Forums Latest Members

I'm curious to know more about this particular watch

1. missm Mar 4, 2014

I have recently purchased via estate sale a 1952 Omega Wadsworth watch. I'm curious to know about the collection and why it's in a Wadsworth case. I was able to find it in the omega database and the store in Chicago was able to verify it's authenticity. It's legit which is great, however I want to know about the history of the watch - if there is any- and possibly the value on it. Why is it a US Collection? Can't really put a value on a rare piece but I know my fiance' will want to know all the info on it b/c he likes history. Any information will help and be greatly appreciated...
    Here are the specs:
    Movement Type: Automatic (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 354
    Created in 1952
    17 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand

Case: Gold-filled
    Case back: Press-in
    Dial: Not available
    Crystal: Hesalite

il_570xN_534186912_lphj.jpg il_570xN_534277187_8vfu.jpg
  2. missm Mar 4, 2014

Any history you have on the companies would be greatly appreciated too.

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 4, 2014

Hi MissM, Welcome to the forum!

There were import/export issues and cost advantages to having the parts shipped and then cased in different locations around the world.
    The Wadsworth is quite common and very nice, but not as valuable to a collector as the Swiss cased examples.
    I own a similar watch and it is a fine daily wearer with a proper service but probably not particularly rare.

We really need better close-ups of the dial, movement and the inside caseback to determine rarity and value.

Most were a gold filled case and with a clean, working movement and a nice original dial, would be worth $5-600ish, if the dial has been repainted (probably has) you can cut this value in half. If it's a 14k case, add a couple of hundred to the values.

These are all guesses until we see some details.

Regarding history, visit the Omega website http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage and for the case http://mb.nawcc.org/showwiki.php?title=Wadsworth_Watch_Case_Co

4. missm Mar 4, 2014

How do I open up the back, if that's the case?

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 4, 2014

,I assumed that since the back was off in your original post, that you could remove it again.
    If this is not the case, it requires a caseback tool and someone experienced to prevent damage. Many reputable jewelers will do this for you and give you an estimate for a cleaning and oiling.
    Mechanical watches require periodic servicing.

I just noticed that you mentioned it's a gold-filled case, so disregard my ramblings about 14k.

6. missm Mar 4, 2014

I understand the fact it's not "rare"...granted for me I've never had anything let alone buy anything that's an Omega.
    It's a nice watch for someone just starting out right? I plan to give this to my fiance' on our wedding day. He really wants the moon watch by Omega....not sure what the actual name for it is, but I really wasn't ready to drop $3 to $5k on a watch. Perhaps later in life, but I wanted him to have something of significance of Omega history. Probably a nice historical piece if it's not really "worth" anything in terms of collectors value.

But the most info I can get on it would be awesome. I'm heading out to get it looked at and I'll post pics of the back asap.

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 4, 2014

MissM, it's a very nice watch.
    I have an almost identical one that is my favorite day-in, day-out wearer.
    The fact that it is not particularly valuable, rare or historical can be a plus because instead of sitting in a drawer or safe, he'll wear it with pride.
    If anything breaks, it can probably be fixed without shedding any tears or big loss in value.
    It has made it 60 years, looks great and like you two, with a little work and a lot of love, it will last another 60.

Moon watch can mean different things, the actual model worn on the moon, similar vintage models identifying with the moon-landing, or the modern commemorative pieces. You are in the $2k-$10k+ neighborhood now, so we need to know exactly which one he wants.

Buy him this one ! You don't need no fancy pants weddin' dress!

http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...k-side-of-the-moon?watchHubRef=31192445101003

8. missm Mar 4, 2014

Oh yes I do!!!! haha. Actually if I bought him that, we wouldn't have a wedding. Hello, courthouse.lol

Ok so these are the best pics I could get....
    the back reads the following:
    Wadsworth 14k Gold Filled
    Omega Watch Co (this is inside the triangle)
    G6213
    T9453627
    I can't make out what's underneath the number....looks like a date maybe.

The inside:
    Omega Watch Co
    Swiss
    Seventeen 17 Jewels
    11509920 < I don't know what this number is.

If there isn't enough info here let me know, It needs to be cleaned so I'll see about getting another picture.

NOTE: I have a crappy camera and there was horrible lighting.

0.jpg IMG_20140304_120307044_HDR.jpg IMG_20140304_120158937.jpg IMG_20140304_120207534.jpg IMG_20140304_120243133.jpg
  9. missm Mar 4, 2014

bahaha i don't even know why i posted the pic of the face. flippin' too small. Oh well.lol

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 4, 2014

Well, your pictures are good....... but the news is bad.

I mentioned a clean movement above and I'm afraid that one looks terrible.
    It looks like moisture damage and corrosion.
    I'm not a watchmaker (We have several on this site),I can be wrong, but I am worried about this being salvageable at a reasonable cost. Hopefully, one of them will join in, but I'm afraid I already know what they are going to say.

I'm sorry, I hope you didn't invest too much.

The 11509920 number is a serial # that dates this to the late 1940's.

11. missm Mar 4, 2014

I did ask the person who opened and they said it looks like dirt but they did give me a price on cleaning so that's good and it wasn't too bad. Even if it's working, it might not be salvageable?

Is this not something I should gift to my fiance?

12. missm Mar 4, 2014

Ohhhh I see what you mean! Yeah when they opened it they weren't too thrilled but it is cleanable.

13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 4, 2014

I mentioned I'm not a watchmaker and pictures don't always tell the story.
    If they saw it up close and in person and said it was cleanable, that is good news.
    I've seen watchmakers do miracles. I hope this is an experienced, reputable place of business.
    Ask for a warranty or guarantee!

Good Luck To You

14. missm Mar 4, 2014

As a knowledgeable person tho, would you still recommend I gift this to my fiance? Is it a good gift to give?

But please to accept my thanks for all the information you did give me. Based off the serial# it's from the late 40's. I don't know much about the us collections of 40's-50's watches that were in circulation back then. Also, what does gold-filled mean?

15. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 4, 2014

Gold filled is like gold plated, but a little thicker. It is not gold all the way through. This means as the watch is worn, there's a chance the gold will wear off and show the brass underneath (quite unsightly I might add!)