Forums Latest Members
  1. Radiozoop Sep 15, 2018

Which would you choose? I have an Omega CK 2451 I picked up last year for a steal. Obviously, it contains the venerable Cal. 321 so it is a great conversation starter (even though it's not a Speedy). On the other hand, I have a 2016 Speedmaster Professional which I picked up this week. Although I planned to flip my CK2451 to fund this purchase, I am having some apprehension as I truly do love that watch and I don't know if I'll come across one again for a decent price. I know that the Speedy will always be there and I actually kinda want to pick up a 321 Speedy at some point in the future (when I'm not in engineering school!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your opinions, y'all!

Radiozoop

Etp095, murph and Edward53 like this.
  2. Vintagewtchzilla Sep 15, 2018

depends on your taste .... i wouldn't become happy with a modern sterile watch.... i need some patina ...

the only one watch question is often discussed and as the collection changes the "one and only can change" but at the moment i would stick with my 2913 as it has everything i love ...

rkman11 and Radiozoop like this.
  3. Co-axial Sep 15, 2018

Can't you keep both?

Etp095 likes this.
  4. Radiozoop Sep 15, 2018

Heh, I wish. So being a "watch guy" and a full-time student are kinda in competition with each other. Financially (because although I would love to keep both) I have to make a decision and offload one or the other. I worked my ass off to try and get myself to where I can flip my way up to a Speedy, because that is my dream watch. However, I've fallen for my CK 2451 pretty hard and I'm having a tough time deciding. My only problem with the Speedy is that I LOVE vintage pieces and the Speedy is too "new" for me and I really lust after a 321 Speedmaster (definitely out of the picture until I graduate).

I've been wearing the Speedmaster the past couple of days and although it is definitely an awesome piece, as the other poster in this thread said, it is "sterile" and lacking the character I seek.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 15, 2018

Keep the CK2451 it's really a camouflaged 321 speedmaster

Etp095, Longbow, Marty McDawg and 3 others like this.
  6. krogerfoot Sep 15, 2018

I think you'll regret parting with a watch that has brought you so much enjoyment. My answer to your title question would unreservedly be the CK2451. Speedmasters will continue to be around and available long after you graduate. I don't think you'll gain much satisfaction trading a possession that represents so much to you for something that you don't love. Listen to your heart, young sir.

Edward53 likes this.
  7. paulw Sep 15, 2018

Well of the two putting aside everything bit visual appeal, for me it would be the older watch. But then, I've never really liked Speedmaster's that much and let's be honest about it they are quite 'common' in many respects:)
    Paul

Edward53 likes this.
  8. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Sep 15, 2018

It’s a hard dilemma, so sell the watch that you enjoy less. Also krogerfoot is right that you can always find a new speedmaster(although I don’t know if they will get more expensive in the future).

9. Edward53 Sep 15, 2018

Personally I much prefer the 321. You can always find a modern - and to me, characterless - Speedmaster, but you can't replace that nice 321. And IMO there is something extra special about a nice watch that was also a real bargain. Just because it was "easy come" it shouldn't be taken for granted. You might be more sentimentally attached to it than you realise and wish you'd never sold it. I know I've made that mistake and regretted it. Just my two pence worth.

Radiozoop likes this.
  10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Sep 15, 2018

There's so many that pass through your mind when this often asked question pops up. The 24j Illinois, The Hamilton 992B, the Omega Techron, The Tresor... But then reality checks in and if you're completely honest with yourself, if you can only have one watch, it will need to be something completely bulletproof, dead reliable and very accurate so...

P1010581.JPG
    yup... quartz.

11. stefman Sep 15, 2018

I was going to say the modern Speedy because it's such a versatile watch, but the weight of the 321 movement in the CK2451 is quite strong.

12. many Sep 15, 2018

You can always get a 1861 speedy. It’s just going to get more and more difficult to find a well sorted ck2451.

gminnj likes this.
  13. Dan S Sep 15, 2018

14. davidswiss Sep 15, 2018

If it was a straight choice between your watch and a 321 speedy then the speedy would be the most attractive, but it isn't.
    There are a lot of modern speedies on the market but not so many cal 321 2451's.
    Keep the CK2451.

murph and Radiozoop like this.
  15. Albe100 Sep 15, 2018

I think you answered your own question. Sell the new speedie, you can always come back to this, but the CK may be more difficult to source later on.
    And if you lust for a 321, the modern speedie may not fill that void, even in the interim ;)

murph and Radiozoop like this.
  16. ext1 Sep 15, 2018

Full time student here as well. I only was able to dip my anything into watches because of my full scholarship. When 321 speedys started increasing I feared it will eventually go out of my budget indefinitely so I worked a lot of part time and sold a lot of stuff I had to get the funds. I agree with the others on this thread that the modern speedy comes by the dozen and you can always return to it anytime you want. If I were in your situation I would sell both and work my way up to a 321 speedy.

Radiozoop likes this.
  17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 15, 2018

What a disappointment ::confused2::, I thought this was going to be about wives.

stefman, davidswiss, TexOmega and 3 others like this.
  18. sevenhelmet Sep 15, 2018

That 321 is a beauty. I love my Moonwatch, but if this were me, and I had to choose, I'd keep the 321 over it in a heartbeat.

Radiozoop likes this.
  19. gminnj Sep 15, 2018

As others have said, you can get a new/newer moonwatch any day of the week.

Keep the beautiful vintage piece. Then add to your collection as you are able.

Radiozoop likes this.
  20. Radiozoop Sep 15, 2018

Good morning all,

Wow, I'm so excited to wake up to a thread that has taken off. I appreciate all your kind suggestions and advice with my dilemma. I think I'm going to do the responsible thing and keep both for as long as I can stretch it, and if it comes down to absolutely NEEDING to sell one, I'm going to off the 1861 Speedy.
    This is definitely a possibility if the right watch comes around.

Thanks!

Radiozoop