Illinois Bunn Special "Fat Boy" Pocket Watch Railroad

Hi OF,

I just listed this on The Bay and thought I should offer it here as well, at a much better price of course! A bit different from the normal offerings, not sure if there will be any interest on OF but just in case...

Ebay = $750 (OBO)
OF = $600 (bigger discount than just ebay fees to keep it in the OF family if possible)

Here we have an Illinois Bunn Special 21 Jewel Railroad Pocket Watch with the 60 Hour Motor Barrel, an ultra-rare Fat Boy dial and correct kite hands. There were less than 1000 of these produced in this rare combination. The watch, case and dial are in great collector-grade condition, you will not find many (any?) like this at all.

The Movement:
This is a Type III 21 Jewel Bunn Special movement, correct serial number range for a Fat Boy. This is an official "Railroad Grade" movement. Movement is in great shape, shiny, most paint intact, no bad scrapes or deep scratches. Movement is running strong, keeping time well, and it looks great while doing it. Movement dates from approx 1928. No service history, service marks inside caseback are from 1941 and 1961. (Edit to add: The movement type itself is not rare, lots of Type 3 movements out there, think of it as an "Ultraman" type in that it is a rare combination of an existing movement type matched with hard to find dial/handset.)

The Dial:
The rare, rare Fat Boy porcelain dial is in fantastic condition. The Fat Boy is identified by the extra fat numbers and arrows-out markers at all positions including the minutes track. No other Bunn Special dial has arrows for the minute track markers. The dial has all paint, no hairlines that I can find, no enamel or markers missing, just one very small chip at the very edge of the dial which is hidden 100% by the bezel. I have blown the flaw up to huge proportions in the picture below, it is about 2mm long and 0.5mm wide... very small and on the very edge only but it is there.

The Hands:
An essential part of the Fat Boy are the hands. Different than the "normal" 60 hour hands, these are blued "Kite Style" hands similar to those on the Sangamo Special watches from Illinois. These, again, are in great shape. Fully blued, no corrosion or missing blue, good tips to the hands, no bad bending etc. Even the second hand is in great shape, they often have the most issues.

The Case:
Fat Boy's should come in a 10k gold filled marked Bunn Special Case known as the Model 1 like this one does. This case is in as good of shape as the rest of the watch. Bow holds strong to all positions, no brass wear through, signs of the original brushing are intact. One pinprick size indentation on the rear of the case is the only flaw I can find. Its one of those you find when reflecting the light off the caseback, not an obvious dent and I couldnt get it to show up on a photo. Again very small but I point out any flaw I see no matter how small or easy for a potential buyer to overlook.

I think that is about it. I try very hard to provide a very thorough description and clear photos but if I missed anything or if you have more questions please ask. I will respond with as much detail as I can provide and more pictures as needed.

Shipping is included for USA and will be Priority Mail small flat rate box to get this to you as quickly and economically as possible. International available, cost depending on country so contact me if interested. Paypal or Zelle are accepted payment methods. I always like Friends and Family paypal of course but am also open to Goods & Services payments from established members or members that can provide solid references from WUS or similar.

I have references here on OF as buyer and seller (of both wrist and pocket watches) and 20yrs of feedback on ebay under seller ID dperie.

As always, thanks to OF for the space and I always like to thank all members who read all the way to the end of my lengthy posts....brevity is not my gift! 😉 I appreciate your interest and that you took the time to soak in my details of a watch I love, but just sits in a box in a drawer getting no attention.

Oh, trades.... always need another set of 516 end links, Speedmaster bracelets and other accessories, cool Omega trinkets etc, just feel free to make offers from one collector to another.
Edited:

Decent price for a superb watch. It is generally conceded that a 5 million serial number on an Illinois indicates after the Hamilton buy out. One more thing (if I may be so bold), the dial is not porcelain (an earthenware material), but vitreous enamel (glass).

Lovely iconic pocket watch
I have one in my collection also with the 60 hour motor barrel. Mine is in green gold filled and was just serviced by my watch man
Good Luck with your sale. Someone will be getting a fabulous pocket watch