Forums Latest Members

I'm feeling the Navitimer bug...

1. alam Sep 11, 2017

..now considering an A23322 and reading reviews like this one to learn more about the model -- by the way, I don't like the idea of not having a quick set date but as of now, this is not a deal breaker. Do we have Navitimer lovers or haters around here willing to push/advise me into either direction? ..guess I don't have a watch in my box with a crazy/busy/obnoxious dial :p

thoughts? :coffee:

IMG_4970.jpg
    trackpad and Longbow like this.
  2. Longbow Sep 11, 2017

If you are old enough to remember using a slide rule, your eyesight will probably be too shot to be able to use this one....or is there a free magnifying glass in the box?

I remember the Navitimer being my must have watch years ago. By the time I could afford one I couldn't read a damned thing on it. Which is why I opted for this:-
    https://omegaforums.net/attachments/headwind-jpg.229624/
    Beautiful dial in a monster case....also had to go :(.

Time plays cruel tricks.

Edited Sep 11, 2017
    Vitezi and alam like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 11, 2017

You know... there is a Lemania powered no date Navitimer out there...:whistling:

Kmart, Nathan1967, alam and 1 other person like this.
  4. Timmert Sep 11, 2017

My only watch at this time is a Navitimer 01. Absolutely love it!
    I still smile when I pick it up in the morning after two years of daily use.
    IMG_1614.JPG

5. WatchVaultNYC Sep 11, 2017

Aside from the date, any reason to choose this instead of say an 806?

6. duc Sep 11, 2017

While the advice is being prepared, can the more a-hem "esteemed / elderly" who may wear reading glasses comment on the legibility of the dial as well? @Longbow , thanks for firing off the first round.

Longbow likes this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 11, 2017

WatchVaultNYC, alam and oddboy like this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 12, 2017

Know you moved lately but, Are you moving to Italy or Greece soon :whistling: (most common nationalitys I see wearing them at the airport)

Mrs standy has a Brietling and has had me try one of these on a few times on holidays at duty free stores, but the wear size always turns me off and I have big wrists

9. Bienne2998 Sep 12, 2017

Modern Navitimer
    I like Navitimers quite much. If it has to be modern, I would prefer the B01 vs. the ones with Valjoux 7750 or even the Lemania powered one. The B01 is quite an impressive in-house movement and you can get them on the seconday market for quite affordable prices (for in-house movement-chronographs).

Well, who uses the slide rule really - but hey, who uses the tachy or the telemeter or the pulsometer or the decimal scale on the Speedsters really? But it looks cool in my eyes (I know, a lot of people think, the dial is too busy).

Concerning legibility: My eyesight is getting worse, but I do not have problems reading the modern Navitimer (i mean reading time and chronograph - not the slide rule...)

So - this is a wristshot of a B01 (it is a piece of the limited first issue - with red date - a reminiscence to the first automatic Navitimers in 69 - see 8806 below).

B01.jpg

Vintage - 806 the aviation Chronograph of the sixties
    But why not go vintage - 806 are very nice and quite affordable compared to other tool watches of the area?
    And they have a cool size (41mm), they have reversed panda dials (wich are hip at the moment) and they are powered by a column wheel chronograph movement (Venus 178).

I really like them:
    806 nice.jpg

or this one
    Top Kopie.jpg

Cosmonaute - it got a little bit of Space history too
    or maybe even a cosmonaute - So the Navitimers also have space heritage (Scott Carpenter):

Top.jpg

Vintage & automatic & history - 8806
    But if you decide it has to be vintage automatic with date - here we go - this is a 8806 with calibre 12 (the successor of calibre 11 - one of the first automatic chronographs - we all know the story of the race in 1969...). I like this one quite a lot - the crown on the "wrong side" adds quite to is charm.

IMG_3149 Kopie.jpg

IMG_1495 Kopie.jpg

Paulomega, khanmu, FOISUAE and 15 others like this.
  10. ac106 Sep 12, 2017

I always sorta liked navitimers but never enough to really consider pulling the trigger but that 8806 makes me feel funny all over and now I have to have one. It is sort of the perfect watch for me.The size is right. I love reverse pandas. I am absolutely crazy about dual register chronos with the date at 6. I mean, seriously, my wife is gonna be pissed!

oddboy likes this.
  11. alam Sep 12, 2017

yeah, that's my story too! :p

Just what we all need...enabling and influencing members! :) hey! that one is about an hour drive from where I now find myself! :thumbsup:

definitely visiting those two countries to enjoy their food and wine....but no intentions to move there..;)

Yeah! a Navitimer lover! just what I need! a motivator with some awesome examples to keep me in track towards finding one! Dibs on the 806! ;)

Yeah, I'm familiar with the B01 as I own this one

amen! ::rimshot::

@Bienne2998 , great looking watches! ::love:: thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Bienne2998 and Longbow like this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 12, 2017

money.JPG

Re the slide rule... on current post 1984 Navitimers that no longer carry the e6b slide rule you can actually use them to figure out tips and other basic math. The Sinn and original 78 and earlier Navitimers alas can't as they are true aviation slide rules or im to dumb to figure it out.

RE: ownership of a Sinn Navitimer... blessing and a curse. When you do run into a 01 or a23322 owner you do feel like a second runner, with all of the Brietling marketing and relatively unknown outside of WIS of Sinn watches esp in the US you end up feeling you have to defend the watch as not being a clone and it being a real boy. Hmm perhaps I should dub the Lemania powered one the Pinocchio as it is a real boy, but lies a little with its vintage colored tritium but white tritium hands... Which I will admit is a little glaring once you notice it, but after review many 806's seem to match up, as for some reason the hands on those vintage pieces seem very white with aged lume on the dial... I wonder if it is a service hands issue or the originals used different lume on the dial and hands during some periods of production.

On the other hand it gets more attention from WIS then any other piece I own, and they love the story, which I will admit I like telling ;). You also get a newer piece with less of the issues of a vintage watch, which is also a plus.

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 12, 2017

14. WatchVaultNYC Sep 13, 2017

I will go all-in and recommend a Chronomat -wearable 48mm baby!

[​IMG]

Rodmar and alam like this.
  15. Bienne2998 Sep 13, 2017

if 48 is too big go with one of these 808s (only 37mm):
    Top.jpg Top.jpg

16. alam Dec 2, 2017

ok, the decision on which model to be is done! the source was identified, dialog is on going and hopefully I'll have something nice under the tree this year! :)

Foo2rama likes this.
  17. sxl2004 Dec 2, 2017

What will it be?
    Routing for an 1960’s 806!
    Or maybe an 1980, 903?

::popcorn::

18. henrikaa Dec 3, 2017

I can only recommend going for one of the vintage pieces (806, 809). They are still affordable compared to other vintage chronos and you have all the small subtleties providing a great basis for a new collection.

19. Rodmar Dec 7, 2017

Just saw this thread! Always wanted a Navi, and took me time to find the right one for the right price but I finally did. Mine has a blue dial and white subs and looks great on a bracelet. But now I'm thinking I need a leather strap after seeing some of the pictures here!

IMG_3125.JPG IMG_3171.JPG IMG_4068.JPG

alam likes this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 7, 2017

Like this strap?
    D78FC5F9-0AC6-40E0-A9E1-36330D58128A.jpeg

Rodmar likes this.