Forums Latest Members
  1. Risto Dec 10, 2018

What would happen?
    I mean likely this would not happen in a real world with any old Speedmasters.
    But, let's just say you are having an argument with your spouse... and it happens :)

Would Omega actually perform a full service or not?
    If a customer is not aware of the value of the watch, would Omega turn it into a modern one?
    I'm sure they would ask the owner's permission, but still...

Just saw a video of an Omega Service where they polished the case and replaced hands and dial.
    Made me cringe.

2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 10, 2018

What do you mean? You have an argument with your spouse about sending your 2915 to Omega for a service, knowing what you know, and she wins the argument (how?), and your 2915 goes off to Bienne for a service???

:confused:

I wouldn't send any vintage watch to Omega '.' .

3. Risto Dec 10, 2018

No, the argument does not matter :) The revenge is Bienne.

4. ConElPueblo Dec 10, 2018

What work Omega does during a service is already stated by them - if the owner wants something else, he is the one who has to ask if Omega will do so, not the other way around.

5. Risto Dec 10, 2018

OK, so if the owner would state that he wants the dial and the hands replaced, the case and case back polished, new bezel and crown and pushers, Omega would do that without thinking. I'd hope they would suggest owner to buy a new model then :)

6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 10, 2018

Despite some statements to the contrary from Omega, the accepted understanding is that Omega will do whatever they deem necessary to bring the watch up to a condition where they can offer a warranty on the work. If the owner is silent on what is to be done or assumes that they will preserve the aged condition of the watch, then they will be extremely disappointed. Even if the owners give extremely detailed instructions about what is and is not to be done, if that does not align with what Omega's servicing processes and procedures dictate, then they may well refuse to service the watch at all.

Omega, in the above example, and with the caveat that none of the instructions conflict with Omega's policies, will probably go ahead and do as instructed as the replacement parts will be more current than the old parts.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  7. agee Dec 10, 2018

If service is done by Omega and parts changed, will the replaced parts be returned along with the watch?

8. kelev_ra Dec 10, 2018

Someone would pay a lot to get a "new" watch...
    And that's okay as that is what you get when you turn your watch in for a full service. If you want something else you gotta tell...
    Exactly the same problem I do have with my matte dial rolex atm...

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 10, 2018

Yep.

All thrown in a little bag with no care in the world for value.( dial, pushers, hands the lot )

Like below pic from web
    image.jpeg

10. Risto Dec 10, 2018

Does Omega still have old movement parts?

11. kelev_ra Dec 10, 2018

Depends.

12. Risto Dec 10, 2018

Perhaps with Speedmaster, this franken-style upgrade could happen then.
    But surely they cannot update 60s Constellations etc watches that way. They have some new crowns that might work, not no original dials, hands, and cases.

13. KingCrouchy Dec 10, 2018

From experience, you can state to Omega to not touch the dial and the hands and just take care of the mouvement. The result is, they still change them and throw those parts in a plastic bag. And if you are unlucky, the hands are broken afterwards, and you lose any love you had for your vintage piece. No independant watchmaker could save it and I had to sell the watch. Please never send any watch to Omega, they couldn't care less about it.

marco and kelev_ra like this.
  14. agee Dec 10, 2018

Cousins UK has some Omega parts

15. bgrisso Dec 10, 2018

People often argue with their spouse about who will be servicing whom, and what exactly will be provided in said service. ;)

Omega is a cruel mistress......

16. Fatcat Dec 10, 2018

My experience with Official Omega service for my ST 68 was clearly requested from the beginning : no polishing, no change dial,no change hands, no change bezel , no change pusher , change the hesalite as it was beyond repair, the request was done at the OB, after 1 week I receive the Omega service document stating all asked and waiting on me for final confirmation .

After watch was service internal part of the movement gaskets and hesalite comes back in a pouch but no real value inside .

For me they work as you ask but ask, if not you get a Frankenstein watch.

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 10, 2018

Incorrect.

18. ext1 Dec 10, 2018

So my experience with Bienne: I made the decision to send in my 2998-5 because it was just missing too many darn movement parts for an independent watchmaker to work on. I requested also no polishing, no change in dial, no change in hands. But I was told that if they somehow decide that the dials or whatnot needed to be changed they will be changed and put in a cheapo bag. That did worry me but luckily that didn't happen. After service I also got a few old movement parts and such in a bag back.

19. khanmu Dec 10, 2018

You can see exactly what they would do on this eBay listing as an example - SM300 165.024 - Omega replaced the dial, hands, crown, crystal, bezel and case...now being advertised as “minty and new with Omega warranty...”

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Se...765044?hash=item260cc17ff4:g:aRMAAOSwjrFcDT8cPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

At least they gave him an extract dating the movement to 1963
    ::facepalm1::
    C0A2563F-9FDD-4F3F-ABC0-FF6960C1F086.jpeg A0DB892B-EC54-463C-B0C2-8167D5BC5D53.png

20. abrod520 Dec 10, 2018

That's not from an Omega service, that watch is a "Watchco" - type build. All parts are available to build your own new Seamaster 300, save the movement. Lots of shops do this