan 8, 2016

True. Once I am able to make money after college I would probably spending more on watches...
    I have a couple of automatics but they're just as crappy as the watches you can get at a local mall.

Could you give me an honest opinion about this one?
    I know it's not the best looking one but in terms of value?
    What are the prospects of it in the future? Will the value decrease or increase?
    Thanx x) I hope this isn't a craptastic omega

6. ConElPueblo Jan 8, 2016

Look at the dirty, brown colour around the dial, seems that a service is long overdue, and might point to worse issues. There are hundreds of quartz Omegas for sale online, and I would never (if I were to purchase one) buy anything but the best at the lowest price. They probably won't appreciate, so a premium for a well-kept example is hard to justify.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 8, 2016

Not worth very much at all, and if the movement is not in great shape and running well it'll be an economic write-off, that's the difficulty with these. While yes they're an Omega, you have to understand that in the 70s-80s quartz crisis era Omega made some of their worst watches.

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 8, 2016

9. cookiecookie Jan 8, 2016

I see. Yes I've researched into that era and found that the 70s -80s was when the cheap asian quartz watches were introduced; causing omega almost bankruptcy because of the lacking of competition.
    so I guess your advice for me would be no ? 178 $ for this would be detrimental for me ?

10. cookiecookie Jan 8, 2016

I see. I've just had a hard time finding omegas at this price (178$ is what he's asking for)
    and with your advice I am starting to become dubious about this upcoming purchase.
    Your advice would be a no, am i correct?

11. cookiecookie Jan 8, 2016

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 8, 2016

What's the most you can go as I might have something for you to play it foreword a bit..

image.jpeg image.jpeg

13. Maganator Jan 8, 2016

If you are a watch enthusiast in time you will learn to not like the watch in your post.

Take away the Omega logo and is there anything that appeals to you about the watch?

My strong advice to you is to save a little longer and buy something a little nicer - and not quartz. There is a nice watch above and some linked in this thread too. There are good deals to be had for s little more money and I would urge you to buy something better.

14. ConElPueblo Jan 8, 2016

Definetely. For pieces such as these, it's better to stay back and observe the market to get a feel for what they usually go for - for instance by observing the end prices on eBay auctions. What a piece is worth is often very different from what it has been put up for sale for.

15. lillatroll Jan 8, 2016

While the watch that the OP is listing is not going to set the watch collecting world on fire, Omega make some very nice quartz watches and they are top quality too. The megahertz range was way ahead of anything else at the time. Don t listen to all the quartz haters on here, there are some funky 70s models that are very cool looking and definitely worth considering.:)

16. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 8, 2016

The dial actually looks ok. For $200 there aren't going to be a lot of options - either a quartz Seamaster, Deville, Geneve etc... From the 60s or something with a 101X movement. If it makes you happy I'd say go for it, but I think you will find yourself in the future wanting to upgrade. :)

17. novina Jan 8, 2016

If you do decide to buy a quartz, do your due diligence to make sure it is working properly. As mentioned, there is not much collect value to most quartz watches and if you have to add money for any reason, it becomes a losing proposition. As for automatics, you maybe able to find one in good condition, but you must remember to add the price of a service to it. So a $250 ebay score turns out to be a $400-$500 daily wearer after the service. I have already purchased 2 Seamaster automatics, one has been serviced but not completely (still would like to do the 2 other things watchmaker recommended, crown and crystal) but money is tight, so the other one awaits repair funding approval). So I truly understand where you are coming from. Perhaps your first "good" watch may not be an Omega? Seiko 5's are automatics and pop up for more than decent pricing. There are members here that own them. Perhaps a stepping stone? Or as others have said, save up a little more and buy something better. Good luck.

mozartman likes this.
  18. nxw1969 Jan 8, 2016

Unless you particularly like this model, save your money and wait until you can afford something that you do like.

I have and I am sure, many other people on here have bought crappy watches in the past, due to a rush of blood to the head, then very quickly regretted it. I have never bought a watch to make money, but I have lost a few pounds, due to rash decisions and having to sell them on at a loss.
    For not a lot more money, something like the Seamaster above, or maybe a non pie pan vintage constellation would give you far more satisfaction, than the quartz you are looking at. There is a reason it is so cheap.

mozartman likes this.
  19. Francis_Assisi Jan 8, 2016

I reckon there are a few Zenith's and Girard Perreguax that will be in the 200- 300 range for some nice automatics. Look for 'original' pieces and go for a mechanical wind, no quarts please Watch recon as somebody else said above is a good place to start. Just go to your favourite 'brand' and look for some. At your budget look for nice original pieces that you can afford. Its nice to see someone who deals with automatic or mechanical watches at a budget than someone who buys a watch simply for the brand. There are great watches out their from the 60's that look the part and feel it too. As for the above watch, steer clear. The pictures of the seamaster's other members have posted is what you need. Try and buy original pieces.

mozartman likes this.
  20. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Jan 8, 2016

Starting out and giving myself a budget like yours (though I'm no longer a broke university student) I bought this 1950 automatic that runs well for $150. Close up and under bright light you can easily see the discolorations common for dials of this vintage, but they are barely noticeable from more than a few inches away. However, one thing experienced members here tell you that turns out to be absolutely right is that you need to budget another $150-$300 for servicing anything of this vintage unless you are buying a just-serviced watch with a good warranty. So my advice is 20151221_190722.jpg save up and think more in the $400 range.