Forums Latest Auctions Members

I'm going to have to start hanging out in the thrift shops

1. gatorcpa

gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 8, 2019

If you understood the mission of Goodwill, you might not say that. All large charities are “big business” to a certain extent, because they provide services to the public that have to be funded somehow.

Since Goodwills are run locally, the management of each chapter is going to be different. Some will be run more efficient than others and some will provide different occupational therapy services to their clients.

I personally think it is unfair to paint them all as “hiding behind philanthropy”.

Go visit, or better yet, volunteer at your local chapter of Goodwill or Salvation Army and see if you think they help your community.
    gatorcpa

2. ahsposo

ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 8, 2019

So it's about entomologists with hemorrhoids?

3. JwRosenthal

JwRosenthal Oct 8, 2019

I agree and my statement was harsh, they do much for community education and job training, I have a neighbor who worked as a VP for them and he is one of the most caring and conscientious people I know- devoted his life to service of the underprivileged.

I guess I can’t begrudge any company/ charity from maximizing the sales potential of their inventory, regardless of if they got it for free or not. I guess as a lifelong picker I feel burned that they are pre-picking before I pick. But that’s not on them.

4. Canuck

Canuck Oct 8, 2019

I owned a genuine Paul Newman Daytona about 30 years ago. I made the owner an offer of $ 2,400.00 (Cdn.), but he said he wanted to buy a $ 2,500.00 guitar, so he asked for $2,500.00. I bought it, and sold it a few months later for $ 4,800.00. I was quite pleased with a $ 2,300.00 profit! ::screwloose:: Neither he nor I knew what it was! ::facepalm2::

5. Archer

Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 8, 2019

If you want to encourage an article on a business that fits your description much better than Goodwill does, consider...Rolex...

JwRosenthal likes this.
  6. gefmey

gefmey Oct 8, 2019

I guess they're a little behind the times here in AZ

7. vinny

vinny Oct 8, 2019

Could've been a lot worse ;-)

8. bimmernerd

bimmernerd Oct 8, 2019

I guess I know what I'm doing this afternoon.

*Looks up closest Goodwill to my house*

9. Walrus

Walrus Oct 8, 2019

I did some volunteer work for goodwill they seem very decent. In my area they run drug rehabs, homeless shelters, emergency help if your house burns down, contact military personnel if family needs to get messages to them and a number of other services. People do complain about pay at the top levels but a lot of work goes into running a country wide (and more) non profit. I’m sure some of these VP’s could make more in the for profit world. If a charity gives at least 80 percent to a charity I consider it alright. I bet these occasional watch and art finds are good for business. I’ve tried it out at a few of these types of stores never had any luck.

gatorcpa likes this.