Forums Latest Members

I'm not sure how to write this?

1. imexian Dec 27, 2014

I've been looking at all the posting about why peeps want different watches, op, iwc, Rolex, speedys etc, I've not got many, I've sold my Oris and now have only Speedmasters. When I wear any of them there seems to be something about the watch that gives me a buzz?? Not sure how to explain? I was toying with the idea of purchasing a Rolex or IWC. I'm not a watch expert, just like something nice to wear, the speedy has a certain something ?? The history ? The age? (Timeless?). The hesalite crystal? (Seems different). It's hard to put my finger on it? Now I've got that 321c on as well it feels even better!! It's the money I've spent that sometimes I get the slight gilt pangs? Like I should have bought something more useful for my family?? We are not rolling in money but comfortable so what do you do?
    Good thing is I have a great Mrs who does not mind to much.
    Anyone feel the same ish??
    Regards
    Ian

Alpha likes this.
  2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 27, 2014

Anyone feel the same ish??

Oh! Yes

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 27, 2014

Uh, hell yeah!

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 27, 2014

Yes, and grateful for my wife understanding as well. It's a Hobby, just set long term goals, make a wish list and slowly get the watches you want.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 27, 2014

Watch this video from 3:16 onwards and the CEO of IWC will sum up why I don't buy IWC :)

And if you laugh when he gets to customers aspiring to be Tom Cruise you have to own up

6. imexian Dec 27, 2014

I feel sick!!! Lol!!

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 27, 2014

I don't like him, I still like IWC. This is just marketing and it's honest. If you don't think people want to identify with NASA or Astronauts or James Bond or Daniel Craig when seeking Omega, or the millions Omega spends trying to get people to identify with those characters through their brand then you're being a bit Naive.

Togri v. 2.0 and rhetoric like this.
  8. ulackfocus Dec 27, 2014

Then don't buy Rolex either! ..... or most every other brand. Some are MUCH worse - like Jonny Sonbul. :p

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 27, 2014

But you have to understand that lecture is about marketing and PR, not watch making. And it's not bad, and it's not unlike any other brand would approach from Krug, to Coca Cola, from Omega to Swatch. BY THE WAY, Peter Lindberg got a sick gold Portofino Chronograph as a present for that shoot. Beautiful watch.

10. imexian Dec 27, 2014

But if I went in for all that bull I would look for a new watch, the new speedys are cheaper than the old ones, not sure where this thread is gong...it's not the new stuff I like though, I'm sick of the computer designed and Chinese made stuff..

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 27, 2014

Back on topic, I agree, something about finding a nice piece and obsessing over it when it's new. My wife laughed the first time I pulled out a loupe at home to get up close to a watch. She doesn't mind, she just thinks it's a bit obsessive compulsive - which it is to be fair to her. ;)

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 27, 2014

Nice Hotel indeed.
    _W5J2221.jpg

Togri v. 2.0 and Nobel Prize like this.
  13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 27, 2014

You have to admit Jonny Sonbul has heredity on his side being the Son of Time an' all. You know I'm a fan!

14. HogWldFLTR Dec 27, 2014

I don't like or dislike him; I do think the presentation is engaging and the photo shoot of Portofino a great throwback to older times. Would it make me buy an IWC; likely not although there are those that love them.

Edited Dec 29, 2014
  15. ricardorio Dec 27, 2014

Please !!! Someone can explain to this man: Cousteau developed with COMEX the OMEGA Ploprof ...

Certenly he used Blancpain, Rolex, OMega and Doxa, but IWC I dont have warranty of that.

Cousteau + IWC, I can´t found sources who confim this relationships in the real field of marine investigation

It is no problem like marketing estrategy. Is no ok relations that ever existed.

If Im wrong, Sorry in advance, but for me is just only marketing . . .

Als 27 likes this.
  16. repoman Dec 28, 2014

The one thing Georges said that resonated with me was "emotion".... watches for me are really about my emotional response, how they make me feel. There are many ways to elicit an emotional response, everyone is different - it may be the visual beauty of the piece, the mechanical operation of a complex movement, the attachment the watch has to a certain sport or activity, and yes, sometimes about an attachment to people you admire, or want to be like. Omega hits many of my emotional buttons (space, material science and engineering, sports), it also ties in with my family history, and I also get a very positive emotional benefit through the retail experience which Omega really understands and optimizes for.

watchme likes this.