Forums Latest Members

I'm on a plane headed to Vietnam...

1. trackpad Oct 17, 2018

Had so many good tips and sound guidance when I asked about what to do and see in Istanbul a few months back, thought I would just reach out here and welcome whatever advice might come. Here's the deal:

I'm arriving in Ho Chi Min City soon for a last minute trip with absolutely no set plans. I know it's the rainy season, but it just worked out in connection with a conference, so yeah,...we're going.

We have about 9 days to burn. We'd like to see some things of cultural and historical significance, but we'd also like to sit tight a few days some place and not see some things – and just enjoy some of the beautiful beaches if/when the rain stops. Yes, it will be raining most of the time.

So we'd like to be in an area where we have the option of seeing some things, but we also really need to recharge our batteries. I'd say a 70/30 mix of pure relaxation v. sightseeing feels about right.

Also, maybe relevant, we love food and like trying local dishes and stuff completely new to us.

---

The very rough plan now is to spend 2 or 3 days in HCMC, and then either take the train to Nha Trang and chill / take day trips from there – OR fly to Da Nang and see Hoi An...and then find a beach or an island in that area.

Third option could be to fly west of HCMC to the island of Phu Quoc...but we're reluctant to go all-in on the beach/resort aspect of this trip when it will mostly be raining. Did I mention the forecast calls for rain? :thumbsup:

I've heard great things about Hanoi and the coastal areas close to it, and would love to go – but it just feels too far when there are other interesting things closer, and when you cannot see it all in 9 days anyway.

All tips and tricks welcome! Thank you OF.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  2. dscoogs Oct 17, 2018

Last November we did a 15-day Vietnam tour covering various cities in the South/Central/North (tried to do a lot in very limited time - so no time for watches !):

South: HCMC, Vung Tau, My Tho/Ben Tre/Can Tho
    Central: Da Nang, Hue, Hoi An
    North: HaNoi, Ha Long Bay, Hoa Lu, Trang An

With a 9-day / 8-night schedule I would consider something like:

2 nights in HCMC - to visit Reunification Place, Notre Dame Cathedral, Old Post Office, Ben Thanh Market, Giac Lam + Thien Hau pagodas, Cho Lon, and exploring/walking around the Centro area inc. Saigon river

2 nights in Vung Tau - approx. 90 mins away from HCMC, visit Jesus Christ statue (climb 847 steps to reach the statue from the street if you'd like), visit former emperor white summer palace, various beaches + good food + relax

1 night in Da Nang - nice town and beaches/resorts, visit Bana Hills if you'd like and have time
    1 (or 2) night in Hoi An - explore old town, visit My Son (Cham ruins)
    2 nights in Hue - Perfume river, Thien Mu pagoda, ancient tombs, Imperial Citadel. If time allows visit Marble Mountain, Huyen Khong cave.

Visiting Hanoi and northern coastal areas would necessitate a few more days.

We used a private tour, and asked the tour guide for local food - there are so many flavors …

Have a great trip :)

trackpad likes this.
  3. ATWG Oct 17, 2018

Safe travels, buddy.

trackpad likes this.
  4. 1972Steve Oct 17, 2018

Please post pics. Safe travels.

trackpad likes this.
  5. Professor Oct 17, 2018

Oddly enough Vietnamese have the highest regard for the United states of any nation polled, with 78% of respondents expressing high regards.

6. calalum Oct 17, 2018

See some museums, go to the Cu Chi tunnels from HCMC, and then go to Hanoi. See uncle Ho if possible. Spend time meeting people and walking around, go to Ha Long bay, have a beer.

trackpad likes this.
  7. trackpad Oct 17, 2018

I really try to keep my priorities straight on these trips but this IS one block from my hotel. I'd actually have to go out of my way to avoid it. :whistling:

https://goo.gl/maps/J6rY3XThegH2

Fantastic tips. I've etched every one of them into a Google Map that I can reference as we bum around. Really cool to have them from someone who has been and enjoyed them.

How did you get from Vung Tau to Da Nang? I assume on a flight from HCMC. Do you have the name/WhatsApp or company name of a good local tour operator in the Da Nang area?

Thanks so much – super helpful.

8. trackpad Oct 17, 2018

Interesting. And there are probably a lot of reasons for this. Glad I watched Ken Burns' Vietnam a few months ago...some of those reasons may have been explained. Fascinating country and history.

9. dscoogs Oct 17, 2018

What will be, will be …

Yes we flew to Da Nang from HCMC on Vietnam Airlines, took a bit over an hour. We used for the whole tours - http://www.privateasiatours.com/ - they have separate tour guides for each region (HCMC, Da Nang/Hoi An, Hanoi) - and we were generally satisfied.

trackpad likes this.
  10. trackpad Oct 18, 2018

For anyone interested, I’m also looking at http://getyourguide.com/ ...especially for a food tour in HCMC. And using http://rome2rio.com/ to check possible routes.

@dscoogs You didn’t mention the Cu Chi tunnels...just wondering if you skipped it or would recommend skipping.

11. dscoogs Oct 18, 2018

Due to time constraints, we decided to skip the Cu Chi Tunnels to have more time to explore Can Tho/My Tho/Ben Tre.

Quick note: traffic congestion is very, very bad in HCMC (and Hanoi for that matter) - so discuss / plan ahead with your tour guide to set realistic expectations and reduce potential frustration :(

trackpad likes this.